Todays Roster Moves

joeynach

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
if good means barely hitting the ball out of the infield, then yes, Jerry Owens is awesome.

I don't give a f*** if he bunts everytime he gets up.. hes hitting like .299 with a .356 OBP in July

Hes getting on base, and is our only speed we have.. open your eyes

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
I don't give a f*** if he bunts everytime he gets up.. hes hitting like .299 with a .356 OBP in July

Hes getting on base, and is our only speed we have.. open your eyes

sorry, but I am not going to jump on the bandwagon of a guy who has only hit for a week... IIRC, mostly everybody wanted to see Owens gone last month, and now since had a good week he is the best thing since Lance Johnson.

Same thing goes for Andy Gonzalez. One good week and everyone was saying how good this guy was. That didn't last now did it?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 03:24 PM)
sorry, but I am not going to jump on the bandwagon of a guy who has only hit for a week... IIRC, mostly everybody wanted to see Owens gone last month, and now since had a good week he is the best thing since Lance Johnson.

Same thing goes for Andy Gonzalez. One good week and everyone was saying how good this guy was. That didn't last now did it?

no he said he is hitting well for july, that is a whole month, keep the kid up.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 03:27 PM)
no he said he is hitting well for july, that is a whole month, keep the kid up.

big whoop... let me know when he hits for a full two months. maybe then I would considered jumping on the bandwagon.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
big whoop... let me know when he hits for a full two months. maybe then I would considered jumping on the bandwagon.

Why does it matter anyways, rather use a spect than have useless players like Erstad or Pods play..i mean hello were in last place.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)
Why does it matter anyways, rather use a spect than have useless players like Erstad or Pods play..i mean hello were in last place.

agreed on that part completely. hopefully after Pods and Erstad re-injury themselves once again, we can finally DFA/release them.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
agreed on that part completely. hopefully after Pods and Erstad re-injury themselves once again, we can finally DFA/release them.

They have no part of this team, makes me think of the Royals pre 2006, using useless veterans for no reason.....i dont want anything to do with pods or erstad.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)

It's a rather weak bandwagon...I'm on it...I'm urging people to not completely write him off yet. If he can get on base at a .350 clip, he'll be a valuable starter. Don't be surprised to see headlines like "Sox want Owens to add strength" during the offseason.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
It's a rather weak bandwagon...I'm on it...I'm urging people to not completely write him off yet. If he can get on base at a .350 clip, he'll be a valuable starter. Don't be surprised to see headlines like "Sox want Owens to add strength" during the offseason.

better than seeing sox want pods to add strength.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 03:24 PM)

Haha, so its being on a bandwagon to want a guy who has been pretty damn good for this month thus far to not get sent down? I am not saying he is a badass who will be our leadoff hitter next year, but why would we send him down when he has come back up and is actually producing?

And its not very good for your anti Owens talk if you don't even understand how he has played this month.. One week eh?

owens has 67 ABs in July.....20 Singles, no doubles, no triples, no homers, 5 walks 7 stolen bases and 3 caught stealing...

so 25 times he has reached base 1st base this month in 72 PA. subtract the three CS and its 22, add 7 as the SBs essentially convert singles to doubles and its basically 29 bases produced in 72 plate appearances, still a pretty crappy ratio

That SB % is exactly the break even point established by sabremetricians with thousands of seasons of data backing that claim up....He hasnt had an extra base hit since his second game on june 2. he is slugging .299 in his "hot" july

so my feelings are his .350 obp in 72 PAs is simply too small of a sample size to jump to the conclusion that he will be effective in the future, especially he when adds literally 0 power.....and i tend to look at the .328 obp and .344 slg in a full season of AAA ball, as a stronger indication that jerry owens' future in the big leaguers will be subpar

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 03:06 PM)
so my feelings are his .350 obp in 72 PAs is simply too small of a sample size to jump to the conclusion that he will be effective in the future, especially he when adds literally 0 power.....and i tend to look at the .328 obp and .344 slg in a full season of AAA ball, as a stronger indication that jerry owens' future in the big leaguers will be subpar

The odds are probably pretty good that you're right.

All I'm saying is...what's the harm in spending a couple months seeing if your wrong? If he fails miserably, then what have we lost this season? More AB for Erstad?

If by some chance, he could hold up that .300 average we've seen in July for more than a couple months, and his stolen base/bunting techniques improve with time, then he fills an awful lot of our needs for next season. Speed, leadoff hitter, OF, cheap, under our control for a while. If he hits .220 in August and September, fine, he's a decent pinch runner if we ever need one. But it doesn't hurt for us to try.