official Sox announcement

cwsox

WHITE SOX ACQUIRE SECOND BASEMAN ROBERTO ALOMAR AND CASH

IN EXCHANGE FOR THREE MINOR LEAGUERS

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox have acquired second baseman Roberto Alomar, a 12-time All-Star, 10-time Rawlings® Gold Glove winner and four-time Silver Slugger award winner, and cash considerations from the New York Mets in exchange for minor-league pitchers Edwin Almonte and Royce Ring and infielder Andrew Salvo.

Alomar, 35, is hitting .262 (69-263) with an on-base percentage of .336 in 73 games with the Mets in 2003. The switch hitter has two home runs, 22 RBI and six stolen bases. Alomar is a career .302 (2,256-8,649) batter with 203 home runs, 1,093 RBI and 468 stolen bases in 16 seasons with San Diego (1988-90), Toronto (1991-95), Baltimore (1996-98), Cleveland (1999-01) and the Mets (2002-03). He was named to 11 consecutive All-Star teams from 1991-2001.

“Roberto continues to be a player with impressive offensive ability, and we are excited about what he brings to our lineup and our defense on the field,” said Ken Williams, White Sox general manager. “He is a switch hitter who has always shown the ability to get on base and score runs, while still being an extra-base threat at the plate.”

Alomar owns a .981 fielding percentage this season and a .984 mark for his career. He holds the record for consecutive errorless games by a second baseman with 90 from 1994-95. His 10 Gold Gloves are the most ever by a second baseman.

“Roberto gives us athleticism and experience on the right side of the infield,” said Williams. “He is one of the best second base gloves in the history of the game and his presence will help improve our team defense.”

Alomar rejoins his brother, Sandy, who catches for the White Sox.

Almonte, 26, is 2-6 with 14 saves and a 6.88 ERA (26 ER/34.0 IP) in 30 games at Class AAA Charlotte. The right-hander is 21-29 with 83 saves and a 3.12 ERA (149 ER/429.1 IP) in six minor-league seasons with the Sox.

Ring, 22, is 1-4 with 19 saves and a 2.52 ERA (10 ER/35.2 IP) in 36 games at Class AA Birmingham. The club’s first-round pick in the 2002 draft, the left-hander is 3-4 with 24 saves and a 2.83 ERA (20 ER/63.2 IP) in two seasons with the Sox organization.

Salvo, 23, has split the season between Class A Kannapolis and Class A Winston-Salem, hitting .223 (25-112) with one home run and six RBI in 42 games. The second baseman is a career .273 (168-615) hitter in three seasons.

Those Ring numbers are pretty nasty. It's a shame he had to go in the deal. Just hope it doesn't come back to haunt us, but these are the types of trades that define a GM. Maybe in the race, maybe not, and you decide to go for it or rebuild...and also being able to evaluate young talent and really know what you are giving up.

Last year's number 1 draft choice. I realize baseball teams cannot trade their draft choices, but even if they could, I don't think they would have done it last year for Alomar. And Royce Ring has pitched very well this year. He showed great promise, which is all you can ask for your minor league studs.

Those Ring numbers are pretty nasty. It's a shame he had to go in the deal. Just hope it doesn't come back to haunt us, but these are the types of trades that define a GM.

I remember when the Sox gave up a closer for another teams #1 draft pick who was at that time a minor league pitcher. Karchner for Garland. I just can't see parting with a #1 draft pick with a future for a 3 month rent-a-player.

I remember when the Sox gave up a closer for another teams #1 draft pick who was at that time a minor league pitcher. Karchner for Garland. I just can't see parting with a #1 draft pick with a future for a 3 month rent-a-player.

your analogy, Garland to Ring, works there, but in no way does the analogy work with Alomar and Karchner.

Ring has a lot of promise, and I hate to see him go, but there is no guarantee he will be a stud at the Major League level. Even if Alomar is a shell of his former self this gets Jimenez off the field, thats cause for celebration.

agree on Ring

I doubt Alomar is a shell of former self,

think he still has something to offer and losing D'Lo is a major plus:

like when we traded for Jose and Eldred, didn't mater what they did, they were taking Navarro and Snyder from us, so God bless the trade!

Alomar gives us anything, it is all gravy

agree on Ring

I doubt Alomar is a shell of former self,

think he still has something to offer and losing D'Lo is a major plus:

like when we traded for Jose and Eldred, didn't mater what they did, they were taking Navarro and Snyder from us, so God bless the trade!

Alomar gives us anything, it is all gravy

Exactly, addition by subtraction