Next year's outfield

AirScott

Every prospective 2008 starting outfield posted here has no punch, no matter the combination of players. The most recent one I saw only named Owens in CF and Sweeney in RF for sure.

I don't like Owens in center. And even if Brian Anderson gets another shot, it's still a punchless outfield. He won't get another shot, anyway, it seems.

Andruw Jones is a free agent after this season, and although he's hitting only .216, he'll be 31 next season and has nine straight years now of 20+ home runs. He's on pace for about 30, so I hope he's considered by KW this offseason. He's generally good for 30-40 home runs and a .260 batting average, so if it's assumed Konerko and Thome will be back, Jones would be a good fit at No. 5 in the lineup.

Torii Hunter should also be sought after by the Sox. But is this not the best-case scenario for the 2008 outfield: Owens in LF, Jones/Hunter in CF, Sweeney in RF?

Edited by AirScott

And I know the hang-up in this case is money, but remember Pods' $3 million or so, Crede's $5 million or so, Jermaine Dye's $7 million and Jose Contreras' $10 million figure to be shaved from the 2008 payroll, or at least the latter two's.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
And I know the hang-up in this case is money, but remember Pods' $3 million or so, Crede's $5 million or so, Jermaine Dye's $7 million and Jose Contreras' $10 million figure to be shaved from the 2008 payroll, or at least the latter two's.

Well it as of right now, it appears JD isn't going to be traded. With that being said look for the Sox to re-sign him. Look for Rowand to come back and I expect Owens to take that final OF spot in LF.

Say goodbye to Pods, Erstad, Anderson, and Mackowiack.

Jones and Hunter are going to ask for an arm and a leg, and we know how reluctant the White Sox are to spend big money.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)
Jones and Hunter are going to ask for an arm and a leg, and we know how reluctant the White Sox are to spend big money.

The difference between what what those 2 get and what Rowand gets is going to be disturbingly small.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 01:19 PM)
I don't know if anyone will push it to $14, but you're not too far off.

yeah its probably gonna be more like 11 or 12. I think hes good for about 7 or maybe 8. I think the way things can get out of hand in the off season i would say 14 is posibility.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)

Payroll currenty sits at about $85 mil on the books for next year, including the $7.3 Mil in from Phily its about $78 mil. That total includes contreras who is under contract, but not crede who is not. If we assume we spend $90 Mil next year thats only $12 Mil to spend in the offseason not enough for anything major. If we dump contreras and keep crede off the roster we have around $22 Mil to spend. Looking better.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
If its those three, Dye is in RF and Owens in LF. Owens has played a lot of LF, Dye has a stronger arm, Owens has more speed.

I know... in retrospect, it was a bad idea to go from 9-8-7 instead of 7-8-9.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 09:36 AM)
Andruw Jones is a free agent after this season, and although he's hitting only .216, he'll be 31 next season and has nine straight years now of 20+ home runs. He's on pace for about 30, so I hope he's considered by KW this offseason. He's generally good for 30-40 home runs and a .260 batting average, so if it's assumed Konerko and Thome will be back, Jones would be a good fit at No. 5 in the lineup.?

Jones is a shell of what he used to be defensively and will be looking for a huge contract. And isn't Borass his agent? No thanks.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
After today, I thought we might be able to see what direction this team was going in, and what path we might take this off-season. The deadline is now over, and I still have no idea. What direction does this franchise have right now? Are we just letting Dye walk at the end of the year? Even if they do re-up with him, what is happening in left and center? Are they really going to stick with Uribe next season? The pen? Contreras?

Now I didn't expect all these questions to be answered today, but I thought we might have a little better idea, and we got nothing. Right or wrong, I just want to know this franchise has some sort of plan, direction, or idea, and it really seems like there is nothing.

Kenny has a plan, it's just not a very good one. It involves taking the same core that sucked this year and tryng to fill holes without spending money. Not a good plan, but it is a plan.

Bob

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
Since we're not likely to spend the money necessary to acquire Hunter and Fukodome, we're probably looking at something like Owens, Rowand, and Dye.

Why do so many people think Aaron Rowand will not cash in significantly this offseason? He is beloved in Chicago and Philly by both fans and teammates. His numbers this year have been outstanding. He is getting a fat paycheck unless he decides to give a hometown discount to the Phils or Sox. I know he loves Chicago and Ozzie, but there has to be a tipping point with respect to salary.

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
Why do so many people think Aaron Rowand will not cash in significantly this offseason? He is beloved in Chicago and Philly by both fans and teammates. His numbers this year have been outstanding. He is getting a fat paycheck unless he decides to give a hometown discount to the Phils or Sox. I know he loves Chicago and Ozzie, but there has to be a tipping point with respect to salary.

Kenny loves him and he loves the Sox, that's why most people believe we'll make a serious run at him. I'm starting to shift towards your belief though, he'll make too much money and end up elsewhere.

Edited by Rowand44

I really don't know what this Org. is gonna do. I have a feeling Dye will be back and I can see us making a run at Rowand. Hunter is gonna be out of our price range as is Jones. I can see us bringing back Pods if Owens goes into the tank the rest of the season. I'm not sold on Owens at all, but I also want no part of Pods anymore. KW has his work cut out for him this offseason. Depending on how Richar does the rest of the year, he may have to get a 2nd baseman and SS. I want Uribe outta here.

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)

He'll get paid, but he'll still be cheaper than Hunter...and I think that's why most people on here think he'll be with the White Sox. Plus, he's made it clear that he loves the city and the White Sox organization.

We should be spending every dime we can on the bullpen, so I'm fine with Rowand instead of Hunter.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
We should be spending every dime we can on the bullpen, so I'm fine with Rowand instead of Hunter.

The difference between Rowand and Hunter money-wise this offseason is going to be less than the price of 1 relief pitcher, IMO.

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 03:35 PM)
I really don't know what this Org. is gonna do. I have a feeling Dye will be back and I can see us making a run at Rowand. Hunter is gonna be out of our price range as is Jones. I can see us bringing back Pods if Owens goes into the tank the rest of the season. I'm not sold on Owens at all, but I also want no part of Pods anymore. KW has his work cut out for him this offseason. Depending on how Richar does the rest of the year, he may have to get a 2nd baseman and SS. I want Uribe outta here.

Slightly off topic but, I luuuuuuv your signature. I have one for the old-schoolers..."Wimpy, you're awesome". Thanks for the laugh.

Edited by Beltin'Bill

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)
The difference between Rowand and Hunter money-wise this offseason is going to be less than the price of 1 relief pitcher, IMO.

I agree, but my point was that the money saved could possibly go to acquiring a better reliever...maybe monetary difference would be so insignificant that it wouldn't make any difference. I'm sure that KW/JR wouldn't mind spending a little extra to acquire the player Kenny was targeting over the next best option.