Iguchi Traded to Phillies for RP/SP Michael Dubee

IlliniKrush

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha Rowand n Gooch hitting bombs . Can't wait till we get them back . Yea right . Just turned it on like 10 minutes ago . Glad I got to see the Gooch homer.

I wouldn't put it past the sox to sign up to three current Phillies free agents to be this upcoming offseason.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 28, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
You cannot ignore the turn the market has taken. You cannot judge Kenny's trades at this moment on what he or other GM's could have gotten in past years. That's comparing apples to oranges.

Unfortunately for us, we chose a really poor time to be a seller at the deadline.

It's a strange coincidence that when we might have been buyers in the free agent market the salaries go out of sight and when its time to rid ourselves of players the market is poor. Broken promises broken dreams. Wait til next decade.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

One thing I was thinking about and wanted to throw out there, when talking about a players "worth" you have to gauge their demand. I counted 3 teams who have starting second basemen with worse numbers than Tada, and four if you include the Mets. One of them is Cleveland, so I doubt you can include them as a possibility. That only leaves Seattle, Philly, and the Mets. You also have to throw in the fact that the team who owns Tada at the end of the year only has an exclusive 15 day negotiating window with that player, and cannot offer him arbitration at the end of the season. So they will get nothing for a guy that will probably spend 60ish games in their uniform. You can knock out Seattle as wanting to pay a lot, because Tada is only a minimal upgrade over Jose Lopez. Really that leaves the Mets and Phillies as possible destinations, who might he willing to pay something for Iguchi. The Mets seem to be looking at pitching and outfield help, despite the Valentin injury. Philly seems to only need Tada for a month, as they expect Utley back in a month. Now realistically, what marketplace for Iguchi was out there, and who exactly was going to give up something good for him, because I don't see it.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)
Mets just acquired Castillo for 2 minor leaguers (one being a AA Catcher). So Iguchi was still only worth a Single A Pitcher? I also thought there was no market for 2B.

Castillo had more value because of the draft picks after the season (assuming he qualifies for them, which I think he does but don't know for certain)

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 07:53 PM)
Castillo had more value because of the draft picks after the season (assuming he qualifies for them, which I think he does but don't know for certain)
Yeah, you are correct. I forgot about that. Hopefully he is available in the offseason.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 09:57 PM)
Yeah, you are correct. I forgot about that. Hopefully he is available in the offseason.

Why? He's an overrated player whose speed is dropping each year and has never had a SLG above .400. Considering that, and the current market trends, he's not going to be worth the contract that he gets, even if he does put up a acceptable (its not nearly as good as it was when he was down in Florida) OBP atop the lineup.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
Iguchi had a solid June and has had a great OBP since the All-Star Break. No surprise to see him doing well with the Phills.

And to go along with that .381 OBP since the break he put up a mediocre .380 SLG.

I don't see anything wrong with Castillo, but he won't be on the Sox next year. Castillo is a solid player though, a fantastic defensive 2nd baseman (albeit he's aided by the turf). Nowhere near as good as he once was but again, I could give a s*** about his OPS when he's at the top of a teams order.

Give me extra speed and good baserunning instincts over a ton of extra base hits and a lack of speed (not saying I wouldn't take those extra base hits, but I want a leadoff hitter with some wheels but he also has to have some other skills).

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 02:53 AM)

Tad Iguchi was still worth more than a class A pitcher. The Phillies got a real good 2Bman with some power and ability to drive in some clutch runs. I am not impressed with whatever decision went into this move. There isn't much in the last year that has panned out for the Sox as far as trades and other signings are concerned and I think the Iguchi trade is just another example of real questionable player decisions.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
I don't see anything wrong with Castillo, but he won't be on the Sox next year. Castillo is a solid player though, a fantastic defensive 2nd baseman (albeit he's aided by the turf). Nowhere near as good as he once was but again, I could give a s*** about his OPS when he's at the top of a teams order.

Give me extra speed and good baserunning instincts over a ton of extra base hits and a lack of speed (not saying I wouldn't take those extra base hits, but I want a leadoff hitter with some wheels but he also has to have some other skills).

So what happened to his speed then? 9 SB and 4 CS? He's going to have to start hitting some doubles if he's not going to steal any bases.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
Tad Iguchi was still worth more than a class A pitcher. The Phillies got a real good 2Bman with some power and ability to drive in some clutch runs. I am not impressed with whatever decision went into this move. There isn't much in the last year that has panned out for the Sox as far as trades and other signings are concerned and I think the Iguchi trade is just another example of real questionable player decisions.

You're delusional. If the Castillo trade hasn't sufficiently convinced you that Iguchi had little to no trade value then I don't know what will.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 08:08 PM)
One thing I was thinking about and wanted to throw out there, when talking about a players "worth" you have to gauge their demand. I counted 3 teams who have starting second basemen with worse numbers than Tada, and four if you include the Mets. One of them is Cleveland, so I doubt you can include them as a possibility. That only leaves Seattle, Philly, and the Mets. You also have to throw in the fact that the team who owns Tada at the end of the year only has an exclusive 15 day negotiating window with that player, and cannot offer him arbitration at the end of the season. So they will get nothing for a guy that will probably spend 60ish games in their uniform. You can knock out Seattle as wanting to pay a lot, because Tada is only a minimal upgrade over Jose Lopez. Really that leaves the Mets and Phillies as possible destinations, who might he willing to pay something for Iguchi. The Mets seem to be looking at pitching and outfield help, despite the Valentin injury. Philly seems to only need Tada for a month, as they expect Utley back in a month. Now realistically, what marketplace for Iguchi was out there, and who exactly was going to give up something good for him, because I don't see it.

I doubt we would've gotten much of anything from Cleveland for Iguchi, but I don't understand what the harm would be in dealing Tadahito to Cleveland. I know a certain GM who traded a pitcher coming off a great year to the Phillies despite the fact that they're in the same division because they were the only ones who would, and could, take Kevin Millwood and they needed to unload him (or, more specifically, his salary). It's not like you'd be trading Alex Rodriguez within the division.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 08:00 PM)
Why? He's an overrated player whose speed is dropping each year and has never had a SLG above .400. Considering that, and the current market trends, he's not going to be worth the contract that he gets, even if he does put up a acceptable (its not nearly as good as it was when he was down in Florida) OBP atop the lineup.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
.356 OBP, 14 XBH (11 2B, 3 3B), 9 SB and 4 CS. Ick.

We need to sign him and Erstad to have the All-2000 team.

I don't know why people b**** about the return for Iguchi. When the Sox traded Ray Durham, at the time having a pretty good season, they picked up all but the minimum pro-rated on his contract and got back Jon Adkins. Getting someone to eat the contract may give the Sox a better player next year, and you get to see if Richar can play. If he can't, there's always the possibility of Iguchi coming back.