7/20 games

whitesoxfan101

Charlotte leads 4-3 at Scranton/Wilkes Barre in the 5th. Broadway on the hill.

Birmingham hosting Chattanooga, 0-0 in the 2nd. Ryan Wing on the bump.

Winston-Salem is hosting Myrtle Beach for a doubleheader, but the start is being delayed by rain.

Kanny trails 6-2 at Charleston in the 6th, game delayed by rain right now. Rasner hit hard.

Red hot Great Falls is at Ogden, 8 PM start.

Bristol with a doubleheader today as well, hosting Bluefield. They won game one by a 1-0 count in "extra" innings (nine). Po-Yu Lin threw a gew, 8.1 innings of shutout ball, allowing only 4 hits, with 5 k's and 2 walks. Had 10 air outs and 10 groundouts. However he got the no decision, as Tollefson got the last 2 outs of the top of the 9th and Bristol won it in the bottom half. Game 2 to come...

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Richar had his 13 game hit streak get snapped. Broadway was average.

Wing threw a gem.

Carter hit bomb #21, but his average dropped to .285 with a 1-4 showing. I'm no longer on the promote Carter bandwagon, he's been struggling, but I wouldn't be opposed to him getting moved up.

Ely was solid for GF, and the offense scored 17 runs on 25 hits. The GF Sox won their 14th game in their last 16 (they just had a 9 game win streak snapped yesterday).

Morales pitched well and Bristol concluded the day by giving up just 1 run in 16 innings.

I'm too lazy to post box scores or anything else, but that's a halfway decent summary.

I haven't been following the rookie league box scores, so I just realized we signed Kenneth Gilbert. I don't know when this happened, but I think that's great news. I picked him as my AAP, so I'll try to get something up shortly.

And that C.J. Retherford has pretty good #'s so far at Great Falls (yes, i know i know... it's great falls). It just caught my eye b/c he was an undrafted free agent who's doing better than a lot of actual draftees.

Monday and or Tuesday I'll be seeing Great Falls play against the Orem Owlz. This has become like an annual family event. This year I'm more excited than usual because Great Falls has been doing so well, unlike previous years. Last year it was pretty cool. We sat right behind the Sox dugout and were the only people hooting and hollering for the Sox. There were a few other Sox fans but none as loud as my family. The team was totally aware of our presence and several players waved to us.

:gosox2:

There were a few other Sox fans but none as loud as my family. The team was totally aware of our presence and several players waved to us.

Last week my family and I were in Columbus to catch both of the Knight games. There were a couple of other Sox fans there. Friday night when Casey hit his Grand Slam we were the only fans standing and cheering at 1st, then some of the Clipper's fans stood and cheered. An inning earlier Casey threw my boy a ball.

When our farm teams are on the road and you cheer them and call out their names they are aware of your presence and we have even had them come over and talk to us after the game. My kids think it's pretty neat.

505501.jpg

I haven't been following the rookie league box scores, so I just realized we signed Kenneth Gilbert. I don't know when this happened, but I think that's great news.

Totally agree, the more speedy CF prospects in the system, the better. Three guys the Sox scouts were high on are now in the organization ... Estill and Gilbert at GF and Kent Gerst from last year's draft in Bristol.

The Sox hopefully can get the SS prospect Brian Guinn signed. Not sure if they'll be able to but there was a note in the Tribune about 10 days ago indicating they were working hard to get it done. It is somewhat complicated. These kids and their agents feel they should be drafted in the first 5 rounds and want that type of money to sign. The Commissioner's office is asking to review any signing bonuses over slot and most teams are adhering to slot guidelines, if they go over it's only by a couple thousand $. There are certain ways around it, usually involving paying for school and other guarantees.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
Totally agree, the more speedy CF prospects in the system, the better. Three guys the Sox scouts were high on are now in the organization ... Estill and Gilbert at GF and Kent Gerst from last year's draft in Bristol.

The Sox hopefully can get the SS prospect Brian Guinn signed. Not sure if they'll be able to but there was a note in the Tribune about 10 days ago indicating they were working hard to get it done. It is somewhat complicated. These kids and their agents feel they should be drafted in the first 5 rounds and want that type of money to sign. The Commissioner's office is asking to review any signing bonuses over slot and most teams are adhering to slot guidelines, if they go over it's only by a couple thousand $. There are certain ways around it, usually involving paying for school and other guarantees.

I swear I've seen your username before, but I guess not since that was your first post. Anyway, great way to start off here. Sound like you know what you're talking about. Welcome to SoxTalk! :cheers

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
I swear I've seen your username before, but I guess not since that was your first post. Anyway, great way to start off here. Sound like you know what you're talking about. Welcome to SoxTalk! :cheers

You have heard his name; not sure if they name didn't transfer over, but I thought it used to be 29thAndPoplar