I-35W Bridge Collapses into Mississippi River in Minneapolis

Heads22

People were crawling to rescue Wednesday after the 35W bridge over the Mississippi River has collapsed. Cars were on fire.

Witnesses have told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that people are in the water.

5 EYEWITNESS NEWS crews estimate as many as 50 vehicles are in the crash.

Police began a rescue operation to save those people. Emergency crews are on the scene.

Witnesses tell us they heard a loud rubbling noise before the collapse.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 07:49 PM)
The authorities are also saying they don't think it was terrorism, if anyone was wondering. They also made it sounds like they expect more fatalities to be discovered as the night goes on.

I read earlier that the bridge was also under construction at the time, with work done last night and more slated to be done tonight.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:52 PM)
I read earlier that the bridge was also under construction at the time, with work done last night and more slated to be done tonight.

I've heard it was just cosmetic though. It doesn't really matter if it was under construction, as there were lanes closed, but the bridge wasn't closed down. We all drive on bridges all the time under construction. Somebody doing the inspection a few years ago made a serious goof, or something freakish has happened since then. They'll know for sure what happened in a while.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
I've heard it was just cosmetic though. It doesn't really matter if it was under construction, as there were lanes closed, but the bridge wasn't closed down. We all drive on bridges all the time under construction. Somebody doing the inspection a few years ago made a serious goof, or something freakish has happened since then. They'll know for sure what happened in a while.

According to the CNN article, an inspection in 2001 revealed significant fatigue issues in the bridge spans, and that if cracks developed in certain places, a collapse was possible (but not a given). But the same report also said that the cracks were unlikely to occur, and that the fixes could be postponed.

If the inspection was done by a private firm, I'm guessing they just went out of business.

Just after midnight on 9/15/01 the Causeway collapsed that linked South Padre Island with the mainland. Same results, cars drove off into the bay below. Many people thought it was another terrorist attacks, this coming days after the 9/11 attacks. My guess was drunk barge Captain. I was close, greedy, over loaded, barge Captain. In that case, the causeway has a steep climb over this section as it passes over the ship channel. The area that collapsed was a blind spot as you crest the hill. I passed over that spot about 50 times this summer, sometimes getting stopped on that spot. Each time my butt puckered up just a bit.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 07:50 PM)
Everyone who lives here knows people who take that bridge every day. Long night ahead, I'm afraid.

Yep, horrible stuff. My neighbor was on University two blocks away when it happened, really lucky she wasn't involved.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 10:55 AM)
Just after midnight on 9/15/01 the Causeway collapsed that linked South Padre Island with the mainland. Same results, cars drove off into the bay below. Many people thought it was another terrorist attacks, this coming days after the 9/11 attacks. My guess was drunk barge Captain. I was close, greedy, over loaded, barge Captain. In that case, the causeway has a steep climb over this section as it passes over the ship channel. The area that collapsed was a blind spot as you crest the hill. I passed over that spot about 50 times this summer, sometimes getting stopped on that spot. Each time my butt puckered up just a bit.

Thinking about Jim in Florida again? :wub:

The 40-year-old bridge was rated as "structurally deficient" two years ago and possibly in need of replacement, the Star Tribune reported. The newspaper said that rating was contained in the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Bridge Inventory database.

"We've seen it, and we are very familiar with it," Jeanne Aamodt, a spokeswoman for the Minnesota Department of Transportation, said of the 2005 assessment of the bridge.

Aamodt noted that many other bridges around the country carry the same designation that the I-35W bridge received. She declined to say what the agency was going to do to address the deficiencies found in 2005.

Link. Doesn't that make you feel so much better?

In 2005, the same year that bridge was given that rating by the DOT, Minnesota's governor vetoed a $.10 a gallon gas tax increase that would have provided about $700 million a year for infrastructure improvements to Minnesota's road system.

Doubtful that this would have made a difference on this particular collapse given that only 2 years had gone by, but I'd say that it's something to think about, since there are estimates that say something like $1.5 trillion or more in infrastructure spending is overdue in this country.

If this leads to prioritizing money for infrastructure, than at least something good will come out of the tragedy.

Like kap, though, I have my doubts that priorities will change. Already here in Minne, Dems are taking shots at Reps and vice versa. It's disgusting, frankly.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
If this leads to prioritizing money for infrastructure, than at least something good will come out of the tragedy.

Like kap, though, I have my doubts that priorities will change. Already here in Minne, Dems are taking shots at Reps and vice versa. It's disgusting, frankly.

I say a lot of hyperbolic things on purpose around here, because most of what's spouted by my so-called counter opinions are pretty hyperbolic as well, only most of those folks don't see it that way.

In this case, it makes me SICK when people politicize something like this. What the hell is wrong with you people (you people being the politicians)? It's a problem, it was before 6:00 last night, and now it's a bigger problem. Stop blaming people, fix it, and let's move on.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 02:55 PM)
I say a lot of hyperbolic things on purpose around here, because most of what's spouted by my so-called counter opinions are pretty hyperbolic as well, only most of those folks don't see it that way.

In this case, it makes me SICK when people politicize something like this. What the hell is wrong with you people (you people being the politicians)? It's a problem, it was before 6:00 last night, and now it's a bigger problem. Stop blaming people, fix it, and let's move on.

The big problem is that fixing it, especially fixing things like this before they become disasters, often involves spending money, and a lot of money at that. And lately, the "No new taxes" message has gone over a lot more effectively than the "We need to raise taxes before our country falls apart" message.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 09:57 PM)
The big problem is that fixing it, especially fixing things like this before they become disasters, often involves spending money, and a lot of money at that. And lately, the "No new taxes" message has gone over a lot more effectively than the "We need to raise taxes before our country falls apart" message.

Balta, no... no no no no...

We have more $$ in the treasury then ever before. It's just that the politicians in Washington want to spend it on everything besides what we really need it for.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 02:59 PM)
Balta, no... no no no no...

We have more $$ in the treasury then ever before. It's just that the politicians in Washington want to spend it on everything besides what we really need it for.

Like invading Iraq. (sorry, wrong thread, I know)