NBA Ref Fixes Games for the Mob

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 07:59 AM)
haha this is funny...ive jokingly made comments about this ever since the LA-Portland series several years ago. Of course, i was mostly kidding, but its funny to see this now. I wonder how long back these allegations are going to encompass

I've thought game 6 of LA/Sacto back in, when was it, 01, was fixed since I watched it. Game in Sacto, but the Kings wind up with 3x as many fouls called on them as the Lakers, thus managing to guarantee a game 7.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 09:50 AM)
This is very insane and if it gets any wider could certainly effect the integrity of the game.

Oh.. if I were you I'd consider the integrity of the game just about gone.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
I've thought game 6 of LA/Sacto back in, when was it, 01, was fixed since I watched it. Game in Sacto, but the Kings wind up with 3x as many fouls called on them as the Lakers, thus managing to guarantee a game 7.

Thats what i was referring to, not Portland but Sacto i forgot who. I just remember seeing replays of Shaq getting "fouled" on plays where he isnt touched and the defender standing straight up. The commentators eventually starting making guarded statements about that as well. Was it really fixed or not right? I dunno, i joked about it but was only half serious, but now you dont know.

In particular I always thought the Sacto-Lakers game was fixed that went into overtime where Mike Bibby was basically punched in the face by Kobe to get the ball back, and no foul was called. It was pretty hard to watch the rest of the game(which was over shortly thereafter).

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
In particular I always thought the Sacto-Lakers game was fixed that went into overtime where Mike Bibby was basically punched in the face by Kobe to get the ball back, and no foul was called. It was pretty hard to watch the rest of the game(which was over shortly thereafter).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)

It was game 6 of the West Finals in 2002 at Staples Center, LA and Sacramento indeed. That was the most obviously fixed game I've ever seen and I've been saying that since the moment that game ended. The NBA obviously wanted that to go 7 games or it wouldn't have.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 09:44 AM)
This is about the least surprising news of the year, anybody who watched NBA games over the years and didn't think some of them were fixed is watching with 2 eyes closed.

Well I think people could make a case that the NBA was potentially doing that (to get ratings) but I didn't think the mob was in on it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
Well I think people could make a case that the NBA was potentially doing that (to get ratings) but I didn't think the mob was in on it.

If someone had money on the Lakers in the series...that would have worked the same way. Up 3-2 with 2 games at home, Sacto should have won that series by any and all accounts, which means that there was probably some big odds available on the Lakers coming back.

Joey has been pulling that stuff for years, he is known for being a hothead. Its strange to me that this would come to light, after one of the more senior refs in the league is absent from the playoff crew. Im probably connecting dots that arent there, but its a thought :)

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 01:25 PM)
I guarantee it's worse at the NCAA level.

This response brings a question to my mind. I'm by no means singling you out, B>W, because I've heard plenty of people say the same thing, but my question to everyone is, if you truly believe that the games are fixed, why are you watching?

In basketball, the players are supposed to care about who wins, and the refs are not.

in the NBA, the players don't care who wins the game, but apparently the refs do.

Yet another reason to not follow the NBA.

B>W, I think its probably the opposite - this sort of thing is a lot more common in the NBA than the NCAA, for the very reasons I stated above.

First of all, the ref is Tim Donaghy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2943095

Second of all, check this out:

In a live radio broadcast on Friday July 20th current ESPN writer Marc Stein is reporting that Donaghy was working a side job as time keeper in the 2004-05 Spurs vs. Lakers game 5 where Derek Fisher made the winning shot with .4 of a second left on the clock. Stein says he had $20K riding on the Lakers and started the clock .2 seconds late enabling Fisher to make the game winning buzzer beater and keeping the Spurs from a 3-peat.

I KNEW IT!! I've said for 3 years it was impossible for somebody to catch, turn in mid air, and shoot in 0.4 seconds. I'm sure there is more to come, but that is no surprise. So this guy cost the Spurs a trip to the NBA Finals and perhaps another title. Yikes.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
First of all, the ref is Tim Donaghy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2943095

Second of all, check this out:

I KNEW IT!! I've said for 3 years it was impossible for somebody to catch, turn in mid air, and shoot in 0.4 seconds. I'm sure there is more to come, but that is no surprise. So this guy cost the Spurs a trip to the NBA Finals and perhaps another title. Yikes.

What else have you known for years?

I also knew that all the Kings/Lakers series were fixed. I never had any real evidence or vindication, but it was always in the back of my mind. Remember when Doug Christie's chin fouled Kobe's elbow? Yeah. All those years, the Kings were the best team in the NBA. I felt so bad for Webber. After the Bulls, that was my favorite team.