Kris Honel Retired?

BamaJason

QUOTE(BamaJason @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
Heard a rumor tonight at the Barons game that Honel retired today. I don't know if it is true or not; has anyone else heard this?

there's a snippet on the tribune article saying Honel informed the sox he is retiring, so its true.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 10:22 PM)
Look at what that good use of a first round pick got us.

It's not like it was a bad pick. Honel's problem was injuries. He was once very highly regarded. Kinda sad, considering his potential and his relatively young age.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 10:22 PM)
Look at what that good use of a first round pick got us.

Ya because he was horrible before his injuries and our scouts should have known he'd get injured. Its one thing to blame scouts for bad picks that flame out, but not for players who show actual promis but get taken down by unforseen injuries (i.e Rauch, Honel, Wing, Stumm). Blaming scouts for Honel being a "bad first round pick" is just dumb

QUOTE(BamaJason @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
Heard a rumor tonight at the Barons game that Honel retired today. I don't know if it is true or not; has anyone else heard this?

I'd say it might be true. Santana used everybody in the pen except Honel and Russell last night. CB said that nobody was available after Perez came in. That's two retirements for the Barons this year. Jeremy West's was out of nowhere, but Honel just pitched bad this year. It wasn't getting any better. I don't think I saw Honel at all last night. But I can't be sure. It must have just happened, because I have seen him in the dugout this week.

Edited by JPN366

Very sad. I was following his comeback this year and there was a period of time that I thought he'd get it back. Like others have said, he was inideed a terrific prospect. Unfortunately, the injuries just took their toll on him. Whatever the case, best wishes to Kris in the future.

QUOTE(JPN366 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:06 AM)
I'd say it might be true. Santana used everybody in the pen except Honel and Russell last night. CB said that nobody was available after Perez came in. That's two retirements for the Barons this year. Jeremy West's was out of nowhere, but Honel just pitched bad this year. It wasn't getting any better. I don't think I saw Honel at all last night. But I can't be sure. It must have just happened, because I have seen him in the dugout this week.

Hey JPN-

With Gustavo leaving Charlotte, and D Lucy out of the lineup last night... any word on Lucy being promoted? I was expecting that would be the result, but I don't see anything on it yet.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:04 AM)
Hey JPN-

With Gustavo leaving Charlotte, and D Lucy out of the lineup last night... any word on Lucy being promoted? I was expecting that would be the result, but I don't see anything on it yet.

Not JPN, but I will add a little to this. Lucy was at the game last night. I think he deserves a promotion, but I would really hate to see him go. He is a helluva guy and great to watch. I've been away with a death in the family for a few days and am just now hearing about Molina leaving Charlotte, but can't find anything about it? What's going on?

QUOTE(BamaJason @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:38 AM)
Not JPN, but I will add a little to this. Lucy was at the game last night. I think he deserves a promotion, but I would really hate to see him go. He is a helluva guy and great to watch. I've been away with a death in the family for a few days and am just now hearing about Molina leaving Charlotte, but can't find anything about it? What's going on?

Here is the G Molina thread.

If he was there last night, maybe they don't intend to promote him. Just seemed like a good time to do so. They are now saying Kenny Perez will be promoted. Why him I don't know.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:51 AM)
Here is the G Molina thread.

If he was there last night, maybe they don't intend to promote him. Just seemed like a good time to do so. They are now saying Kenny Perez will be promoted. Why him I don't know.

Thanks for the info about Molina. As for Perez, with Getz coming off the DL, Perez was not needed any longer. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear a little more about Lucy in the next week or so. Just a gut feeling.

QUOTE(BamaJason @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)

Well I wish Kris the best of luck. He was once one of the org's top prospects and he battled around and busted his butt to come back numerous times.

I think they were trying to outright Molina off the 40 man roster and he had to clear waivers, but didn't. Just like Pedro Lopez back in May. Kenny Williams stated that Molina was passed over by Lucy and Cole Armstrong, so he was not valued by the organization anymore.

Good to see Getz back in action. Perez was good with the bat while he was in B'ham, sorry to see him go.

Honel's retirement is official, check the Barons gamenotes. I guess that means somebody's getting promoted from Winston-Salem. I'd guess either John Wesley, Derek Rodriguez, Kyle McCulloch or John Lujan. They also have to make room for Jon Link, who played in the California League, so Winston-Salem would be a likely destination for him.

My regards for your loss, Jason.

I'm the same age as Kris and we faced one another our senior year of high school. My team actually had Cesar Carrillo take the mound against him, so that game was a scout's dream. Anyway, Honel had easily the nastiest stuff I've ever seen, and having played in the Catholic League, I saw Gorzelany, Pignatello, Bogusevic, and Keefner who were all highly regarded. It's a shame he injuries got the best of him because I think he'd have been a pretty good major league pitcher.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)
I'm the same age as Kris and we faced one another our senior year of high school. My team actually had Cesar Carrillo take the mound against him, so that game was a scout's dream. Anyway, Honel had easily the nastiest stuff I've ever seen, and having played in the Catholic League, I saw Gorzelany, Pignatello, Bogusevic, and Keefner who were all highly regarded. It's a shame he injuries got the best of him because I think he'd have been a pretty good major league pitcher.

mt. carmel?

I went to De La Salle...I remember when we had a good baseball team...

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 12:56 PM)
Well I wish Kris the best of luck. He was once one of the org's top prospects and he battled around and busted his butt to come back numerous times.

Jason, Applebee's S. Carolina, KH 28, bloomin onions?

why am I invisible here?

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)

I went to Providence with Honel and Pignatiello. Those two as your 1 and 1a, figured we would have won a state title. Ahh anyway, bad breaks for Honel both physically and mentally was what I have heard. Back when Honel led the league in strikeouts I always thought it'd be cool that I went to the same high school as a Sox pitcher at the same time he did. Oh well. But hey, Carmen is doing pretty good for Iowa, maybe he'll get called up and the Sox can rock him next year.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 05:07 PM)
mt. carmel?

I went to De La Salle...I remember when we had a good baseball team...

Yeah, I played at MC. Carmel and De LaSalle had some great games back in the day. I always hated playing at De because it was about 250ft to RF (or so it seemed).

QUOTE(JoeCredeYes @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
I went to Providence with Honel and Pignatiello. Those two as your 1 and 1a, figured we would have won a state title. Ahh anyway, bad breaks for Honel both physically and mentally was what I have heard. Back when Honel led the league in strikeouts I always thought it'd be cool that I went to the same high school as a Sox pitcher at the same time he did. Oh well. But hey, Carmen is doing pretty good for Iowa, maybe he'll get called up and the Sox can rock him next year.

Yeah, I'm still kind of amazed that Providence didn't roll through the state tourney with those two on the mound. Just days after Kris signed with the Sox, I played in the the Catholic League All-Star game (which the Sox didn't allow Kris to play in of course) and there were some stories about how he may have let some of the press and accolades get to his head. I don't know Kris, so I'm not sure if any of that is true, but it's definitely understandable. Anyway, I'd love to see Pignatello and Cesar make it and be successful in the bigs some day.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:08 PM)
Yeah, I'm still kind of amazed that Providence didn't roll through the state tourney with those two on the mound. Just days after Kris signed with the Sox, I played in the the Catholic League All-Star game (which the Sox didn't allow Kris to play in of course) and there were some stories about how he may have let some of the press and accolades get to his head. I don't know Kris, so I'm not sure if any of that is true, but it's definitely understandable. Anyway, I'd love to see Pignatello and Cesar make it and be successful in the bigs some day.

He was the typical cocky jock. Dumped his long term GF right after he signed, cant remember how much his bonus was, but quite sure it made him a millionaire. He also had a "K" tattooed on his right shoulder, and it wasn't because his name started with a K. Oh yeah he also used to carry around a baseball bat in the hallways. Pretty much sums up all I can remember from high school.