Gavin Floyd?

BearSox

So, what should we make of Gavin Floyd? I am a fan of his, but in his two starts this season he has s*** his pants. If this was a rookie who has little to no ML experience, I wouldn't make to big of a deal of it already, but this guy has had plenty of chances. Should we perhaps move him to the pen? Maybe a move to pen will mean his velocity will go back up to the 94-96 range?

Thoughts?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Contreras is dealt I hope Floyd is giving the 5th starter's role for the rest of the season, completely uninterrupted. The Sox aren't going anywhere anyway. If he's terrible for the final 2 months of the season I'd probably be done with him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)
If Contreras is dealt I hope Floyd is giving the 5th starter's role for the rest of the season, completely uninterrupted. The Sox aren't going anywhere anyway. If he's terrible for the final 2 months of the season I'd probably be done with him.

yeah, I agree... but he has just looked so bad in his two starts.

When has Floyd ever been good in the majors?

Um, seriously... anyone? Stats or something? I've been wondering why we obtained him since the day we did. From what I've seen, he's shown very little, and he hasn't impressed me at all.

They hit rockets off him all night. The guy needs to grow a pair if you ask me. Having him as a fifth starter would probably lead to surgery for half the bullpen. He is no better than Felix Diaz, Arnie Munoz, the 5th starters of that ilk. On the bright side, he did pitch 1 inning tonight were he didn't allow a run.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)
When has Floyd ever been good in the majors?

Um, seriously... anyone? Stats or something? I've been wondering why we obtained him since the day we did. From what I've seen, he's shown very little, and he hasn't impressed me at all.

In his last 90 2/3 innings in the major leagues, he has allowed 24 homers and 92 runs. He blows. Keep him in Charlotte. He won't hurt the big league team, and he's made himself into quite the AAA pitcher.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 11:26 PM)
They hit rockets off him all night. The guy needs to grow a pair if you ask me. Having him as a fifth starter would probably lead to surgery for half the bullpen. He is no better than Felix Diaz, Arnie Munoz, the 5th starters of that ilk. On the bright side, he did pitch 1 inning tonight were he didn't allow a run.

What he needs is a curveball (he didn't have one tonight), and an extra 2 MPH on his 2-seamer, or a changeup that is actually significantly slower than his fastball and not telegraphed to the hitter by him slowing down his delivery. I guess what I'm saying is that there are plenty of reasons you can find for Floyd pitching like crap and none of them have anything to do with him being testicularly challenged. When players fail, it's usually because they lack talent.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 11:44 PM)
What he needs is a curveball (he didn't have one tonight), and an extra 2 MPH on his 2-seamer, or a changeup that is actually significantly slower than his fastball and not telegraphed to the hitter by him slowing down his delivery. I guess what I'm saying is that there are plenty of reasons you can find for Floyd pitching like crap and none of them have anything to do with him being testicularly challenged. When players fail, it's usually because they lack talent.

He has talent. The strikeouts will show you that. The thing is when something goes wrong he sighs, and gets the deer in the headlights look. You're right about his delivery. We were calling pitches based on it tonight.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 11:48 PM)
Send him down now and keep him down.

Yuck.

I am as pessimistic about Floyd as anyone, but they should have him pitch as much as they can stand...or at least put him in the bullpen and see what he does. The Sox don't need to win any more games this season, but they do need to know if Floyd should have a roster spot in 2008. And while I'm sure Cooper is over-rated, it wouldn't hurt to have him work with the big league pitching coach. Rich Hill got the snot beaten out of him repeatedly before turning out to be decent. Give Floyd his shot. The Sox gave innings to Sisco and are carrying Bukvish as a primary setup man. Giving innings to Floyd isn't anymore ridiculous than that.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 11:58 PM)
I am as pessimistic about Floyd as anyone, but they should have him pitch as much as they can stand...or at least put him in the bullpen and see what he does. The Sox don't need to win any more games this season, but they do need to know if Floyd should have a roster spot in 2008. And while I'm sure Cooper is over-rated, it wouldn't hurt to have him work with the big league pitching coach. Rich Hill got the snot beaten out of him repeatedly before turning out to be decent. Give Floyd his shot. The Sox gave innings to Sisco and are carrying Bukvish as a primary setup man. Giving innings to Floyd isn't anymore ridiculous than that.

Exactly. The season is over. The entire rest of the sesaon should be evaluation of the talent that we believe has a chance of being on the 08 roster. Floyd has no options after this year. find out, if either he can be fixed, used in the pen, or needs to be sent away. Dont base it on 2 starts. Give him a chance. Get Richar, Sweeney and whatever we get in trades.

Give Floyd his shot. The Sox gave innings to Sisco and are carrying Bukvish as a primary setup man. Giving innings to Floyd isn't anymore ridiculous than that.

I can't argue with that.

What you say is true.

I just don't know if I can stand him getting lit up, just as it is normally painful

to watch Buckwich pitch.

You have to let him start all August and September and see what you have, but I have little faith he'll be anything. He simply leaves way too many pitches up in the zone. Everybody keeps saying he has no balls and gives away what he's throwing, but what I've seen of him, both in the starts I've watched of him at Charlotte and now the 2 here, he leaves a ton of pitches up and gets killed as a result. At age 24, it's getting too late to get rid of that habit.

I completely agree with leaving him up and letting him take his knocks. The rest of the season should be training camp for the young guys in the bullpen and rotation to work through their problems and see if they can be "fixed". If not you have a much better idea what you have going into the offseason and aren't counting on someone who may not be able to perform or are not spending extra money to duplicate a player that you already have.

We will have to make come trades for this to happen, and the closer to the deadline we get, the less faith I have that KW will make any significant moves.

It is not fair to just give the guy two spot starts and then make a complete assessment.

Obviously he hasn't pitched nearly as good in the bigs compared to AAA. However, I would let him play out the season as the 5th starter and see how he does on a normal rotation without having to worry about being sent back down after every start. He didn't walk a batter and only allowed 1 HR last night compared to 4 BBs and 4 HRs in his first start, so there was an improvement. :ph34r:

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 08:51 AM)
He looks scared on the mound. he's so slow between pitches too.

I like how Danks goes out there firey and throws the ball and has a wierd gotee.

This I agree with. He does look scared and it gets even worse with runners on. I'm certainly not ready to give up on him though. So he doesn't have a strong mound presence at 24...big deal. Confidence gives you mound presence and with each big league out he acquires more confidence. He can be taught to not telegraph his pitches. He has the talent and being around the guys at this level can only help. We know what he can do at AAA, lets keep him up. Hopefully something is done with Count soon.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)

If anyone is dealt, I'm sure Floyd's the one that'll get the nod. I mean, he can't lose a job that's been giftwrapped for him twice, can he?