Gavin Floyd?

BearSox

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 02:59 PM)
You can say it to me first. Nice outing for Floyd. Hope he can finally find his groove. I want the Sox to win more than I want to be right.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
Classy of you to post this. Floyd showed a big glimpse of his talent this afternoon, let's hope he continues to progress as you stated.

Yes indeed. Not many people who would admit that.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:20 PM)
Pitched inside, used his change a bit more often and showed the poise to pitch over some bad calls/defense. I think all of those things show just how much more confident he was today. He needs to string several good starts together in a row now, but he was terrific today. Like I said in the game thread, hopefully this will be the confident boost needed to go along with the talent that he does have.

They also have him working much quicker, which really keeps the batters off balance. He had Maggs especially look as bad as anyone ever does.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
They also have him working much quicker, which really keeps the batters off balance. He had Maggs especially look as bad as anyone ever does.

I think that's another sign of improved confidence. But I definitely agree with you.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)

I doubt there's any team in the big leagues which uses "Work quickly on the mound" as a mantra as much as the Sox. And strangely...it keeps working.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)
I doubt there's any team in the big leagues which uses "Work quickly on the mound" as a mantra as much as the Sox. And strangely...it keeps working.

It really keeps the hitters guessing. I don't know what the difference in the extra couple of seconds is, but it works.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)

It works because it's smart baseball. The main benefit is that your fielders remain on their toes. Every guy will be a half step quicker with a quick pitcher on the mound than with a slow worker.

There is no 6-man rotation. Gavin Floyd has taken over for Contreras, and Jose is now in the bullpen.

no s***, but it was been brought up in discussions and even ozzie mentioned it, thus me asking the question if it helps for next year because of the lesser amount of innings. and yes the question was in a very sarcastic tone, no green needed. nice job today floyd.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 12:03 PM)
Coop changed his windup before this start, so he doesn't bring his hands behind his head anymore he just keeps them in front of his body the whole time. I assume this will now be a permanent change.

Well let's hope this change helped Gavin pitch like he did today, because for whatever the reason it certainly made a significant improvement to his performance.

The ball's in Gavin's court now. We've seen the potential he has from today's outing. That should be the standard for him from here on out. The good thing was, it came against a very good hitting team in Detroit, so it's not like he dominated the Giants or some sub-standard hitting team or anything.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
That should be the standard for him from here on out. The good thing was, it came against a very good hitting team in Detroit, so it's not like he dominated the Giants or some sub-standard hitting team or anything.

It was in one of the biggest parks in the league though. I believe they've brought the fences in a little bit, but it's still huge.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 12:13 AM)
It was in one of the biggest parks in the league though. I believe they've brought the fences in a little bit, but it's still huge.

Ya, that really didn't come into effect though. If anything it hurt him a bit cause he got blooped to death.

Asked if Floyd deserved a second consecutive start, Guillen seemed to almost downplay Floyd's performance against the Tigers on Sunday.

''One game don't mean anything,'' Guillen said. ''That's the first good game he's pitched any time I've seen him, to be honest with you. He will be out there because he threw the ball well. I think it's not fair for us or the team to see what we have for the future. It's just one outing or two outings. We're going to give him another shot to go out there. But remember, if this kid fails, I don't think we should take him out because he would just fail for one day. It's a tough situation to deal with, but I think we're going to deal with the best we have.''

Another option being weighed is skipping John Danks' next start, after the left-hander pitched on Tuesday. The rookie's innings are piling up this year, and it might be time for Guillen to give him a break.

''We're not going to kick Josie on the butt and say that's the way we're going to do it,'' Guillen said. ''I'm not the type of guy who deals with it that way. But I promised Josie he will be starting one of the games. And I'm a man, when he says something, I'm going to do it. With Jose out there, we're going to see how he's going to do it, but he has to do it.'

So much for Jose to the bullpen.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
So much for Jose to the bullpen.

Jose will be a starter on this team to start the season next year. Book that. We may as well let him try to work out his problems now if he can do so...just as long as we're also giving starts to Floyd.