sox can still trade jose

beleiveinbrian44

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:08 AM)
How do you get results, if you don't put them out there to try and get results?

Floyd is bad... but what if he's told you are going to get your shot, it's now or never, you have the rest of the season to put it together, mental midget... get it right, or get DFA'd. By the way, what is his contract status?

He has over 100 innings in the majors. Most with his results never get another opportunity. He is regressing every season. Why doesn't Haegar or Gio or someone else get a shot then. If Floyd warrant signficant stretch in the major league rotation, there are a lot of guys just as worthy. Give them a shot. Why not say to Floyd, look you have been awful. You're lucky you're getting a major league paycheck. Get someone out and keep the ball in the park and we will then, and only then give you a shot at a role in the rotation?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:03 AM)
Why is putting Contreras out there every 5th game just giving the game away, and putting Floyd out there something different? As bad as Contreras has been, Floyd is just as if not more awful. At least Contreras has a history to suggest he may someday find success again. Putting Floyd out there sends the wrong message to others in the organization. Reward younger pitchers for results, not because they were part of a deal for a popular pitcher.

Because we've invested in Floyd, and he was strong in AAA under THIS organization. So I say give him a real starting shot - don't tell him he is starting ONCE. Tell him he gets 4 starts, then can earn more - that is how you build confidence. If he pitches, great. If he sucks, then give September to Haeger.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
He has over 100 innings in the majors. Most with his results never get another opportunity. He is regressing every season. Why doesn't Haegar or Gio or someone else get a shot then. If Floyd warrant signficant stretch in the major league rotation, there are a lot of guys just as worthy. Give them a shot. Why not say to Floyd, look you have been awful. You're lucky you're getting a major league paycheck. Get someone out and keep the ball in the park and we will then, and only then give you a shot at a role in the rotation?

I guess where I'm coming from is you flat out tell him this is his last chance and no matter how bad it gets, he gets his shot - if he gets roughed up, he'll get another shot in 5 days. Pitch with confidence... go get them, the whole rah rah rah speech.

If he doesn't cut it, DFA. Goodbye.

Haeger has been just as bad, IMO, lately. And Gio, let him pitch in Charlotte and give him a look next year. He's up and coming, not coming and down, like Floyd. It's put up or shut up... and let's get it figured out one way or the other. Bullpen roles is not what we have him for, so this is it.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 08:59 PM)
Just about every player on every team gets put through some sort of waivers. Revocable or Irrevocable...and I'm not sure either...I think you are right about the window.

This is true, every player on the White Sox's 40 man roster will be placed on waivers, if they pass through unclaimed the White Sox attempt to trade them to any team in baseball through the end of August. If the player is claimed the Sox can do one of 3 things 1.) relinquish the rights to that player giving him to the team that put in the claim, 2.) pull him back off waivers making it impossible to trade him for the rest of the year or 3.) try to work out a deal with the team that claimed him, there's a window (7 days I think) in which the Sox could negotiate a trade with the team that put in the claim, only players not on the 40 man roster or others players who have been passed through waivers may be a part of the deal.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:55 AM)
Jose will probably finish the season in the bullpen. Very doubtful he will be on the roster next season. I am starting to think that he lied about his age when his contract was extended.

You know what? Even with Jose's long pre-game rituatl and the fact that he wouldn't be used to it, how in the world does it hurt to try him in the pen at this point?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
You know what? Even with Jose's long pre-game rituatl and the fact that he wouldn't be used to it, how in the world does it hurt to try him in the pen at this point?

My opinion is it is probably even more fruitless then him starting at this point.

They need to "find" an injury and open up that roster spot for another looksie.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:27 AM)
My opinion is it is probably even more fruitless then him starting at this point.

I agree. Jose can throw simulated games while "recovering."

Given how overly-sensitive Jose can be, I don't see how moving him to long-relief mop-up duty would help HIM. The team is beyond help at this point, but I think that Jose might be salvageable for next season if he can re-gain his command and confidence.

Edited by WCSox

If you put him in the bullpen, he becomes MORE of an injury risk. Because he takes so long to warm up and the bullpen can't handle someone like that. Bullpen duty would make him worse, if you ask me (which you didn't).

Put him on the DL for exhaustion or something like that. And let him work out his issues on the side.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
If you put him in the bullpen, he becomes MORE of an injury risk. Because he takes so long to warm up and the bullpen can't handle someone like that. Bullpen duty would make him worse, if you ask me (which you didn't).

Put him on the DL for exhaustion or something like that. And let him work out his issues on the side.

Well, hasn't the team said before that they'd actually like him to shorten up his routine? I could have swore I read that somewhere. Just because he's adapted to one thing throughout his career doesn't mean he won't be able to adapt at all to changing a few things.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:27 AM)

Umm hello...? McFly...??? Did I not just say this?!?!

:stick

:wall

:lolhitting

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
Well, hasn't the team said before that they'd actually like him to shorten up his routine? I could have swore I read that somewhere. Just because he's adapted to one thing throughout his career doesn't mean he won't be able to adapt at all to changing a few things.

You can't teach an OOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDDD dog new tricks. At this point in his career...he's not going to be able to adapt like we want him to.