Espn Radio reports Alomar is traded to Sox

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the trade is stupid.  Ring is much too good of a prospect for a guy who will be lucky to get 25 hits between now and 9-30-03.  Just what I was afraid of.  They out-negoiated KW.  First they ask for Cotts, knowing we won't give in, so they come down to Ring and KW jumps on it like a tall dog.  Because he is now united with his big brother.  Who cares?  Now we have Jiminez sitting on the bench b****ing.  Why didn't we trade him for Alomar.  That would make some sense.  I hope Ring has a big time career with the Mets.  Outsmarted by the Mets.  Unbelievable.

No mater what we were going to give up one of our good pitchers. So I don't know why you are complaining. Do you want to hang on to a guy who is in the minors and hasn't showed anything in the majors. Or do you want to get a Hall Famer at a postion of need. I say #2.

Plus be happy KW just traded away 2 minor league Relievers not even staters but relievers. And IMO Ring wasn't any better than Marte and he is already in the majors proving him self.

The Trib is reporting another player in the deal. Anyone ever heard of Salvo?

The White Sox have acquired second baseman Robby Alomar from the New York Mets for three minor league prospects.

Pitchers Royce Ring, the top Sox draft pick in 2002, and Edwin Almonte and infielder Andrew Salvo went to the Mets.

More details to come.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

No mater what we were going to give up one of our good pitchers.  So I don't know why you are complaining.  Do you want to hang on to a guy who is in the minors and hasn't showed anything in the majors.  Or do you want to get a Hall Famer at a postion of need.  I say #2.

Plus be happy KW just traded away 2 minor league Relievers not even staters but relievers.  And IMO Ring wasn't any better than Marte and he is already in the majors proving him self.

I think the masses would agree with you. The Mets are waving the white flag and we're buying not selling. That is a f***ing great feeling.

No mater what we were going to give up one of our good pitchers.  So I don't know why you are complaining.  Do you want to hang on to a guy who is in the minors and hasn't showed anything in the majors.  Or do you want to get a Hall Famer at a postion of need.  I say #2.

Plus be happy KW just traded away 2 minor league Relievers not even staters but relievers.  And IMO Ring wasn't any better than Marte and he is already in the majors proving him self.

And I'd like to add to that I think that Ginter and Wright could very well be better out of the pen than Ring.

The problem is, he's not playing like a Hall of Famer anymore. If we had Cal Ripken on our team now, would we claim to have a HOF at 3rd?

Still he improves our defense and leadoff postion. I think with his brother and out of the New York spotlight he will be a much better player.

Still he improves our defense and leadoff postion.  I think with his brother and out of the New York spotlight he will be a much better player.

He also began his decline the day he went to the Mets and the NL. I am willing to take a chance that this could be a rebirth for Alomar.

In any trade the team that got "the guy", in this case Alomar, gave up more than all the other teams that were interested. Did we give up 150% more? 100% more? 25% more? I'm betting our offer was just about the same but the Mets might have tried to:

accomodate a future HoF,

moved him from the NL,

dealt him to a contender.

I'm a little worried at how happy Met's fans are to see him go. He may have been the poster child for the team's lack of success.

alomar's defense is a plus right away, but only if he picks it up hitting-wise will this trade be worthwile.

Really good point. Even if he ONLY hits his current .266 he is a 10 point improvement on Jimenez and a 70 pt improvement on Harris. And that is before you factor in that his D blows away anyone we have. Plus he has been in the playoffs and pennant races how many time?

Look, I'm not buying into this trade yet. We have lost Ring and Valentine...two future stud closers not to mention Biddle. Are we really going to rely on Koch for the next 3-5 years?

They have Benetiz on the block also. Why couldn't we throw in another prospect for him?