Danny Richar

bigred3535

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 28, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
what did we trade for him?

the whole board is excited over a guy we got for crap... there has to be a reason arizona basically gave him away.

What in god's name are you talking about? The Diamondbacks already have Hudson and Collaspo at 2B. There was no for Richar. Second off, Aaron Cunningham is considered a good prospect by a lot of the experts, like Baseball America.

He's not going to be a superstar or anything but I think it's entirely reasonable that Richar can hit .270-.280 10 homers, 25 doubles and 20 SB for the next 5 years - which would put him in at least the top half of second baseman in the majors (or make him essentially an Iguchi Redux except much cheaper and much younger). To dismiss him as a waste of playing time without him ever having played a game in a Sox uniform is a little harsh. Also, the fact that the D'Backs gave him up doesn't signal much to me as he was blocked by Stephen Drew, Orlando Hudson and Alberto Callaspo. I definitely think from what I've heard and read taht he can be a contributor on the major league level. Like I said, not a star but a solid player. At any rate he's been mashing ever since he got to Charlotte so now's as good a time as ever to give him a good look.

And if he sucks at least we always have Cintron, Ozuna and Gonzalez as long term solutions.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Jul 28, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
I didn't love it myself though I'm relieved that we're not opening another huge hole with Tad's departure this way. I agree that the organization seems to criminally underrate Getz. I'm just waiting for Kenny to trade him to a smarter GM for a bag of balls.

Haven't we drafted Getz like three times?

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Jul 28, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)
He's not going to be a superstar or anything but I think it's entirely reasonable that Richar can hit .270-.280 10 homers, 25 doubles and 20 SB for the next 5 years - which would put him in at least the top half of second baseman in the majors (or make him essentially an Iguchi Redux except much cheaper and much younger). To dismiss him as a waste of playing time without him ever having played a game in a Sox uniform is a little harsh. Also, the fact that the D'Backs gave him up doesn't signal much to me as he was blocked by Stephen Drew, Orlando Hudson and Alberto Callaspo. I definitely think from what I've heard and read taht he can be a contributor on the major league level. Like I said, not a star but a solid player. At any rate he's been mashing ever since he got to Charlotte so now's as good a time as ever to give him a good look.

I'd like to add, it's also not out of the question that he could be better than that. He's hit 20 Hr's in the minors before, he's hit .300+ in the minors before, and he does have good speed. But again, he's still very raw all things considered, so it's going to take him some time to get down the knack of hitting the real big guys, and it's pretty darn hard to know what his actual ceiling is. But if nothing else, at least we have some decent talent plugged into that spot for very little money for the next few years.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Jul 28, 2007 -> 12:34 PM)
Even though I like Richar, I was not happy with this deal. I thought Cunningham could develop and was becomming a pretty nice prospect for the Sox. I also like Chris Getz and I don't see why Richar is so so much better than he is, although they are at different stages.

I felt like we really needed to find a SS, because we have jackcrap there...Lopez and Valido don't appear to be prospects anymore...one of the reasons I really liked talking to the Dodgers (about Hu).

Pedro Lopez? He's on the Reds now, right?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 28, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
That's not really saying much.

I know that, but it's nice to see some good young players filtering through. Fields has been good, Danks as well. I'm very excited about Richar, and we have guys like DLS and Gio back there waiting in the wings. I'm not saying we have an awesome system now, but it'd definitely improving.

I, for one, think Richar is going to be a very good player. He's been nothing short of great since joining the Sox. I'm glad to see he's getting a chance.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Jul 28, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)
I didn't love it myself though I'm relieved that we're not opening another huge hole with Tad's departure this way. I agree that the organization seems to criminally underrate Getz. I'm just waiting for Kenny to trade him to a smarter GM for a bag of balls.

Why do you say the Sox criminally underrate him? Since he's been drafted from Michigan, the Sox have been trying to fast track him but he was absolutely terrible last year -- his OPS was .647. He was doing fine this season, but he's also 24 years old and repeating AA -- he should be dominating the level if he has any hope of staying on the 'prospect' map.

If anything I think you're criminally overrating Getz. He has absolutely no power, so unless that changes, I can't see him becoming anything more than a utility player.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 28, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)
Why do you say the Sox criminally underrate him? Since he's been drafted from Michigan, the Sox have been trying to fast track him but he was absolutely terrible last year -- his OPS was .647. He was doing fine this season, but he's also 24 years old and repeating AA -- he should be dominating the level if he has any hope of staying on the 'prospect' map.

If anything I think you're criminally overrating Getz. He has absolutely no power, so unless that changes, I can't see him becoming anything more than a utility player.

He might not be better than a utility player but I don't get the impression that he's on our radar at all despite the fact that he's posting a .400+ OBP this season. The lack of power is obviously a concern but he's a second basemen so I don't see it as a reason to write him off. Pods has no power and we've played him in a corner outfield slot for three seasons.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 28, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
Haven't we drafted Getz like three times?

Obviously I don't have contacts with the front office. Maybe we're plenty high on Getz and I don't realize it but what I normally use to gauge how much the team likes a prospect is how much press the player gets in the local papers and whether Kenny has any quote about the prospect. I haven't seen much of either.

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Jul 28, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)

And if he sucks at least we always have Cintron, Ozuna and Gonzalez as long term solutions.

So in the big picture we will have a guy putting up numbers as good, or better than Tada, for about 1/15 of the price in 2008-2010.