NBA Ref Fixes Games for the Mob

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
I also knew that all the Kings/Lakers series were fixed. I never had any real evidence or vindication, but it was always in the back of my mind. Remember when Doug Christie's chin fouled Kobe's elbow? Yeah.

That's the play a lot of people remember. Game 6 was the worst though, Lakers shot 27 free throws in the 4th quarter alone, Vlade fouled out, Pollard fouled out, Webber had 5 fouls, and Shaq had 4 and was never really in any foul trouble, so the Lakers 5 field goals made to the Kings 10 in the 4th quarter of a game that was tied after 3 wasn't enough.

And no, I don't know that off hand, I am reading off the box score and recap in the nba.com archives.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 'mystery' fould in every game. Refs making a call where there are 5 players between the ref and the supposed foul. They 'assume' alot, and thus are wrong alot. However this doesn't suprise me. I hope the league had a good vetting process for the refs and that this guy went to some extreme measures to get around it, or Stern may need some Rolaids.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 05:00 PM)
3 minutes of searching on Google, and you find that the infamous 2002 game 6 was reffed by #27 Dick Bavetta , #16 Ted Bernhardt , and #26 Bob Delaney.

So? I doubt this ref today is the only one doing this stuff, he's just the only one (so far) to get caught.

This response brings a question to my mind. I'm by no means singling you out, B>W, because I've heard plenty of people say the same thing, but my question to everyone is, if you truly believe that the games are fixed, why are you watching?

I thought you were going to ask "why don't you prove it?"

Seriously B>W, if you can guarantee, like testify in court, that NCAA officials are worse, what is holding you back? I would love to have the games cleaned up. Please come forward to the FBI with your information.

A few notables.

LA Times piece:

Donaghy was one of three referees who worked the infamous NBA game between the Detroit Pistons and Indiana Pacers in November 2004, in which nine players were suspended for a skirmish between the teams that escalated into a brawl with fans in Auburn Hills, Mich.

Tribune:

Donaghy, 40, has officiated 772 regular-season games over 13 seasons. One of four NBA officials to attend Cardinal O'Hara High School in suburban Philadelphia, Donaghy worked 68 regular-season games last season, including four Bulls games.

Donaghy also worked five playoff games, none in the conference finals or NBA Finals.

AP:

Donaghy, who reportedly has resigned, was an NBA official for 13 years. He officiated 68 games in the 2005-06 season and 63 games in 2006-07, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. He also worked 20 playoff games, including five last season - Pistons-Magic on April 23; Warriors-Mavericks on April 27; Suns-Lakers on April 29; Nets-Raptors on May 4; and Spurs-Suns on May 12.

Those studying Donaghy's games might have noticed some trends.

When the home team was favored by 0-4½ points, it went 5-12 against the spread in games officiated by Donaghy this season, according to Covers.com, a Web site that tracks referee trends. Home underdogs were 1-7 against the spread when it was 5-9.5 points.

Donaghy was part of a crew working the Heat-Knicks game in New York in February when the Knicks shot 39 free throws to the Heat's eight, technical fouls were called on Heat coach Pat Riley and assistant Ron Rothstein, and the Knicks won by six. New York was favored by 4½.

If he gave the Knicks an extra win, he cost us Greg Oden.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)
I also knew that all the Kings/Lakers series were fixed. I never had any real evidence or vindication, but it was always in the back of my mind. Remember when Doug Christie's chin fouled Kobe's elbow? Yeah. All those years, the Kings were the best team in the NBA. I felt so bad for Webber. After the Bulls, that was my favorite team.

It was Bibby, and I think it was his nose; Kobe just went gangbusters into him trying to get the ball on an inbound, elbowed him in the face, and then got a foul called on Bibby.

That was one of the most disappointing times I recall ever watching the NBA. It actually turned me off the game for a little bit just because of how blatant it was.

http://test.denverpost.com/sports/ci_6434030','231

This is a classic case of an article that somehow buries a glaring lead.

According to a source, the NBA has been aware of the FBI investigation since January and had suspicions regarding Donaghy and gambling.

Well Mr. Stern, the man who orchestrated the idea of the NBA Draft Lottery and the Ewing frozen envelope, WHY was this guy reffing games after January? Why was allowed to be the ref of five PLAYOFF games, including the epically poor officiated game 3 of the Spurs/Suns series, when you had already known for 3 months plus at that point that Donaghy had the FBI on his ass? That is just plain sickening.

Donaghy getting threatened

Unsurprisingly, Donaghy is getting threats now, but to add to this is this interesting quote:

The Daily News reported Sunday, citing unidentified law enforcement sources, that Donaghy will cooperate with authorities and possibly name other officials and players involved in the betting scandal.

So, now we may have more officials and players involved. This just keeps getting worse.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)
Donaghy getting threatened

Unsurprisingly, Donaghy is getting threats now, but to add to this is this interesting quote:

So, now we may have more officials and players involved. This just keeps getting worse.

Not surprising though. The odds of this going on, but just one single official being the only party involved are slim to none and slim left town. I have doubts as to if players are involved too, but I'd be surprised if there weren't other refs involved. Just too unlikely it's isolated to this one ref.

This is everything that Stern and his sh** eating grin have been laughing off for the past 20 years. You have a serious problem when the integrity of the game is questioned, as it has been for a while. The problem increases 1000X when the integrity of the game is compromised, Stern is going to have quite an uphill battle to regain the respect of the fans that pay to watch this game.

If the Association was aware since January that Donaghy was under investigation and allowed him to work games, then every fan who attended those games deserves a full refund and the entire executive offices of the Association should resign forthwith.

I realize that none of this will happen, but they suits in New York should realize that most of the people who were on the fence about the quality of play and officiating just jumped off the fence and are walking away. I let my partial season tickets lapse a few years ago, but it'll be a very long time before I pay for an NBA ticket, if indeed I ever do.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
If the Association was aware since January that Donaghy was under investigation and allowed him to work games, then every fan who attended those games deserves a full refund and the entire executive offices of the Association should resign forthwith.

I realize that none of this will happen, but they suits in New York should realize that most of the people who were on the fence about the quality of play and officiating just jumped off the fence and are walking away. I let my partial season tickets lapse a few years ago, but it'll be a very long time before I pay for an NBA ticket, if indeed I ever do.

Harsh but somewhat true.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
Harsh but somewhat true.

Harsh, yes, but that's how I feel, and I'm sure I'm not alone. The only thing I can see is that if the FBI told the NBA that they needed more time to make a case against some other people involved and would you please shut up about it -- then I understand, I guess.

Still, though, the NBA should have told the FBI that Donaghy wouldn't be working any playoff games, so they better get their investigation wrapped up by then.

Stern has a lot of work to do.

I was discussing this at work today and became curious if any other sports have been fixed on this level. I honestly must have been too naive but I always doubted professional sports were fixed. I had the friends that always said the fix was in or that Vegas calls the shots.

My question is, how often do you guys think this happens and in what other sports?

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 09:28 PM)
I was discussing this at work today and became curious if any other sports have been fixed on this level. I honestly must have been too naive but I always doubted professional sports were fixed. I had the friends that always said the fix was in or that Vegas calls the shots.

My question is, how often do you guys think this happens and in what other sports?

Well among the 4 major sports, IMO it is just about impossible to fix hockey and baseball like this. Football is somewhat possible, but that is another sport that would be very hard to fix. The one thing you could say if there is holding on every play, but besides that.....I mean Super Bowl 40 was as bad as it gets for officials, and even Mike Holmgren rightly said "maybe we would have won if not for the guys in the striped shirts", but who knows. The NFL is the most likely sport to be "run by Vegas" since, as much as people hate to admit it, gambling is the ONLY reason the NFL is so popular, but to fix a football game without it being obvious would be very hard to do.

Basketball is the one game where the officials directly affect almost every game, and every official calls a game different, and that is why it will always have problems with integrity questions and the refs. I bet this isn't the first time it's happened, but it's so hard to prove. It just so happened this time, Donaghy got into such a deep hole that he ended up making it obvious for the investigators. The NBA is never going to be the same though now that the conspiracy theorists have been proven right, the NCAA has had stuff like with CCNY and Arizona State, but not only is this the first NBA gambling scandal, but it's the first at any level I can remember with the ref as the culprit. Strange stuff.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)
Well in baseball, lets say someone wanted to bet the over/under. The homeplate umpire could call a smaller strike zone to try to force the game to go over and vice versa.

Its easier to fix a game through the players than it is through the umpires. Even if an umpire opens up or shrinks the strike zone, he still doesnt have control of what the pitcher and hitter are going to do. If the zone is tight, the hitter still may swing at a pitch he percieves to be good and ground out, and if the zone is wide open, the hitter could get a hanging curvevball and go yard. Baseball is a really unpredictable sport, i think it would be really hard for an ump to control an outcome.