Iguchi Traded to Phillies for RP/SP Michael Dubee

IlliniKrush

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 05:07 PM)
Or not, as Meaux was at least in AA with better numbers, and Iguchi had better numbers and is expected to fill a starting role, at least til Utley gets back.

Dubee isn't even in Advanced A yet.

meaux was 26 when he was traded though, blums stats and iguchis stats werent that dissimilar when we got him

blum .241 .321 .375 5 HR 3 SBs

iguchi .251 .340 .380 6 HR 8 SBS

Edited by daa84

Why is everyone so upset with this deal? Iguchi was nothing special. He was serviceable as a 2nd baseman. No flash or star power. I think KW got what he could for the guy. Unless people have seen this guy pitch in the minors, how can you say that we got screwed in this deal? Iguchi wasn't anything special by no means.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 10:19 PM)
Could be very, very far from the truth, but kinda interesting.

I just think the market isn't very good for second basemen. Look at Ronnie Belliard -- he had a pretty similar season to Iguchi's 2007 campaign (89 OPS+ vs 88 OPS+). Belliard also had the tag of 'World Series champion' after "helping" St Louis win their ring. Still, Belliard couldn't even get a guaranteed contract on the open market this winter. Unfortunately for us, average(ish) second basemen just aren't that big of a commodity.

I couldn't believe when I got home turned on the T.V. and Gooch was gone. Hopefully this Dupree kid has some potential. I see he is a RP. Hopefully a studly one in the future or if the sox feel he can be a starter for us.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
Why is everyone so upset with this deal? Iguchi was nothing special. He was serviceable as a 2nd baseman. No flash or star power. I think KW got what he could for the guy. Unless people have seen this guy pitch in the minors, how can you say that we got screwed in this deal? Iguchi wasn't anything special by no means.

Apparently we haven't been watching the same 2Bman. Iguchi was a good player and helped the Sox. We get a Class A prospect in return. Hum!

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
Apparently we haven't been watching the same 2Bman. Iguchi was a good player and helped the Sox. We get a Class A prospect in return. Hum!

He's been mediocre while playing the least important position on the field.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 05:19 PM)
Just got a call from my old man, and he brought up an interesting point.

He said when he heard what we got back, that in the back of his mind, maybe this was sort of a "make-up" deal by Williams? I think now it sort of looks like the Sox might have passed off damaged goods with Philly in the Garcia deal, and even if Kenny isn't responsible for that, maybe a deal like this, helping a team out in need, for maybe not the most value that he could have got for Gooch, but clearing things up with Philly, to open up things down the road.

Like returning Bonilla to the Pirates?

Iguchi was good for us in 05 but he has regressed a lot after that. I wish and I know we probably could have gotten something better other than an A ball relief pitcher.

This kind of deal should have been for cintron, mack instead of Gooch who is a starting 2nd baseman.

I am excited on the other hand to see how Richar will do in the bigs.

Iguchi is a mjaor league player. I think I speak for the negativity when I say the player that was given to the Sox should have major league potential. It appears that KW seems to think building a AA team is what is required when trading at the deadline. There is no purpose to this deal. Unless you get a win outcome in the trade hold on to him. What is the purpose in moving him if there is no chance of improving your ballclub by doing so. This guy is not a prospect and there is no upside. Iguchi should have garned something there has a shot at doing something.

I really hope Kenny doesn't have a hard on for trading with Philly and the Diamondbacks because none of those trades have panned out for us...yet.

I'm sure KW couldn't have gotten anything better in return and I just want to see what this "stud" Richar has to offer us. I'm actually fine with this trade. I hope that more people are next to go, I just didn't expect Gooch to be the first guy to go. Maybe we owed them for the 'damaged goods' that we sent with Freddy this year.

Is Richar expected in the lineup tonight?

I'm also thinking Rowand is likely to stay in Philly and that he will not return to the White Sox this off-season.

Edited by Beastly

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 05:19 PM)
Just got a call from my old man, and he brought up an interesting point.

He said when he heard what we got back, that in the back of his mind, maybe this was sort of a "make-up" deal by Williams? I think now it sort of looks like the Sox might have passed off damaged goods with Philly in the Garcia deal, and even if Kenny isn't responsible for that, maybe a deal like this, helping a team out in need, for maybe not the most value that he could have got for Gooch, but clearing things up with Philly, to open up things down the road.

That's was I was kind of thinking too. It had nothing to do with "who" the Sox would get.....

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)

He was good, but he wasn't anything special. Defensively, he was slow, and didn't get rid of the ball quick enough when turning the double play. We wouldn't have been to offer him arbitration so we wouldn't have gotten any comp. picks for him, so at least we got something. Now we can see if Richar can play 2nd for the next 2 months. To me it was a good move. Who's to say anyone else was even interested in the guy? Obviously this was the best deal in KWs eyes.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
Iguchi is a mjaor league player. I think I speak for the negativity when I say the player that was given to the Sox should have major league potential. It appears that KW seems to think building a AA team is what is required when trading at the deadline. There is no purpose to this deal. Unless you get a win outcome in the trade hold on to him. What is the purpose in moving him if there is no chance of improving your ballclub by doing so. This guy is not a prospect and there is no upside. Iguchi should have garned something there has a shot at doing something.

Because now you can start your 24 year old 2B prospect for the next 2 months and find out if he's ready to hit major league pitching, if he plays well for the rest of the year it leaves you with one less whole to fill next season. Keeping Iguchi around for the final 2 months would do nothing for you at least with him off the roster you can start thinking about the future of the position a bit.

Believe it or not there's not much of a market for 32 year old .720 OPS, mediocre defensive secondbasemen who are in their walk year. Out of the 6 tools (contact, power, plate discipline, speed, defense, arm) he has really only displayed 1 of them this season, plate discipline. While being beyond mediocre in 4 of the other 5 (speed being the exception, he's been decent in that aspect of the game.)

It's a good trade in my book since we get to see Richar start in the big leagues for the next 2 months and we get something (no matter how minimal) for a guy who we would have gotten nothing for had we held onto him.

Reifert:

Comments on the Iguchi Trade

Friday, July 27, 2007

Comments, Quotes and Points Made This Afternoon Following the Trade of Tadahito Iguchi to the Phillies

Today's trade accomplishes three things for the White Sox: it opens a spot for Danny Richar to come up and play right away so that he can be evaluated at the major-league level against August competition; it clears close to $1 million dollars of payroll (which is what Tadahito is owed over the final two months of the season) ... this savings can now be reallocated; and it gives us another minor-league pitcher. From Tad's standpoint, it gives him a chance to go to Philadelphia, try to win another ring, and then decide what his future holds after the season.

A couple of facts to keep in mind ... we would not have received compensation draft picks for Tadahito had he played out the season with us, and this deal was not in the works until today when Ken Williams picked up the phone after Chase Utley was hurt last night.

Comments from those involved ...

From Tadahito:

"I didn't know Chase Utley had been hurt. I actually wondered why they (the Phillies) had made the trade since they already had a third baseman.

When asked his fondest memory with the White Sox, he obviously talked about winning the World Series.

"And my chance to share 2 1/2 years with such great teammates."

Iguchi will return to Chicago with his new team on Monday, a fact that drew a chuckle.

"Chicago is the only American city where I have lived. I like this city. I'll miss this city and the crowd cheering me with the 'Gooch' sound."

From Ozzie Guillen:

"Tadahito has been great for us from Day 1 to yesterday. He's been consistent and committed to our team. He came here and we asked him to be a different ballplayer than he was in Japan.

"I appreciate the way he performed for us. He was a class act on and off the field. He gave us a lot of happiness. One of the worst things about baseball are times like these when you have to trade your friends and people who mean a lot to you.

"Iguchi had a lot to do with the rings we are wearing.

"This is good for him. He may have a better chance to be in the playoffs and maybe get another ring."

And on the arrival of Danny Richar tomorrow to play second base every day ...

"He will play everyday if he's ready. The opportunity for him is there."

From KW:

"This is an opportunity to see Danny Richar play, to see him out there and evaluate him against major league teams that are competing for a playoff spot. We need to have a good read on what we have in Danny Richar."

When asked to describe Richar's game, KW replied:

"Just watch him play tomorrow. If he answers the question, it'll be one less thing for me to worry about."

On Tadahito:

"He was saddened he would be leaving Chicago, leaving this ballclub.

"We can't say enough about what he meant to us, hitting in the second and playing defense everyday. He's been an outstanding player for the White Sox."

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 05:46 PM)
I really hope Kenny doesn't have a hard on for trading with Philly and the Diamondbacks because none of those trades have panned out for us...yet.

I'm sure KW couldn't have gotten anything better in return and I just want to see what this "stud" Richar has to offer us. I hope that more people are next to go, I just didn't expect Gooch to be the first guy to go. Maybe we owed them for the 'damaged goods' that we sent with Freddy this year.

Is Richar expected in the lineup tonight?

I'm also thinking Rowand is likely to stay in Philly and that he will not return to the White Sox this off-season.

I'd say Vazquez has panned out pretty well. Giving the Sox a 3.76 ERA over his last 32 starts.

And Richar will not be on hand tonight, the Sox will play 1 short. He should be starting tomorrow though.

***On a side note, I am watching CTL, and Gail Fisher propsed a trade between the cubs and sox. The cubs would get Dye and the sox would get Marmol. Mark Gonzalez said the cubs would have to give us more?? What's he smoking. I would trade Dye for Marmol in a second. The guy is gonna be special!!

Gooch will be missed. His daughter goes to the school I work for and he has been nothing but generous to us. He gave us autographed baseballs for an auction we had. He even ofered to take the ENTIRE SCHOOL to a White Sox game in September! I wonder if that is up in the air now. When asked if there was anything else he could do, the principal joked "well, we could use a new gym". They all laughed and Gooch said with a smirk on his face "we'll see what the next contract brings". He was a good guy, I hate to see him go. Too sad. :(

Edited by Athomeboy_2000