Floyd Replaces Contreras in Rotation

Heads22

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are acting as if we have anyone else in our farm system who could benefit from no-pressure major league experience. Why not Gio or anyone else in AA who is a young and rising star? Even if they get pounded, Ozzie can just say "it's spring training kid, I don't expect anything of you." There's no pressure. With Gavin Floyd, you are just wasting starts on a has-been and never-will-be again.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 10:30 AM)
someone with Floyd's tools
For crying out loud WHAT TOOLS? What am I missing? His room service, batting practice fastball? Inconsistent motion? Big "hook" of a curve? Not only that, but he exudes a lack of confidence. He really makes you think he doesn't want to be on the mound, once he gives up his first hard hit ball. It doesn't even have to be a hit. If the Sox weren't in such desparate shape, he'd have had his ticket punched a long time ago.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
For crying out loud WHAT TOOLS? What am I missing? His room service, batting practice fastball? Inconsistent motion? Big "hook" of a curve? Not only that, but he exudes a lack of confidence. He really makes you think he doesn't want to be on the mound, once he gives up his first hard hit ball. It doesn't even have to be a hit. If the Sox weren't in such desparate shape, he'd have had his ticket punched a long time ago.

I agree, Floyd has shown me no promise. This guy will not make it in the big leagues.. Honestly i would give him one more start to see what he can do... he has proven to be a great batting practice pitcher and that is all.

Why not just start Massett? At least he thrown 1 good game starting this year vs the Cubs earlier in the season.

I don't know why people think the Sox future is so dire. They have Buerhle, Garland, Danks is one of the greatest, Vazquez is as good as it gets. Jenks is the best closer in the league. Bullpen performance varies year to year so the same guys will be awesome next year. All Gavin Floyd needs is a chance. Josh Fields is so awesome, Crede needs to be non-tendered. Richar is on his way to Cooperstown. Really, KW has very little work to do in the offseason.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)
Because Floyd has zero percent chance to succeed at this point.

The other players can be groomed to be successful. Floyd is done.

What is it exactly that you're basing this on? Those are just ridiculous statements to make. Floyd has not pitched well at all since being called up, but he's made two starts this year; one against a red-hot Twins team that tore apart our whole pitching staff, and one against the Tigers, who are arguably the best team in baseball, in a game that we actually came back to win.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 12:05 PM)
What is it exactly that you're basing this on? Those are just ridiculous statements to make. Floyd has not pitched well at all since being called up, but he's made two starts this year; one against a red-hot Twins team that tore apart our whole pitching staff, and one against the Tigers, who are arguably the best team in baseball, in a game that we actually came back to win.

I was basing it on the last 20 starts or so of his major league career.

So you are saying he can't pitch against teams the Sox will play 38 times a season. That's scary. What about Gavin's failures before 2007? BTW the only reason the Sox won that game was because Floyd was out of the game. The beleaguered bullpen was able to shut them down, but Gavin had the excuse of pitching against a great team.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 12:08 PM)
So you are saying he can't pitch against teams the Sox will play 38 times a season. That's scary. What about Gavin's failures before 2007? BTW the only reason the Sox won that game was because Floyd was out of the game. The beleaguered bullpen was able to shut them down, but Gavin had the excuse of pitching against a great team.

The Tigers are a great team. They average more runs per game than any other team in baseball. Our bullpen was awesome that game, so I give them a lot of credit for a great performance.

I'm not saying Floyd can't pitch against the Tigers, Twins, or Yankees, but there are a heck of a lot of pitchers who lose to those teams. Those line-ups can make a lot of pitchers look bad.

I have no idea if Floyd will pan out or not, but I don't think it's the worst idea in the world to let the kid start a few games. Some of the posters on here are acting like starting Gavin is going to cost the Sox a spot in the post-season. It's not! We're in LAST PLACE. Nothing bad can come of this. Worst case scenario is that he continues to suck, we lose a few more games, and we realize that he can't be a major league pitcher. Even Danny Wright had more than two starts with the Sox didn't he?

100+ innings of sucking at MLB-level baseball?

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 01:07 PM)
But because Haeger and Sisqo haven't yet pitched 100 innings at the major league level they can still be groomed into great pitchers. Gotcha. Now you make sense.

No, Gavin's UNPRECEDENTED level of suckitude at the major league level means he CANNOT be groomed into anything but a bust. Anyone else has potential. Floyd obviously does not.

Edited by Hideaway Lights

Im sure I could find some one to dispell the 100 ip thing, but right now Sergio Mitre who had eras of 6.6, 5.3, and 5.7 is off the top of my head. Carmona had a 5.4 era last year, Jeff Francis had a 5.8 era in his first season. Kazmir had a 5.67 in his first 30 ip.

Not that any of these guys will be All-Star Aces, but at the same time I think that it shows many pitchers take time to develop at the MLB level.

Garland had an era of 6.46 in his first 70 ip.

Unprecedented is the hyperbole of the week.

(Edit)

In 2000 Roy halladay had an era of 10+

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
Im sure I could find some one to dispell the 100 ip thing, but right now Sergio Mitre who had eras of 6.6, 5.3, and 5.7 is off the top of my head. Carmona had a 5.4 era last year, Jeff Francis had a 5.8 era in his first season. Kazmir had a 5.67 in his first 30 ip.

Not that any of these guys will be All-Star Aces, but at the same time I think that it shows many pitchers take time to develop at the MLB level.

(Edit)

UNPRECEDENTED I tell you. UNPRECEDENTED.

And that trade with Philly still turns out, at this point, to work well for the Sox. Floyd and Garcia might be a wash right now, but Gio is the difference. We'll see in a couple years, but unless Garcia magically pulls his 95 mph fastball back out of the depths and Gio and Floyd both bust, I'd say the Sox made out on the deal.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 08:13 AM)
Funny how Floyd needs the opportunity but Haeger, who has AAA Charlotte 2006 numbers about the same as Floyd's 2007 AAA numbers and who has better major league numbers than Floyd, "is what he is." That's more than a little hypocritical. Floyd blew with Philadelphia, went back to AAA and struggled worse than Haeger struggled in AAA this season. Using your logic, Floyd should have been selling cars by now. (Although I do agree he should be selling cars).

I said Haeger was a knuckleball pitcher whose knuckleball isn't knuckling right now on a team without a catcher who can catch it. There's a difference between the two: Haeger has 1 pitch. A knuckleball. Which isn't dancing right now, and on the few occasions that it does, he cannot make it appear as though it is a strike. If that pitch does not work, he has absolutely no chance of being successful. He is worthless. At least Gavin Floyd has the physical capabilities to actually have success at this level. Granted, he has not. But he's pitched FOURTEEN innings for this organization. There is not even an argument. None. Whatsoever. He's going to get his chance, it's the only prudent course of action. You don't trade for a guy and then not ever give him his chance. There's just no logic to it whatsoever.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
I said Haeger was a knuckleball pitcher whose knuckleball isn't knuckling right now on a team without a catcher who can catch it. There's a difference between the two: Haeger has 1 pitch. A knuckleball. Which isn't dancing right now, and on the few occasions that it does, he cannot make it appear as though it is a strike. If that pitch does not work, he has absolutely no chance of being successful. He is worthless. At least Gavin Floyd has the physical capabilities to actually have success at this level. Granted, he has not. But he's pitched FOURTEEN innings for this organization. There is not even an argument. None. Whatsoever. He's going to get his chance, it's the only prudent course of action. You don't trade for a guy and then not ever give him his chance. There's just no logic to it whatsoever.

You said Haeger is what he is. This last post seems to be backing off it. 14 worthless innings for this organization and 111 for the team that drafted him 4th overall, gave him a big bonus and spent money developing him. They saw enough, and if KW hadn't got him in a trade for a big name, 14 innings would be more than enough for him. If the Cubs were floundering like the Sox right now and they had Floyd in the exact same scenerio, everyone here would be laughing wondering what they were thinking.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)

(Edit)

Over how many innings for Halladay? Not 100. Was it his first 100 innings? No. It's not comparable. Please, let's compare apples to apples.

Over 7 ERA. Not over 5, not over 6. Over 7, over that player's first 100+ innings. Find an example.

The point is that Gavin Floyd has been given an unprecedented shot here, and I think I'm correct.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
You said Haeger is what he is. This last post seems to be backing off it.

No, you coincidentally ommitted what I stated in the post you quoted. And I repeated it in my response. What's the damn difference? It's a matter of semantics. He is what he is. He's a guy who can't throw THE ONLY PITCH HE HAS. How can he possibly succeed without ANY pitches? He is a failed minor league pitcher who is resorting to a junk pitch THAT HE CANNOT EVEN THROW right now. How more simple could it be? At least with Floyd, there is the spector that he might have a chance, because he is physically capable of throwing pitches that major league hitters could miss. May as well give him the chance to do it. It's absolutely irresponsible to not give him, de minimis, 6 more starts. There is no downside whatsoever.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)
Over how many innings for Halladay? Not 100. Was it his first 100 innings? No. It's not comparable. Please, let's compare apples to apples.

Over 7 ERA. Not over 5, not over 6. Over 7, over that player's first 100+ innings. Find an example.

The point is that Gavin Floyd has been given an unprecedented shot here, and I think I'm correct.

What's the damn difference between an ERA over 6 and an ERA over 7?