Does Owens stink?

greg775

Owens has hit safely in 12 consecutive starts and is batting .301 (19-for-63) since being recalled July 3 from Charlotte

July numbers:

.299 .356 7-10 sb

How many of the balls in play even left the infield?

Alex sanchez used to be the same type of player, and look at where he's at.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 08:11 PM)
How many of the balls in play even left the infield?

Alex sanchez used to be the same type of player, and look at where he's at.

It's funny looking at Jerry Owens' Hit Chart he hasn't hit a ball further than ~270 feet down either line or ~310 feet to centerfield also the vast majority of his flyouts are right at people rather than in the gaps. It's still crazy to me that he has 29 hits this season and 27 of them are singles, that's insane. You'd think he'd get lucky every once in a while and have a ball slice away from an outfielder but I guess you have to hit a ball with authority in order for it to slice.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
Seriously, folks, he's a rookie. He barely has any at bats in the major leagues, and overall, there are high school kids who have probably played more baseball than he has.

That brings up a question, and I'm not picking on Owens specifically here,

Do a lot of players that don't have much baseball experience in HS or college make it up to the big leauges. and have succesful careers? I mean guys that have played other sports besides baseball and are great natural athletes. It seems like most of these guys fail. Bo Jackson is obviously an example of a success but for every Bo, there seems to be lots of Borchard's and Henson's. Guys who are great athletes but don't have baseball skill.

Is it worth investing tons of money in 'great atheletes' because they played ball well in college and showed some potential based on pure athelticism but never make it because they're ot polished baseball players? There are plenty of guys wiht less athelticism that make the majors because they do the little things.

Bob

Another way to ask this.

Ozzie is going to have his limited power small guy at the top of the order next year no matter what. Assume this statement is correct, and then answer this question: who would you like that to be?

1. Scott Podsednik

2. Darrin Erstad

3. Jerry Owens

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 03:12 PM)
Another way to ask this.

Ozzie is going to have his limited power small guy at the top of the order next year no matter what. Assume this statement is correct, and then answer this question: who would you like that to be?

1. Scott Podsednik

2. Darrin Erstad

3. Jerry Owens

Jose Reyes. :)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 03:12 PM)
Another way to ask this.

1. Scott Podsednik

2. Darrin Erstad

3. Jerry Owens

i personally think the organization needs to take a serious look at ryan sweeney as a leadoff hitter.....no hes not a burner, but if sweeney can hit .275 with a .350 obp 12 HR and 15 SBs id be thrilled with that...that said he wont hit that in his first year probably, but in reality sweeney will never be a power hitter, and i think he could be a very effective top of the order guy, especially if he can continue to reach base more...

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 01:58 PM)
Owens in July:

.293 .341 8 sb 1 2b. Basically 9 doubles. 5bb 11k

not really that bad. If he keeps developing at this rate, he could actually be a leadoff hitter. That and his defense in CF has surprised the s*** out of me.

Luis Terrerro was good for a few at-bats, too.

Jerry Owens upside is Juan Pierre. If that does it for you then great.

To me the only way that he starts is if:

1. He can play an adequate CF.

2. He has an OBP of atleast .370.

3. He steals atleast 50 bases with an 85 % success rate.

Otherwise, it's not worth the bat you lose if he has to play LF. He has NO power so he MUST get on base a lot. He is showing himself to be a pretty good base stealer already so if he can get even better and hit .300 while drawing walks and takes care of Center ...well ....then you have Pierre but cheaper. If not, he's a 4th OF er.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)
Jerry Owens upside is Juan Pierre. If that does it for you then great.

To me the only way that he starts is if:

1. He can play an adequate CF.

2. He has an OBP of atleast .370.

3. He steals atleast 50 bases with an 85 % success rate.

Otherwise, it's not worth the bat you lose if he has to play LF. He has NO power so he MUST get on base a lot. He is showing himself to be a pretty good base stealer already so if he can get even better and hit .300 while drawing walks and takes care of Center ...well ....then you have Pierre but cheaper. If not, he's a 4th OF er.

i think his upside is juan pierre right now, not juan pierre of 2003....i also dont think hell be quite the base stealer pierre was/is