Next to #300...

briguy27

randy johnson. He is 16 away and has 2 more years left on his contract. If he can return some what healthy from back surgery, and average 8 wins a year for the next two years, he will get it.

I remember after Maddox got his 300th win, there was talk about perhaps no other pitcher ever reaching 300.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)
randy johnson. He is 16 away and has 2 more years left on his contract. If he can return some what healthy from back surgery, and average 8 wins a year for the next two years, he will get it.

I remember after Maddox got his 300th win, there was talk about perhaps no other pitcher ever reaching 300.

RJ aint coming back for another year from everything I have heard, infact he might be done already.

Well...Buehrle has a shot. So does Roy Oswalt. Roy Halladay has an outside chance, but it probably won't happen -- too many DL stints. And you can put Johan Santana on that list.

This will really depend on longevity. If Buehrle can pitch till he's 42 or so, and win 20 games once or twice, he can do it. And he can't play on teams like this one many more times. And if the current trend continues, a move to the NL would be wise for him. He could pitch for the Cardinals in his twilight years, like I remember he expressed the desire to do.

I bet Buerhle pushes 250 wins. However, although I do doubt this, 300 is not out of the realm of possibility.

Lets say he finished the year at 108 (he's at 105 right now right?). Now, over the next 4 years we wont be this bad every year i'd like to think. So, say he averages 13 wins, which is conservative, thats 52 wins to put him at 160 by the time he is 32. Now he will probably be in "prime years" 4-5 more years. Say he averages 13-15 those seasons as well. That means 52-60 wins over 4 years or 65-73 over 5. That means by the time he is 37 its possible he could have 230 wins. That puts him 70 short, which seems like a lot, but if he could hang around a la Jaime Moyer and pitch till hes 42 averaging 12 wins a year that would put him right on the doorstep.

Now, is this probable? Of course not. He will need to play on some good teams, play a long time (which means he'll have to want to play a long time) and will have to avoid the injury bug. The thing about MB that favors him though is his delivery is smooth, he loves the game, has no injury history and has solid mechanics and gets by without prototypical "great stuff" already. If MB can have a Jomie Moyer like end of his career (38-43), he stands a legit shot at 300 in my opinion

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)
Mussina...maybe.

I thought about him...but he's 38 years old. He'll have around 250 wins to start next season, when he'll be 39, and have to win 15-18 games for three years to get to 300 wins. But his ERA is the worst it's been since 1996 right now, so he might not have enough left in him to do it -- unless he goes to the NL, maybe.

Randy Johnson will get it, and he might just keep playing until he does.

Other than that I dont think any player is going to come close to 300 wins for a long time, players are either getting injured or blowing out their arms.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:58 PM)
People used to say that in the eighties. "No more!"

It's definitely going to happen again sometime somewhere.

# of starts per year is down

# of innings pitched by starters is down

Managers are more likely to go to their bullpens earlier

Most players don't stick around as long as they used to, because they can retire earlier

Way more injuries, DL trips, surgery's etc for starters

It is just getting harder and harders statistically for pitchers to win this many games, and it is happening less and less. Heck if you want to talk about the 80s, look at how far the number of IP and starts have gone down just since then, even with still having 5 man rotations.

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that arguably two of the most dominant pitchers of the era -- Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson -- barely factor into this discussion? Johnson has 284 wins, but he's been on the DL this season and is 43 years old (will be 44 by season's end).

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:35 PM)
Am I the only one who finds it interesting that arguably two of the most dominant pitchers of the era -- Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson -- barely factor into this discussion? Johnson has 284 wins, but he's been on the DL this season and is 43 years old (will be 44 by season's end).

Why would Pedro factor into this discussion? He had his dominant years. However, he has been on the decline for a few years and struggled with health. That along with shoulder surgery. He still needs 90+ wins. I don't think he has enough left to get that at all.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:08 PM)
# of starts per year is down

# of innings pitched by starters is down

Managers are more likely to go to their bullpens earlier

Most players don't stick around as long as they used to, because they can retire earlier

Way more injuries, DL trips, surgery's etc for starters

It is just getting harder and harders statistically for pitchers to win this many games, and it is happening less and less. Heck if you want to talk about the 80s, look at how far the number of IP and starts have gone down just since then, even with still having 5 man rotations.

There will be another three hundred game winner.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:35 PM)

Randy Johnson will have to pitch two more years to make it, and it doesn't sound like that will happen. Pedro doesn't have a chance, his body won't let him.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)
Why would Pedro factor into this discussion? He had his dominant years. However, he has been on the decline for a few years and struggled with health. That along with shoulder surgery. He still needs 90+ wins. I don't think he has enough left to get that at all.

The "barely" had more to do with Johnson being mentioned in this thread, but Pedro is another pitcher with an outside shot if he stays healthy and regains the form he had in 2005, his first year with the Mets. And he has the advantage of pitching for what figures to be a top-5 NL team for the next five years or so. That doesn't mean I think he'll do it, but there's the possibility.

Edited by AirScott