Beckham debuts

In the past few weeks, I was shrugging off all this hype and kind of got tired of the coverage of David Beckham coming to the US.

I accidentally turned on ESPN during pregame coverage and actually got into a tad. I don't watch soccer or follow it, but found it interesting that so many people were into it. I thought it was kind of cool.

He only played the last 10 minutes. I found out before the game it was just an exhibition game, so I really don't blame Beckham for not playing the entire game.

If it helps soccer in the US get popular, I'm all for it.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
In the past few weeks, I was shrugging off all this hype and kind of got tired of the coverage of David Beckham coming to the US.

I accidentally turned on ESPN during pregame coverage and actually got into a tad. I don't watch soccer or follow it, but found it interesting that so many people were into it. I thought it was kind of cool.

He only played the last 10 minutes. I found out before the game it was just an exhibition game, so I really don't blame Beckham for not playing the entire game.

If it helps soccer in the US get popular, I'm all for it.

I watched the 1st half. Did he play at all?

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 03:20 AM)
All I can say is that Terry is a man, and Beckham should learn from him.

Plays with a toe he broke on Weds, in a game that means nothing, and scores the only goal.

Yep, Backham should man up and take a 250 million dollar gamble.

Are you serious that Beckham is taking a bigger risk of playing than Terry?

Terry is the English Captain, playing on a Premier team, in a game that means NOTHING.

Beckham is done basically, this game meant more to MLS soccer than every other game this season.

Sorry but there is a reason Beckham is playing in the MLS and not in a premier league and its because of his character. He has talent, there is no denying that he can strike the ball as good as anyone. But he lacks the heart and passion to carry a team, and that is why he is playing in America.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
Are you serious that Beckham is taking a bigger risk of playing than Terry?

Terry is the English Captain, playing on a Premier team, in a game that means NOTHING.

Beckham is done basically, this game meant more to MLS soccer than every other game this season.

Sorry but there is a reason Beckham is playing in the MLS and not in a premier league and its because of his character. He has talent, there is no denying that he can strike the ball as good as anyone. But he lacks the heart and passion to carry a team, and that is why he is playing in America.

Considering he just led his Club team to a championship last year, i think your wrong. He is in the US because he is being paid mad money and doing his best to fit into hollywood.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 03:32 AM)
All I can say is that Terry is a man, and Beckham should learn from him.

Plays with a toe he broke on Weds, in a game that means nothing, and scores the only goal.

totally different injuries as a soccer player. Beck had a horrible swollen ankle and manned up enough to force himself to play because he felt he owed it to the fans. No less of a man in any stretch of the word.

Is there any chance that he is playing in the US because he knows that along with his making a TON of money his playing here will also do nothing but make the sport he plays (and possibly loves very much) just that much more popular in the US? I have no interest in the sport, but chances are I will watch a game just to see what the hub-bub is all about.

I don’t know, maybe I just expect too much because I am spoiled by American athletes who play through severe injuries. Sure there are guys who take their time to recover, but there are other guys who go out there and play with separated shoulders etc, and just live through the pain.

I guess it just is not a good way to start in my opinion. I know that he may really be hurt, etc, but I guess I just expect more, and perhaps that is unfair to him. I have not thought he was an elite midfielder for the last few years anyways, his excellence is in his passing and set plays, so he will put on a show with free kicks and corners.

On the other hand, Fire v Celtic was not hyped at all and Blanco put on a show. If anything Fire should have won that game against Celtic.

Blanco was looking good though, almost as if they should have hyped him more.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)
I don’t know, maybe I just expect too much because I am spoiled by American athletes who play through severe injuries. Sure there are guys who take their time to recover, but there are other guys who go out there and play with separated shoulders etc, and just live through the pain.

I guess it just is not a good way to start in my opinion. I know that he may really be hurt, etc, but I guess I just expect more, and perhaps that is unfair to him. I have not thought he was an elite midfielder for the last few years anyways, his excellence is in his passing and set plays, so he will put on a show with free kicks and corners.

On the other hand, Fire v Celtic was not hyped at all and Blanco put on a show. If anything Fire should have won that game against Celtic.

My question is when did ESPN turn into E! News with their celebrity reporting?

An ankle injury for a soccer player is a lot like a wrist injury for a hitter. There's healthy and there is back in playing shape. We've all seen many hitters go down with day-to-day wrist injuries. They can be physically healthy quickly, but they aren't back into playing shape for a bit longer. Beckham's injury isn't a big deal, but it is a serious injury. Every cut, every plant, every change of direction puts pressure on it.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)

Being upset that he didn't play through pain is kinda silly. He essentially played a minimal amount of time in an friendly match due to an injury. That is like being upset that Urlacher didn't play in a pre-season game when his hammy is bothering him.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
Being upset that he didn't play through pain is kinda silly. He essentially played a minimal amount of time in an friendly match due to an injury. That is like being upset that Urlacher didn't play in a pre-season game when his hammy is bothering him.

That's a pretty damn good analogy.

No that is a terrible analogy.

It would be like MJ going to China to make a new Chinese basketball league and the Lakers coming over to play, and then MJ not suiting up for the game because he had an ankle injury.

Im sorry but the MLS season is meaningless, if you want legitamacy in the league they need to beat high powereed teams like Chelsea, etc.

Also, MLS season has already started, LA is the second to last team, so who cares if he sits another 2-3 weeks. MLS is a joke, they should be taking these friendlys like the world series.

Just like its more important for a Japanese team to beat a USA team when they go to Japan. A win against top competition brings legitimacy.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 12:15 AM)
No that is a terrible analogy.

It would be like MJ going to China to make a new Chinese basketball league and the Lakers coming over to play, and then MJ not suiting up for the game because he had an ankle injury.

Im sorry but the MLS season is meaningless, if you want legitamacy in the league they need to beat high powereed teams like Chelsea, etc.

Also, MLS season has already started, LA is the second to last team, so who cares if he sits another 2-3 weeks. MLS is a joke, they should be taking these friendlys like the world series.

Just like its more important for a Japanese team to beat a USA team when they go to Japan. A win against top competition brings legitimacy.

While beating these teams is important, they are in training. This isn't these teams in their top form. It's like Spring Training for them. The point is to make the MLS season big and that is going to happen with bringing guys like Beckahm over.

• 4 weeks later...