Construction started on the Chicago Spire

Steff

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
Ugly.

I'd rather let other cities build all the spacey looking stuff and just have my classic Chicago skyline.

A lot of the buildings in (on?) the skyline were considered hideous when they were initially built. There's the apocryphal tale of the society matron who hated the look of the John Hancock Tower so much that she bought a condo in the building. Why? So she wouldn't have to see it whenever she looked out her windows.

I like the Spire, but I am enamored with Calatrava's designs in general.

Edited by Mplssoxfan

If it were buried in the Loop or West Loop, I think I wouldn't like it as much, but considering where it is, right at the River/Lake convergence, I think it's going to look great there. It's tall, but it's not wide. So, it won't block that much. I'm looking forward to it.

I like it...Burj Dubai...not so much.

Personally, I love it. They should be able to do some really neat things with lights of different colors shining on it at night and I think it's going to be breathtaking. I've been very intrigued by it since it was first talked about several years ago and I've followed it closely since. I didn't think it would actually get built though. The city's architecture built its reputation on being ahead of the curve and I think this continues in that tradition.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
A lot of the buildings in (on?) the skyline were considered hideous when they were initially built. There's the apocryphal tale of the society matron who hated the look of the John Hancock Tower so much that she bought a condo in the building. Why? So she wouldn't have to see it whenever she looked out her windows.

I like the Spier, but I am enamored with Calatrava's designs in general.

I don't mind the thing on its own but it does not seem evocative of any of Chicago's architectural heritage.

As for Calatrava - I like a little of his sculpture that I've seen, and I like the Milwaukee Art Museum, but I would not like the Milwaukee Art Museum on Chicago's lakefront. Then again, I will always really dislike the Soldier Field renovation as well. I just don't like people focking with my Chicago skyline and lakefront too much.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 02:33 PM)
I don't mind the thing on its own but it does not seem evocative of any of Chicago's architectural heritage.

As for Calatrava - I like a little of his sculpture that I've seen, and I like the Milwaukee Art Museum, but I would not like the Milwaukee Art Museum on Chicago's lakefront. Then again, I will always really dislike the Soldier Field renovation as well. I just don't like people focking with my Chicago skyline and lakefront too much.

You lost all b****ing rights when you moved away. :P