Iraq General Thread

EvilMonkey

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
BTW - My voting record for Presidential candidates:

88: Bush

92: Perot

96: Dole

00: Bush

04: Kerry

OMG, I have the same Presidential voting record as BS. I think I need a drink.

Do you also tend to vote GOP for city council and state house/senate?

I actually voted for the Green Party in the most recent Governer's election, because I couldn't stand to vote for Clueless or the Devil.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 08:30 PM)
Seems like Ron Paul should be your man? You supporting him?

To be honest, I like mostly what he has to say, but - I do differ on him with Iraq and the Middle East - he started that whacko "it's our fault" crap re: 9/11 - and that instantly turns me off.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)
Blackwater update. The House passed legislation to put these contractors under US prosecutorial jurisdiction, by a hhuge super-majority (389-30). I guess they finally realized it might not be so good that these folks were operating without any sort of oversight or legal limitations, because the administration (DOD and State mostly, you can thank Rummy and Condi for this one) structured their contracts in such a way that they slipped between the cracks. No military justice, no US legal justice.

Senate to vote soon, and if they have a similar majority, then Bush's veto will be useless.

He wouldn't veto this, the legislation's purpose is to keep blackwater employees from being prosecuted in Iraq.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 03:32 PM)
Do you also tend to vote GOP for city council and state house/senate?

It's been a mix to be honest. Not really favoring one side over another.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 03:32 PM)
I actually voted for the Green Party in the most recent Governer's election, because I couldn't stand to vote for Clueless or the Devil.

Likewise.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
To be honest, I like mostly what he has to say, but - I do differ on him with Iraq and the Middle East - he started that whacko "it's our fault" crap re: 9/11 - and that instantly turns me off.

Has he really said stuff like that? I haven't seen it. I saw one quote where he said that part of the reason things are the way they are over there (in terms of the hatred of the US) was due to our own actions. And he is 100% right about that. But that's not the same as saying that 9/11 was our fault.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 08:37 PM)
Has he really said stuff like that? I haven't seen it. I saw one quote where he said that part of the reason things are the way they are over there (in terms of the hatred of the US) was due to our own actions. And he is 100% right about that. But that's not the same as saying that 9/11 was our fault.

On this one, I am probably prisoner to the "context". . . I hate that. Everything is a stupid soundbyte.

I'll have to do some reading, but the thing is, he has very little chance anyway, unfortunately.

I will end up voting for the lesser of two trash heaps again, just like last time.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
On this one, I am probably prisoner to the "context". . . I hate that. Everything is a stupid soundbyte.

I'll have to do some reading, but the thing is, he has very little chance anyway, unfortunately.

I will end up voting for the lesser of two trash heaps again, just like last time.

I really think he is getting some momentum. Timing is everything. And he really has a solid grass roots foundation.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)
I really think he is getting some momentum. Timing is everything. And he really has a solid grass roots foundation.

I'm still holding out a very small sliver of illogical hope for a Richardson vs Paul election in November of '08. They both have some momentum right now, though they are still huge long shots.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 08:47 PM)
I'm still holding out a very small sliver of illogical hope for a Richardson vs Paul election in November of '08. They both have some momentum right now, though they are still huge long shots.

Now that would be a decent election, and it would be one of ideas and less on attacks. The problem is, no one from either party wants that. It's all fear-mongering politics, and that's how the honchos want it in the parties. Not on a local level, but on a national level.

Very interesting article in today's Trib about the insurgency, and why the violence saw a sudden downturn recently. There is good news and bad news. The good news is, these insurgent groups are starting to think like political factions instead of just warring tribes. Further, they are seriously considering aligning themselves more with the U.S. The bad news though, is that its a temporary freeze in action, not anything due to the gains the military claims were gotten due to the "surge". Also bad, the freeze is under the expectation that the US will start materially pulling out troops, AND let former and current insurgent groups be part of the government.

So there is an opening there, but it seems that opening leads to another dead end.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 10:43 AM)
Very interesting article in today's Trib about the insurgency, and why the violence saw a sudden downturn recently. There is good news and bad news. The good news is, these insurgent groups are starting to think like political factions instead of just warring tribes. Further, they are seriously considering aligning themselves more with the U.S. The bad news though, is that its a temporary freeze in action, not anything due to the gains the military claims were gotten due to the "surge". Also bad, the freeze is under the expectation that the US will start materially pulling out troops, AND let former and current insurgent groups be part of the government.

So there is an opening there, but it seems that opening leads to another dead end.

Did the trib have any credible sources or is this some theory from a reporter?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
The source was right there in the story - its the insurgent leader that is interviewed. ???

I didn't have time to read it. Plus, IIRC the Trib has a registration thingy.

Thanks.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 01:16 PM)
I link to an article, you question the article, I clarify, and you tell me you didn't read the article? :lolhitting

I asked what sources they had because I didn't read the article. I trust that you can offer a good synopsis of the article. If you wanted us to read it, why explain it? :lolhitting

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
I asked what sources they had because I didn't read the article. I trust that you can offer a good synopsis of the article. If you wanted us to read it, why explain it? :lolhitting

I just gave a precis. A teaser, if you will. I didn't really do the material any justice - just giving people an idea of what the article was about.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 01:38 PM)
I just gave a precis. A teaser, if you will. I didn't really do the material any justice - just giving people an idea of what the article was about.

Well damn then, I guess I'll have to drop my print media boycott and read it.

Unable to get enough GOP votes to override a Prez veto on any restrictions, deadlines or pullouts from the Iraq mess, the Democrats have now decided to wait it out. Basically, they have decided the current climate and balance in Congress won't allow them to stop the war unless they take the doomsday approach of cutting off all funding. But, knowing the President's time is now limited, and the significant chance there will be even larger majorities in both chambers come 2008 (and possibly a Dem President), they are going to let the administration hang themselves with the Iraq rope (along with the GOP), and see what they can do when the current terms are over.