7/29 Games - Egbert Dominates

maggsmaggs

Charlotte Wins 3-2

Erstad: 0-4, 3 k's (let him go Kenny, he is useless)

Sweeney: 1-5

Rogo: 2-3, 1 run, 1 RBI and 2 BBs

Phillips: 6 inn, 4 hits, 2 ER, 1 BB and 3 Ks

MacDougal: 2 inn, 1 hit, 5 Ks and no walks

Aardsma: 1 inn, 1 hit, 1 BB and 3 Ks for the save

B-Ham in Progress: Eggy Starting

Egbert: 7 inn, 3 hit, 2 BB and 12 Ks

Perez: 4-5

Lucy: 3-4 with 2 runs

Winston-Salem rained out

Kanny No Game

Bristol Wins 6-4rting

Martinez: 4-4

Rosario: 3.1 inn, 1 hit, 1 run (unearned), 2 BBs and 6 Ks

Great Falls Wins 19-9

Mead: 5-6, 3 runs, HR and 5 RBIs

SS Paiml: 3-5, 2 runs, 2B and 3B

Mollenhauer: 3-5, 4 runs, 3B and 3 RBIs

Persichina: 2-4, 4 runs

Edited by maggsmaggs

So what's the plan next with Eggy if he keeps pitching like this? Move him up to Charlotte, give him a shot in the Sox's pen, or could he be a guy who would possibly compete for a 5th starter's job next season if one of our starters was moved?

the Ks are just really really promising from egbert, for a guy who doesn't have ace stuff to get that many Ks tells me alot about this guy....what is not to like right now? hes not giving up alot of walks, he has a ton of Ks, a great ERA, is still only 23....i guess i would like to see him at the next level...basically this guy is starting to seem to me like all the good things we saw in mccarthy, coupled with the fact that he keeps the ball in the park and on the ground, which was brandon's biggest weakness

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 10:35 AM)
the Ks are just really really promising from egbert, for a guy who doesn't have ace stuff to get that many Ks tells me alot about this guy....what is not to like right now? hes not giving up alot of walks, he has a ton of Ks, a great ERA, is still only 23....i guess i would like to see him at the next level...basically this guy is starting to seem to me like all the good things we saw in mccarthy, coupled with the fact that he keeps the ball in the park and on the ground, which was brandon's biggest weakness

That's the thing, with his sinker, and the way KW has been drafting and trading for those type of pitchers, I really thibnk Egbert could be the next guy the Sox go with if they're looking for a starter.

Of course it's probably best if the Sox move him up to Charlotte right now, get him in a similar envrionment as to what he'd be facing at the Cell and see how he handles himself there.

He could end up being a poor man's Brandon Webb when it's all said and done hopefully.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 29, 2007 -> 08:09 PM)
If either one of Podsednik or Erstad is back with this organization in any capacity next season..........

Not that this is the right thread to discuss it but I wouldnt mind having Pods back as a possible 4th OF or if we have a sure fire backup plan in place for when he gets injured.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 03:05 AM)
IMO, if were just talking about a 4th OF option, Owens will get the job done for at least half the cost of Podsednik. We have been saying this for almost a year now, but as it stands, Podsednik is a zero tool player. Can't hit, can't get on base, can't run, can't field, and can't throw.

There should be no spot for him on this team.

Podsednik would be an awful fourth outfielder, too -- he can only play one position. And as it is, we already have two fourth outfielders in Terrero and Owens -- let's hope this organization doesn't try to make them anything more than that.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 29, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
IMO, if were just talking about a 4th OF option, Owens will get the job done for at least half the cost of Podsednik. We have been saying this for almost a year now, but as it stands, Podsednik is a zero tool player. Can't hit, can't get on base, can't run, can't field, and can't throw.

There should be no spot for him on this team.

Scott Podsednik would get at least $3 mil next year for the Sox to keep him; still arb. eligible. So Owens would get the job done for 1/6 of his cost or less.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 29, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
can someone find me a better duo in the minors then Jack and Gio this season?

Gio: 3.04 ERA | 7-5 W-L | 115.1 IP | 142 SO

Eggy: 2.57 ERA | 11-7 W-L | 133 IP | 135 SO

Gio & Eggy: 2.81 ERA | 18-12 W-L | 248.1 IP | 277 SO

The only one that would be close, IMHO, would be two from the Horne/Chamberlin/Kennedy trio climbing the Yankees ladder. The won-loss total for those two guys is outrageous when you look at the other numbers. Has to be frustrating.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 29, 2007 -> 10:03 PM)
Not that this is the right thread to discuss it but I wouldnt mind having Pods back as a possible 4th OF or if we have a sure fire backup plan in place for when he gets injured.

I'd rather keep Mackowiak around at a very similar price than Mr. Dergen's inept ass. At least Mack can play 2 OF spots well, take a walk, offer a little speed, come through with some good clutch hitting and STAY HEALTHY.

QUOTE(Calderon @ Jul 30, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)
The only one that would be close, IMHO, would be two from the Horne/Chamberlin/Kennedy trio climbing the Yankees ladder. The won-loss total for those two guys is outrageous when you look at the other numbers. Has to be frustrating.

Thats what I was thinking, Kennedy and Chamberlain have been lights out this year. The two of them have followed each other through High Class A, AA, and now AAA. Their combined stats are:

20-4

2.16 ERA

201.3 IP

260 K's

So their probably better, but Egbert and Gio have been amazing this year as well.