More on Alomar

Mr. Showtime

From the Star-Ledger:

The Mets and White Sox held conversations over the weekend, according to an American League official familiar with the talks, and the Mets asked for a top minor-league prospect and cash to partially offset Alomar's contract. The White Sox are not immediately willing to give up the unidentified prospect, but are still interested in the concept of acquiring Alomar because they have grown weary of second baseman D'Angelo Jiminez.

Currently the White Sox are divided on Alomar, with some in the organization thinking he is done and others thinking he will be energized joining a contending team in the American League. The Sox, who also have attendance difficulties, think Alomar might help increase their gate in the final three months. They are also in need of some left-handed hitting, and the switch-hitting Alomar is hitting .303 left-handed.

The Sox, who also have attendance difficulties, think Alomar might help increase their gate in the final three months.

I wouldn't mind seeing Roberto Alomar on the Sox, but I can't see how he'll help bring more fans to the Cell. He's really not a big name player. He's probably got more of a bad rep than a good one, with his recent play not being up to par and the whole spitting on the umpire incident.

We got a huge name in Albert Belle a few years ago and I don't remember there being any big difference in attendance then.

Guest Ncorgbl
From the Star-Ledger:

The Mets and White Sox held conversations over the weekend, according to an American League official familiar with the talks, and the Mets asked for a top minor-league prospect and cash to partially offset Alomar's contract. The White Sox are not immediately willing to give up the unidentified prospect, but are still interested in the concept of acquiring Alomar because they have grown weary of second baseman D'Angelo Jiminez.

Currently the White Sox are divided on Alomar, with some in the organization thinking he is done and others thinking he will be energized joining a contending team in the American League. The Sox, who also have attendance difficulties, think Alomar might help increase their gate in the final three months. They are also in need of some left-handed hitting, and the switch-hitting Alomar is hitting .303 left-handed.

Sandy is well respected in the organization and is pushing hard for his brother to come here, as he is totally convinced that the Sox are going to make the playoffs and that it may be his and Robby's last good chance at a ring. Many in the clubhouse are concerned over Robby's attitude and 'chemistry' conflicts that he may bring, and upper management is concerned about his reputation and his public perception from the spitting incident and how it would further fuel the national 'black eye' we already have, however misplaced that black eye may be.

I am against acquiring Alomar, I am tired of former Indians who never won a Series coming here, and their attitudes, excluding Sandy. I believe Miles should come up and see how he'll do, and keep working with Harris. which is Manuel's and his coaches preference to succeed. Further, I don't think we need much help now at all, just some others to start 'stepping up', along with those who already have been. I sincerely believe that naming Valentin 'Captain' would unify and motivate the rest of the team just by it's own, and the talent would come through. I think this thing is so close to being successful, not much is needed, and too much will ruin it.

From the Star-Ledger:

Sandy is well respected in the organization and is pushing hard for his brother to come here, as he is totally convinced that the Sox are going to make the playoffs and that it may be his and Robby's last good chance at a ring. Many in the clubhouse are concerned over Robby's attitude and 'chemistry' conflicts that he may bring, and upper management is concerned about his reputation and his public perception from the spitting incident and how it would further fuel the national 'black eye' we already have, however misplaced that black eye may be.

I am against acquiring Alomar, I am tired of former Indians who never won a Series coming here, and their attitudes, excluding Sandy. I believe Miles should come up and see how he'll do, and keep working with Harris. which is Manuel's and his coaches preference to succeed. Further, I don't think we need much help now at all, just some others to start 'stepping up', along with those who already have been. I sincerely believe that naming Valentin 'Captain' would unify and motivate the rest of the team just by it's own, and the talent would come through. I think this thing is so close to being successful, not much is needed, and too much will ruin it.

With a month before the trading deadline, I think Miles deserves at shot. If we lose the chance to get Alomar, so be it. Miles, which costs us nothing, is as good of a gamble as an aging Alomar, which could cost us a future ace.

I think this thing is so close to being successful, not much is needed, and too much will ruin it.

I've given this serious concideration too and if it was Robbie by himself I'd probably agree with you, but with Sandy here I think it's worth a shot.

Btw, let's not go over the top here. Last yr after the beating the scrubs here to go 40-42 we would go on to lose 4 out of 6 to Detroit and Cleveland before the break and 10 out 15 right after the break.

I sincerely believe that naming Valentin 'Captain' would unify and motivate the rest of the team just by it's own, and the talent would come through.

ncorgbl,

I'm interested in your comment about Valentin as El Capitan. Could you play out the whole scenario?

Guest Ncorgbl
ncorgbl,

I'm interested in your comment about Valentin as El Capitan. Could you play out the whole scenario?

I think naming Valentin captain would be a GREAT move. The dude is a "gamer".

I think it would be a great 'motivational' move by the team. Thomas and Maggs would have no problem at all with it, they lead by performing, and Konerko lost his say and candidacy for now. Jose' is the spark plug and has been since he came here, and he'd jump on anyone, including himself if need be. He'd be able to unite any factions in the clubhouse, and make things fun again. Hell, he might even get Colon to step up! All good, no bad, it's a no brainer.

ncorgbl,

I think it would be a great 'motivational' move by the team. Thomas and Maggs would have no problem at all with it, they lead by performing, and Konerko lost his say and candidacy for now. Jose' is the spark plug and has been since he came here, and he'd jump on anyone, including himself if need be. He'd be able to unite any factions in the clubhouse, and make things fun again. Hell, he might even get Colon to step up! All good, no bad, it's a no brainer.

I'm 100% with you on this one, Ncorgbl. I've always loved Jose's approach to the game, his spark, his fire, his will to do whatever it takes to win.

But is there some question as to who the leadership is in the clubhouse? Is this a point of contention or division? If not, then I see it doing little to nothing.

The way Valentin goes about playing his game, the way he does things... that would show some of these young guys an example of what it takes to win. I would say that this guy does things right, and we noticed it.

The way Valentin goes about playing his game, the way he does things... that would show some of these young guys an example of what it takes to win.  I would say that this guy does things right, and we noticed it.

And these guys can't see this now? I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it but is doing so on the same level as adding a HOF 2nd baseman? Isn't that a more tangible show of commitment to winning?

And these guys can't see this now? I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it but is doing so on the same level as adding a HOF 2nd baseman? Isn't that a more tangible show of commitment to winning?

But ... Is Robbie Alomar playing at a HOF caliber currently... or even lately? No he is not. We don't know which Robbie Alomar we will see if he comes to the Sox.

Guest Ncorgbl

I don't think Alomar is even close to being an HOF secondbaseman.

I'm certain they see it now, it would only enhance the good, and a Captain has privelages and duties, such as running the 'kangaroo court' and jumping in a guy's s*** for dogging it. .

ncorgbl,

I'm 100% with you on this one, Ncorgbl. I've always loved Jose's approach to the game, his spark, his fire, his will to do whatever it takes to win.

Sorry, Ncorgbl, but the idea of Valentin as "Captain" is not a good one. First off, the naming of a captain is window dressing and a title. If the guy isn't leading already, then naming him captain isn't going to make a difference. If he is, then naming him captain is just a title.

Guys earn the label captain by earning the other players respect. If he already has it, then nothing will change. An established professional player isn't going to listen to a guy any more just because he has the title. If he respects him, he will already listen to him. None of this talk would exist if the Yankees didn't name Derek Jeter their captain earlier this year. Again, that is nothing more than a title for a guy who already leads. It is akin to making a guy a Senior Vice President when he was just a lowly Vice President before, yet his job responsibilities don't change. Window dressing is not needed.

Secondly, even if you think naming a captain IS a good idea, why would you name a guy captain that is not likely to be here next year? Why would you name a guy captain for only 3 months? What message would it send to your team next year if you refuse to pay the "captain" his $5 million option or whatever his situation is? What message would it send if you name a guy captain then ask him to come back next year with a pay cut?

The idea is nice on the surface and has lots of warm and fuzzies attached to it, but there is no real merit for it. Nothing would truly be gained by it.

The best thing that can happen in the Sox clubhouse is that they keep winning. Winning takes care of most all the little problems and the guys that have earned others respect will lead appropriately, regardless of any fancy title.

ncorgbl,

Sorry, Ncorgbl, but the idea of Valentin as "Captain" is not a good one. First off, the naming of a captain is window dressing and a title. If the guy isn't leading already, then naming him captain isn't going to make a difference. If he is, then naming him captain is just a title.

Guys earn the label captain by earning the other players respect. If he already has it, then nothing will change. An established professional player isn't going to listen to a guy any more just because he has the title. If he respects him, he will already listen to him. None of this talk would exist if the Yankees didn't name Derek Jeter their captain earlier this year. Again, that is nothing more than a title for a guy who already leads. It is akin to making a guy a Senior Vice President when he was just a lowly Vice President before, yet his job responsibilities don't change. Window dressing is not needed.

Secondly, even if you think naming a captain IS a good idea, why would you name a guy captain that is not likely to be here next year? Why would you name a guy captain for only 3 months? What message would it send to your team next year if you refuse to pay the "captain" his $5 million option or whatever his situation is? What message would it send if you name a guy captain then ask him to come back next year with a pay cut?

The idea is nice on the surface and has lots of warm and fuzzies attached to it, but there is no real merit for it. Nothing would truly be gained by it.

The best thing that can happen in the Sox clubhouse is that they keep winning. Winning takes care of most all the little problems and the guys that have earned others respect will lead appropriately, regardless of any fancy title.

Exactly my sentiments Rex. And to do so in lieu of acquiring reenforcements for the 2nd worse O in the majors would most be viewed as being to cheap to care about winning.