Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As pissed as I was to find out Michigan lost, can't be too surprised. Michigan NEVER comes out and blows out the team in Week 1. Carr can't prepare a team after a long time off or to start the season. Hope this is the nail in his coffin.

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 07:26 PM)
As pissed as I was to find out Michigan lost, can't be too surprised. Michigan NEVER comes out and blows out the team in Week 1. Carr can't prepare a team after a long time off or to start the season. Hope this is the nail in his coffin.

They just play down to their competition too much. They almost lost to Ball St. last year, and only beat San Diego St. by 3 in 2004. Carr should be fired right now, but I'd say he's gone after the season unless he beats OSU and wins a BCS game.

Christensen is awful, the Iowa WR's are more awful, but their TE's, OL, and entire defense are all really good. Should be a pretty good team, but I thought we played pretty well on defense, we should be fine in the MAC. And damn, I thought Illinois was going to pull it out, but they should be pretty good in the long term. And it was about 2/3 Iowa fans today at Soldier Field, but they were so drunk and tired from the Cubs game the day before that they weren't very loud.

At least I'm not a Michigan fan though, maybe they will finally fire that idiot Carr.

QUOTE(knightni @ Sep 2, 2007 -> 12:42 AM)
If the system is so successful, why don't more teams use it?

Hawaii isn't good enough to bring in top end recruits for the defense and other offensive positions.. basically the only chance they have at being competitive is with this system and a decent QB.. except Colt is awesome.. This is how it is with most teams who run this type of system (Texas Tech, Houston, even Baylor has started using it.)

Its a good system for scoring points, but if you have a well balanced team you are probably better off running a more conventional offense..

I think its an awesome system and its obviously a successful system if you have a decent offense at best but the only explanation I can see is if you have the resources to put a balanced offense out there you are probably better off doing just that..

The Indiana-Indiana State was a fun time tonight. The Lewis-Hardy connection worked twice for TDs on the first play of a series, and the second was a sweet catch, as the defender completely interfered with Hardy but he still recovered and made the grab and ran it in.

I realize ISU is a pretty crappy team, but it was still a fun game to watch. One of things that worried me, though, is that our two best starting field positions (20 or 25 off of a fumble and 17 off of a terrible punt) yielded only a field goal each. Come on, you can't move the ball 17 yards for a TD against a team that has won something like 2 out of their last 30 games? Also, there were a lot of fumbles, though they recovered most of them.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 02:21 PM)
Time for the customary Iowa trying to coast after getting a lead.

Good defensive play and an awesome rushing attack. Would have liked better play out of the QB Christensen but at least no turnovers by him...plus it was a nice win (really it was like a home game for iowa and they made over 1 million bucks for the school on the game).

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
The entire city is filled with iowa fans.

Ya...it shouldn't be a shocker, Iowa travels amazingly well. I still remember someone on here saying it would only be 60/40 (not you rock) but I'd say 80/20 though (based on crowd noise and what my cousin who was at the game mentioned to me).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
Christensen is awful, the Iowa WR's are more awful, but their TE's, OL, and entire defense are all really good. Should be a pretty good team, but I thought we played pretty well on defense, we should be fine in the MAC. And damn, I thought Illinois was going to pull it out, but they should be pretty good in the long term. And it was about 2/3 Iowa fans today at Soldier Field, but they were so drunk and tired from the Cubs game the day before that they weren't very loud.

At least I'm not a Michigan fan though, maybe they will finally fire that idiot Carr.

Thats cause half of our WR's weren't active and are waiting word from the judge.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 01:27 AM)
I think the crowd will be about 75% Iowa fans fwiw.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 2, 2007 -> 02:26 AM)
Ya...it shouldn't be a shocker, Iowa travels amazingly well. I still remember someone on here saying it would only be 60/40 (not you rock) but I'd say 80/20 though (based on crowd noise and what my cousin who was at the game mentioned to me).

BTW Jason, our Irish are going to have a really, really, really long year. Don't know if you saw any of the game.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 2, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
BTW Jason, our Irish are going to have a really, really, really long year. Don't know if you saw any of the game.

GT could have won that game by 50 if they didn't blow some easy TD chances and kept their starters in all game. Jones at QB looked like an intramural game where you put in a fast guy and tell him to run around.

QUOTE(knightni @ Sep 2, 2007 -> 12:42 AM)
If the system is so successful, why don't more teams use it?

Just about half the country uses some variation of the spread offense now, which is essentially derived from the run-and-shoot. Teams like Texas Tech, Northwestern, and Purdue have been using it for some time, and several others like Florida and Texas have started using it pretty heavily recently. Plus just about every team out there will occasionally use some of the principles. The difference is that a lot of teams run the ball out of it a lot more often than Hawaii and Texas Tech do.

As for those that don't, as Tru said, a lot of these teams have more dominant linemen and running backs as well as stronger defenses, so it doesn't make as much sense for them to spread the ball around and sling it with regularity. If you can keep the ball on the ground and still move the sticks while keeping your opponents off the scoreboard you don't need to take as many risks in the passing game.