Gwynn, Ripken are HOF Class of 2007

sox4lifeinPA

gwynn_ripken_careers.jpg

Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn will be inducted into the Hall of Fame on July 29th in Cooperstown

Tony Gwynn, who won eight batting titles, and Cal Ripken Jr., who played in a record 2,632 consecutive games, were elected to the Hall of Fame in January by the baseball writers. Ripken received 98.5% of the vote, Gwynn 97.6%. The pair will be inducted during Hall of Fame Weekend, July 27-30.

How do 1.5% and 2.4% of the ballots not include these guys? They're epitome of 80s & 90s baseball?

as Colin Cowherd says, "you can't tell the story of..." baseball without Cal Ripken, Jr or Tony Gwynn.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 29, 2007 -> 08:32 AM)
agree

me too...while ripken certainly deserves to be in the HOF, i always thought he was a bit overrated as a player....i dont see how he deserves to have the highest vote % of all time for the hall, but nontheless i do think the voters were right to vote him in

It's called being an accumulator, much like Raffy Palmeiro. He put up an incredibly unimpressive line for his career; .276/.340/.447/.787 but the guy had 11,551 ABs in 3,001 games. If you put up a high .700/low .800 OPS over that many games you're going to accumulate some rather impressive numbers but he never really dominated the league.

You take a look at someone like Chipper Jones who's going to put up very similar HR, 2B and RBI numbers along with WAY more stolen bases but a whole lot less hits since Chipper has already drawn as many walks in his career as Ripken did except in half the games. Chipper's career line also shows just how dominant he was unlike Ripken .306/.403/.544/.947.

So in the end Chipper will probably have better career numbers than Cal in about 2/3 of the ABs but will never receive anywhere near the same accolades as Ripken, which is really a shame.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)
It's called being an accumulator, much like Raffy Palmeiro. He put up an incredibly unimpressive line for his career; .276/.340/.447/.787 but the guy had 11,551 ABs in 3,001 games. If you put up a high .700/low .800 OPS over that many games you're going to accumulate some rather impressive numbers but he never really dominated the league.

You take a look at someone like Chipper Jones who's going to put up very similar HR, 2B and RBI numbers along with WAY more stolen bases but a whole lot less hits since Chipper has already drawn as many walks in his career as Ripken did except in half the games. Chipper's career line also shows just how dominant he was unlike Ripken .306/.403/.544/.947.

So in the end Chipper will probably have better career numbers than Cal in about 2/3 of the ABs but will never receive anywhere near the same accolades as Ripken, which is really a shame.

Nicely put. I always have trouble articulating why I was unimpressed with Ripken. I have been beaten up in the past for saying that without the streak, Ripken is not a HOF player. That might be a bit of a stretch since he also was a very good SS, but I grew very tired of the Ripken worship over the years. In the days of the balanced schedule, plenty of Sox fans got to watch Cal's career. He was never a player who struck fear in me with the game on the line. With that said, he is a gentleman and played the game the right way for a long time. I will not protest his induction. I am sure he is relieved. ;-)

One must also consider other SS. Ripken wasn't like Ozzie Smith who would dazzle you with defensive range but, Ripken was a vacuum when it came within his range. Plus, he changed the position from light hitting defensive guys to bigger, more powerful players. He paved the way for the Tejada's, Renteria's and Jeter's of present day baseball.

He's got to be pretty damn high on the list of HR's and hits for SS, as well. Accumulation stats are just as impressive. Shoot, players sneeze and are out for 15 days. Ripken played in 16+ seasons STRAIGHT!!! That's frickin' impressive.

Finally, Ripken did more for the game of baseball than his stats would ever show. Both he AND Gwynn are ambassadors of the game, playing it the right way (except for Gwynn's weight...;)). Ripken was one of the top 5 recognizable players for a time. Gwynn is probably top 5-10 best pure hitters ever to play. They both deserve it.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
One must also consider other SS. Ripken wasn't like Ozzie Smith who would dazzle you with defensive range but, Ripken was a vacuum when it came within his range. Plus, he changed the position from light hitting defensive guys to bigger, more powerful players. He paved the way for the Tejada's, Renteria's and Jeter's of present day baseball.

He's got to be pretty damn high on the list of HR's and hits for SS, as well. Accumulation stats are just as impressive. Shoot, players sneeze and are out for 15 days. Ripken played in 16+ seasons STRAIGHT!!! That's frickin' impressive.

Finally, Ripken did more for the game of baseball than his stats would ever show. Both he AND Gwynn are ambassadors of the game, playing it the right way (except for Gwynn's weight...;)). Ripken was one of the top 5 recognizable players for a time. Gwynn is probably top 5-10 best pure hitters ever to play. They both deserve it.

agreed. The point is he's THE ONLY guy to do what he's done. "If it weren't for the streak".... How many guys would have monster numbers if they could stay consistent or stay healthy? Ripken was both. He was no A-Rod, but he's better than 95% of the other guys.

Geez, if ONLY there were players as consistant as Ripken was these days.

Gwynn had 3100+ hits, but only 750 for extra bases. That's 2400 singles. For a guy who couldn't run the last ten years of his career, I don't see what all the fuss is about him. Defensively, he was the outfield version of Ripken. He caught anything he could get to, which wasn't much. Early in his career, Gwynn could run and he was a threat to steal, and he was a much more valuable defensive player. He could get on base, but he couldn't steal a base for the last ten years. He drove in 100 runs one time. I'm not arguing with his selection, but he's as flawed a player as Ripken. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=1150

I agree with much of what has been said of Ripken. Ripken was the first of the modern, slugging shortstops. He'd be in with or without the streak. Without the streak, though, he wouldn't be "Cal Ripken." http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=789 He had two MVPs & was Rookie of Year. That said, I was always way more scared of Eddie Murrray with the game on the line.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)
Gwynn had 3100+ hits, but only 750 for extra bases. That's 2400 singles. For a guy who couldn't run the last ten years of his career, I don't see what all the fuss is about him. Defensively, he was the outfield version of Ripken. He caught anything he could get to, which wasn't much. Early in his career, Gwynn could run and he was a threat to steal, and he was a much more valuable defensive player. He could get on base, but he couldn't steal a base for the last ten years. He drove in 100 runs one time. I'm not arguing with his selection, but he's as flawed a player as Ripken. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=1150

I agree with much of what has been said of Ripken. Ripken was the first of the modern, slugging shortstops. He'd be in with or without the streak. Without the streak, though, he wouldn't be "Cal Ripken." http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=789 He had two MVPs & was Rookie of Year. That said, I was always way more scared of Eddie Murrray with the game on the line.

This is the thing. When you think about Cal Ripken, you compare him with the greatest SS's of all time. When you think of Tony Gwynn, you compare him with the greatest hitters of all time, not just the ones at his position.

You compare Ripken to Derek Jeter. You compare Gwynn to Ted Williams.

The fact that Ripken is one of the best-hitting shortstops of all time does not make him a better fit for the HOF over Gwynn, one of the greatest hitters, period.

Not that you were saying Ripken is more deserving.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 09:49 AM)
This is the thing. When you think about Cal Ripken, you compare him with the greatest SS's of all time. When you think of Tony Gwynn, you compare him with the greatest hitters of all time, not just the ones at his position.

You compare Ripken to Derek Jeter. You compare Gwynn to Ted Williams.

The fact that Ripken is one of the best-hitting shortstops of all time does not make him a better fit for the HOF over Gwynn, one of the greatest hitters, period.

Not that you were saying Ripken is more deserving.

True, and Gwynn simply does not compare to Williams because he just slapped singles.

The reason you consider HOF by position is because some positions take a greater toll physically on a player and, therefore, you can expect the stats to differ from position to position as a result. Comparing the offensive stats of a catcher to those of a 1B is unfair to the catcher. Catchers are compared to other catchers, 1B to 1B, etc. for the HOF.

What you're saying about Gwynn being compare to other great hitters is true though. He's compared to players like Wade Boggs.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 10:00 AM)
I'm just ecstatic to see this year's class be two truly professional, admirable human beings. Its a nice change from some of the players currently among the elite active ones.

Nice trend. Sandberg was deserving for years, as well, and he made a very good speech at the induction ceremonies that was echoed this year by Gwynn and Ripken.