It's Official: We Are Now Tied for Last Place in the Central

LVSoxFan

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
And our draft slot keeps improving.

Way to find the bright side. Hopefully there aren't many Boras clients atop the draft class because we're on the fast track to our first top 10 pick in about a decade.

I can't wait for some of our youngsters to get here. Losing sucks, but losing with some of our young talent would be easier to watch. I especially want to see Richar, Sweeney, Russell and Gio out there (although I doubt KW would call up Gio so soon).

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
Way to find the bright side. Hopefully there aren't many Boras clients atop the draft class because we're on the fast track to our first top 10 pick in about a decade.

I can't wait for some of our youngsters to get here. Losing sucks, but losing with some of our young talent would be easier to watch. I especially want to see Richar, Sweeney, Russell and Gio out there (although I doubt KW would call up Gio so soon).

I do not want to see Gio up this year, and I hesitate to bring up Russell as well, esp. since neither of them has jumped to AAA yet, and Russell just moved to the pen. Floyd, Richar, Sweeney, and Owens should, IMO, play every day/pitch every 5 days for August and September.

I want Gio to be ready to be called up if Garland or Vazquez is dealt at the deadline next year. That's where I'd pencil Gio in for.

Ozzie now feels (as of Saturday that is) that we are out of it. There is no chance for this team to make a run at it. It is all pride from now on. I hope that we don't have to settle for just concentrating on the race between the Royals and Sox to stay out of the basement.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)
Ozzie now feels (as of Saturday that is) that we are out of it. There is no chance for this team to make a run at it. It is all pride from now on. I hope that we don't have to settle for just concentrating on the race between the Royals and Sox to stay out of the basement.

You don't have to settle for just concentrating on that race. You've got the race for draft position and the NFL preseason! And the occasional Michael Vick trial and so forth!

I got flamed pretty good in the off season when I started comparing the Sox to the Marlins. I wish I knew how to find wtf I actually wrote but every time I try the search engine is off. And even if it wasnt I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. I love the Sox and don't hate any players because not everyone can be a star. However that being said its time for KW to pull the switch on some huge trades. I have no doubt we'll see some major changes. High salaried players and oft injured players will depart and we should get some athletic youth near major league ready.

It would be a shame to see anyone on the starting staff go besides Contreras and it sures seems like Dye will be gone too. Doubt those 2 will bring as much talent as we need so others will also be gone. I wouldn't be shocked if even Konerko, Buerhle or AJ is traded. Kenny can't half ass it like he did in the off season. Promises were made by Sox management to keep improving the team if the turnstiles kept turning then they reneged when they professed shock over the rising costs of free agents. Thats when I think I knew we were in trouble. Very rarely can you compete when you go cheap and rid yourself of talented players.

Kenny caught lightning in a bottle with the moves he made to bring us a title. Every move he made seemed to pan out well. As many have stated before me I'll be forever thankful for 2005. But its time for follow the Marlin blueprint and see if we can get back to the playoffs in 3-5 years. I know that seems like a lifetime to some of our youthful posters. Many of our forefathers lived n died rooting for hapless White Sox teams. It isn't that long when you keep it in perspective. So Kenny pull the trigger and do it right . There's a lot of holes to fill.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
That means absof***inglutley nothing.

God, I am so sick of people mentioning the draft position in the MLB Draft

Dude, seriously, do you think I wouldn't prefer to be 25 games over 500 and on our way back to the playoffs? I may as well make a silver lining type joke here. Can't hurt right?

I did some checking in the White Sox Encyclopedia and from what I can tell, we are on a pace to potentially finish last in the division which hasn't happened since 1989.

Man! How did we fall so far from just two years ago!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
I'll take 95 losses and a top 5 pick over a 84 losses and a mid first round pick. But hey, that's just me.

As would I, but the thing that scares me is the drafting philosophy of KW & Co. and the non-dealing with Boras clients. This year would've been a great year to deal with him when it came to the draft.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)
I got flamed pretty good in the off season when I started comparing the Sox to the Marlins. I wish I knew how to find wtf I actually wrote but every time I try the search engine is off. And even if it wasnt I'm not exactly sure how to go about it.

There's a way to search specific url's in google under "advanced."

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
Wow. When was the last time we were in last place? I cannot even remember.

Not counting opening days and the first week or so of a season, its been a while since the Sox have been in the cellar this late. 73-93 their last 166. Someone is going to have to take a hit this offseason you would think. If Ozzie had taken this season off, whoever took his place would be gone now or gone immediately after the season ended. Its going to be interesting to see if some sort of blood bath takes place after this season. I think Ozzie and KW are probably safe, but someone is going to be the fall guy.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
I'll take 95 losses and a top 5 pick over a 84 losses and a mid first round pick. But hey, that's just me.

Most would, but the bandwagon season ticketholders are more likely to renew the other way around. If 20% drop out, does the payroll drop 20%?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 06:10 PM)
Most would, but the bandwagon season ticketholders are more likely to renew the other way around. If 20% drop out, does the payroll drop 20%?

That would really, really suck. Honest question, do you really think we'd lose that many season ticket holders from 11 loses that mean nothing? You're probably right, but it's an interesting thought.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 06:11 PM)
That would really, really suck. Honest question, do you really think we'd lose that many season ticket holders from 11 loses that mean nothing? You're probably right, but it's an interesting thought.

I don't even think the White Sox know the answer to that. The other problem is even if they get hot and finish around .500, they really have been a bore of a team to watch this year. That's going to be a hard sell with the guys pretty far up in the upper tank. I think there is going to be a massive drop off, but I also thought that would happen to the Bulls once Jordan left. JR and his friends made even more money losing. I remember a Barry Rozner article interviewing a partner with the Bulls talking about how embarrassed he was at the money he was making with such a horrid team. The pre-Jordan Bulls were less popular in Chicago than the pre-World Champion White Sox. I would imagine though, if projected attendance is going to drop significantly, so will the payroll. That's why I would have liked to have seen KW pull the plug a little earlier and deal some big contracts. He could have used this year's savings on next year's roster.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)
I don't even think the White Sox know the answer to that. The other problem is even if they get hot and finish around .500, they really have been a bore of a team to watch this year. That's going to be a hard sell with the guys pretty far up in the upper tank. I think there is going to be a massive drop off, but I also thought that would happen to the Bulls once Jordan left. JR and his friends made even more money losing. I remember a Barry Rozner article interviewing a partner with the Bulls talking about how embarrassed he was at the money he was making with such a horrid team. The pre-Jordan Bulls were less popular in Chicago than the pre-World Champion White Sox. I would imagine though, if projected attendance is going to drop significantly, so will the payroll. That's why I would have liked to have seen KW pull the plug a little earlier and deal some big contracts. He could have used this year's savings on next year's roster.

Two totally different animals, though.

I hate your sig...

It has been over 6 years since the White Sox last found themselves alone in the cellar of the American League Central. You have to go all the way back to May 25th, 2001 to find the last occurrence that did not take place in the month of April. The White Sox have never finished a season any lower than 3rd place in the AL Central. If the Sox lose tomorrow and the Royals win it will be the latest in the season that the Sox have ever found themselves in 5th place (7/23) with July 12, 1998 being the previous low point.

The last time the Sox finished a season alone in last place of their division was 1989 when they finished 29.5 games back of the Oakland Athletics in the American League West.

Days spent alone in Last place of the AL Central (May 1st or later):

2007: 0 (tied for last)

2006: 0

2005: 0

2004: 0

2003: 0

2002: 0

2001: 12 (latest: 5/25)

2000: 0

1999: 0

1998: 4 (latest: 7/12)

1997: 8 (latest: 6/20)

1996: 0

1995: 0

1994: 0

Total: 25 days

Days spent alone in last place of the AL West (May 1st or later):

1993: 0

1992: 0

1991: 3 (latest: 6/21)

1990: 0

1989: 134 (finished in last)

So going back to 1990 the Sox have spent a grand total of 28 days alone in last place from May 1st or later.