Big 10 (11) maybe 12?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/foot...n.ap/index.html

would be interesting. No names of schools, I'm sure they would make a run at Notre Dame again, but with their NBC contract, I doubt that is realstic... any speculation?

I'll throw Louisville and Miam Ohio out there as just off-the-wall total guesses

Notre Dame would have done it by now IMO. They make the most sense of course, but that NBC deal is too appealing, plus their hoops team is always on ESPN due to their constant televising of Big East games so that seems unlikely. Louisville to me is the best and most realistic option. Either way, the Big 11 HAS to get a 12th team so they can go to the 2 division format and have a football conference title game. Those things just make too much darn money to not have one, and the 11 team system is pretty lame, as the league champion often depends on who you avoid on the schedule.

Now, this has no bearing at all, and it's just what I would like to see. No way it would ever happen.

Missouri to the Big 10. Arkansas to the Big 12. FSU to the SEC.

FSU in the SEC West with Bama, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss and Miss State would be awesome. Oh well, a guy could dream.

Anyways, realistically I think about Pitt joining he Big 10 for the market, but who knows.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
Now, this has no bearing at all, and it's just what I would like to see. No way it would ever happen.

Missouri to the Big 10. Arkansas to the Big 12. FSU to the SEC.

FSU in the SEC West with Bama, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss and Miss State would be awesome. Oh well, a guy could dream.

Anyways, realistically I think about Pitt joining he Big 10 for the market, but who knows.

No way Pitt leaves the Big East and it's Backyard Brawl.

Louisville would be great for both BB and FB. But I'll throw this out there, even though academically and FB wise, it might not be best, but what about Memphis?

Looking at the Division I-A map, it looks like Mizzou or Louisville are the best bets, but do you think they make the grade...literally and figuratively???

Division I-A map (I luuuuv Wikipedia)

Edited by CanOfCorn

No way is the Big 10 taking in any University that is not in the top 100 schools:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/...9.national.html

This list actually has Louisville on it (Us News doesnt even list them), every Big 10 university is in the top 100, Louisville is 200.

As a Big 10 grad, I would be sickened if we took in anything but top 100.

Notre Dame is the only one that really makes sense, and both sides have bristled at that. The Big Ten was kinda pissed the last time ND turned them down (back when they added Penn State I think), and ND obviously wants to keep their TV deal and their scheduling freedom. Plus they're already in the Big East for every other sport, if anything I'd think the BCS would eventually try to force them into that conference to give it a bit more legitimacy down the road (yeah, I know they win bowl games, but they also get the dud matchups). The same goes for Louisville, I'm not sure how interested they'd be in switching allegiances AGAIN.

My feeling is if ND wants to come to the Big 10, then that would be fine. Other than that most teams just really dont make sense for the Big 10, except for upper echelon teams in other conferences.

I expect that almost every college in the region would want to be in the Big 10, but I dont understand why the Big 10 would be in any rush to just add another school.

Unless its the perfect fit, Id rather just stay with 11.

Its a hard decision because most of the schools who would fit best with the Big 10 in terms of academics and sports are the staple of their conference. So if the Big 10 could raid a top program that would be great, otherwise would a team like Missouri do anything? That just seems like a lower tier Big 10 sports team and academic program. Atleast Northwestern is a legitimate top university.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 01:43 PM)
I expect that almost every college in the region would want to be in the Big 10, but I dont understand why the Big 10 would be in any rush to just add another school.

Money grab? Larger territory for their new television network?

With that being said, I completely agree with you in the fact that they probably won't add anyone. Why sacrifice academic prestige just to get a conference championship game for football?

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 12:01 PM)
No way is the Big 10 taking in any University that is not in the top 100 schools:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/...9.national.html

This list actually has Louisville on it (Us News doesnt even list them), every Big 10 university is in the top 100, Louisville is 200.

As a Big 10 grad, I would be sickened if we took in anything but top 100.

that list is horrid....penn state the #3 university ??????

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
that list is horrid....penn state the #3 university ??????

The Washington Monthly does their rankings strictly in terms of the activism on the campus, through things like political involvement, recycling, support for charitable causes, etc.

There are five schools that make sense (in no apparent order): Pitt, Syracuse, Mizzou, Iowa State, Notre Dame.

Pitt - Penn State was a much bigger game than the Backyard Brawl until PSU joined the Big Ten.

I doubt Syracuse ever leaves the Big East, but they'd fit pretty well.

Mizzou and ISU probably wouldn't leave the Big XII, but they're both strong candidates.

Notre Dame was almost a member of the Big Ten in the 20's, but was rebuffed by the conference. Not much chance they'd join now, even though it makes the most sense in the long run. Way too much cash for their own TV contract and when they make a BCS bowl.

Louisville? I find it difficult to believe that the Big Ten would extend an invitation to an institution so academically inferior.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 10:08 AM)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/foot...n.ap/index.html

would be interesting. No names of schools, I'm sure they would make a run at Notre Dame again, but with their NBC contract, I doubt that is realstic... any speculation?

I'll throw Louisville and Miam Ohio out there as just off-the-wall total guesses

We (Miami) can barely survive the MAC

Iowa State would be a lot more willing to leave the Big 12 because they know they'd get quite a bit more money their way.

Keep in mind that ISU's AD is a Wisconsin guy who was Barry Alvarez's assistant AD.

That being said, I really don't think Iowa State provides anything to the Big 10.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 04:57 PM)
Iowa State would be a lot more willing to leave the Big 12 because they know they'd get quite a bit more money their way.

Keep in mind that ISU's AD is a Wisconsin guy who was Barry Alvarez's assistant AD.

That being said, I really don't think Iowa State provides anything to the Big 10.

Iowa State provides nothing to not only the Big 10, but anyone..

I could definitely see Mizzou wanting out of the Big 12, but athletically there is no reason they would be wanted by the Big 10. Academically I would like to think Mizzou is close enough to the rest of the Big 10 that they wouldn't stick out. Mizzou athletics mostly suck. Football might have a shot at winning one of the divisions every once in a blue moon if they avoid Ohio State and Michigan, though I don't know why I'm saying that because they can't even win the Big 12 North. Mizzou basketball is average, maybe they can get back to being a tournament team, but they aren't a draw. The only programs worth a damn, and that have the accomplishments to prove it, at Mizzou are wrestling (3rd in the country last year and looks to maintain that) and baseball. Wrestling would be fighting with Iowa, etc. in the conference, but would just be one of a few solid programs in the conference. Mizzou baseball would probably wipe out Big 10 baseball before losing out on recruits because the Big 10 is only mediocre at baseball.

I guess it says more that I used wrestling and baseball in my argument to sell Mizzou to the Big 10. I'm not sure if I would want Mizzou to move to the Big 10. It would be cool because I'm still a Northwestern fan and care more about the Big 10 in general than the Big 12. The Big 12 isn't really a conference, it's 'let's see the Texas schools and Oklahoma fight it out with Nebraska for everything' (oh and Kansas basketball I guess). With that said, I think Mizzou would be beat around in the Big 10 a little more than the Big 12.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 04:50 PM)
Yeah I was just showing that list because Louisville is unranked by US News.

US news is the list in parenthesis.

i gotcha....i was wondering about that lol

Well, since I have nothing else better to do (sans WS/Blue Jay game right now):

IF MIZZOU OR ISU COMES INTO THE BIG 10(11)

Then the Big 12 Conference could ask colleges such as TCU, UTEP or Houston for admission. UGH.

Or for fun, maybe New Mexico from the MWC, whose football team is ....... but their basketball team can surprise, plus The Pit is always a fun place to play.

It's possible. Or the Big 12 could pull a coup and get a Colorado State. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....

IF LOUISVILLE GETS TO THE BIG 10(11)

The Big East basketball conference will be hurt because of the rivalries that Louisville have. This will be difficult.

Not so much in football jargon though.

QUOTE(OilCan @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
IF MIZZOU OR ISU COMES INTO THE BIG 10(11)

Then the Big 12 Conference could ask colleges such as TCU, UTEP or Houston for admission. UGH.

Or for fun, maybe New Mexico from the MWC, whose football team is ....... but their basketball team can surprise, plus The Pit is always a fun place to play.

It's possible. Or the Big 12 could pull a coup and get a Colorado State. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....

Arkansas is a great choice. They could go back to their roots when the played in the Southwest Conference. I read Texas/Arkansas was a great rivalry back in the day.

I just can't come up with a logical reason why they would want to leave the SEC. Haha

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 11:35 AM)
Notre Dame would have done it by now IMO. They make the most sense of course, but that NBC deal is too appealing, plus their hoops team is always on ESPN due to their constant televising of Big East games so that seems unlikely. Louisville to me is the best and most realistic option. Either way, the Big 11 HAS to get a 12th team so they can go to the 2 division format and have a football conference title game. Those things just make too much darn money to not have one, and the 11 team system is pretty lame, as the league champion often depends on who you avoid on the schedule.

And how would that be different with 12th team? Conferences with 12 teams do not play all other league teams, so division winners are heavily affected by the rotating schedule.

Wow, deja vu. This comes up every year it seems with the same list of teams mentioned. Guess what, it's not happening. I think that this is a story that they throw out there once a year and wonder if it will stick this year or not.

Edited by vandy125

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jul 28, 2007 -> 10:42 AM)
Wow, deja vu. This comes up every year it seems with the same list of teams mentioned. Guess what, it's not happening. I think that this is a story that they throw out there once a year and wonder if it will stick this year or not.

The issue came up again because of the Big Ten Network. If they can get a top TV market, then the cable companies might give in to the BTN and put them on expanded cable, and not a sports package you'd have to pay extra for.

Also, on Mike and Mike this morning (sans Mike and Mike since they were recovering from the hangover of ArenaBowl XXI), I caught the end of this convo and they had mentioned Rutgers as that team. I'm not sure how good of a school that would be, but with the football team on the rise and a natural rivalry with Penn State, not to mention getting them into the NYC/Phila markets, it might not be a bad move.

Cons: Basketball...not so good. Not sure about other sports. Also, might suffer from BC-itis...meaning too far from the hub of Big Ten athletics.