Todays Roster Moves

joeynach

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
owens has 67 ABs in July.....20 Singles, no doubles, no triples, no homers, 5 walks 7 stolen bases and 3 caught stealing...

so 25 times he has reached base 1st base this month in 72 PA. subtract the three CS and its 22, add 7 as the SBs essentially convert singles to doubles and its basically 29 bases produced in 72 plate appearances, still a pretty crappy ratio

That SB % is exactly the break even point established by sabremetricians with thousands of seasons of data backing that claim up....He hasnt had an extra base hit since his second game on june 2. he is slugging .299 in his "hot" july

so my feelings are his .350 obp in 72 PAs is simply too small of a sample size to jump to the conclusion that he will be effective in the future, especially he when adds literally 0 power.....and i tend to look at the .328 obp and .344 slg in a full season of AAA ball, as a stronger indication that jerry owens' future in the big leaguers will be subpar

Ok, but back to the point here..

he is hot right now, so he shouldn't be the one to go.. thats simply all im saying here

I do not think he is our future leadoff hitter, but as long as hes gonna hit .300 and get on base, why move him out of that spot?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 09:06 PM)
If you had to choose one of Erstad or Podsednik to be retained for next season who would you choose? Whoever you pick will start and leadoff, they'll also be paid the same. ($3.25M)

I would say Pods.

Apparently Erstad is still not ready:

Scott Podsednik appears ready to join the White Sox following his Minor League rehab assignment for a strained muscle near his left rib cage, although Darin Erstad will continue working on his sprained left ankle and getting at-bats for Triple-A Charlotte.

"He's still sore, that's what I hear, that he's not 100 percent yet to come back," said manager Ozzie Guillen of Erstad.

Source

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 04:36 PM)
Haha, so its being on a bandwagon to want a guy who has been pretty damn good for this month thus far to not get sent down? I am not saying he is a badass who will be our leadoff hitter next year, but why would we send him down when he has come back up and is actually producing?

And its not very good for your anti Owens talk if you don't even understand how he has played this month.. One week eh?

I'm not anti-owens, I just think he's garbage.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 09:06 PM)
If you had to choose one of Erstad or Podsednik to be retained for next season who would you choose? Whoever you pick will start and leadoff, they'll also be paid the same. ($3.25M)

Is this like Good Will Hunting where Matt Damon says his father made him choose between the belt and tire iron when he was going to get beaten?

I'd take Erstad. That way, the Sox might be able to fill LF with a real over .800 OPS hitter. If Pods is in LF, I doubt the Sox can fill CF with a strong bat. Erstad has a decent glove and putrid on-base percentage. But given Pods legs, all the caught stealings would probably even out the OBP difference. I choose the belt.

Edited by hitlesswonder

what garbage this team has become.

Well said.

Owens is not the answer.

Nice job tonight by Owens 1-for-6; Iguchi 1-4; Thome 0-5; Paulie 0-4. Way to set the table against the

Tigers guys.

How bad was Mark? Wow. This team like you said truly is garbage.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 12:06 AM)
Well said.

Owens is not the answer.

Nice job tonight by Owens 1-for-6; Iguchi 1-4; Thome 0-5; Paulie 0-4. Way to set the table against the

Tigers guys.

How bad was Mark? Wow. This team like you said truly is garbage.

The reason the team lost last night, was the failure of hitters to plate runners in scoring position. It had nothing to do with the table setters getting on. There were plenty of guys on, just not a lot of execution of hitting with RISP. Both teams had opportunities with men on, the tigers hit with men on, we didnt. End of story.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
I remember when everyone was pretty excited about Luis Terrerro

You should have seen the crowd the night he got his first hit. You would have swore he had just hit at walk off hr to give us the WS victory.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)
The reason the team lost last night, was the failure of hitters to plate runners in scoring position. It had nothing to do with the table setters getting on. There were plenty of guys on, just not a lot of execution of hitting with RISP. Both teams had opportunities with men on, the tigers hit with men on, we didnt. End of story.

The reason the Sox lost last night was because Detroit scored 9 runs. It has nothing to do with Greg Walker. If Texas hitting coach was working for the Sox last night, chances are they wouldn't have scored the 10 runs required to win either.To expect an offense to score 10 is silly. 6 is plenty enough to win most of the time, except when you have one of the worst bullpens ever.

Edited by Dick Allen