Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
1 of West Virginia/Louisville could run the table as well. Neither team has much of a defense, but they could outscore their opponents until they meet up.

I see that being a lot like last year, where it comes down to those 2 and Rutgers and no one comes out of the round-robin unscathed. South Florida is a potential pitfall too, as they've already taken down Auburn and do have some talent.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 08:38 PM)
I think college football may turn out like this, in no particular order:

USC

LSU

Okla

l

l

l

l

l

l

l

l

Everyone else.....

Notre Dame (LOL)

Updated it with ND in the equation (although I'm excited to watch Claussen develop...I think this year will be much like Quinn's freshman year).

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 07:08 AM)
They aren't his players.

Maybe McCarney was a lot better than everyone thought. He had ISU playing pretty well considering the history of the program before he got there.

Still, ISU is going to be desperate when they play Iowa so anything can happen. I hope Iowa will be able to improve to 3-0. I'm really excited based on Christensen's improvement, a very strong defense, and what I think is a good rushing tandum (Simms/Young).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
Maybe McCarney was a lot better than everyone thought. He had ISU playing pretty well considering the history of the program before he got there.

Still, ISU is going to be desperate when they play Iowa so anything can happen. I hope Iowa will be able to improve to 3-0. I'm really excited based on Christensen's improvement, a very strong defense, and what I think is a good rushing tandum (Simms/Young).

McCarney wasn't going to take the program any further than it was. His staff had grown complacent and he had the option of saving his job if he cleared out some of his staff. He chose to resign.

BTW, word is Iowa wants out of the ISU game after 2010. ISU contends that they are set up through 2020.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 06:40 AM)
McCarney wasn't going to take the program any further than it was. His staff had grown complacent and he had the option of saving his job if he cleared out some of his staff. He chose to resign.

BTW, word is Iowa wants out of the ISU game after 2010. ISU contends that they are set up through 2020.

Why does Iowa want out? I assume they want to schedule another game that would allow them to make more money.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
Why does Iowa want out? I assume they want to schedule another game that would allow them to make more money.

That seems unlikely - the intrastate games like that, the rivalry, they get sellout crowds, big TV money, and the host town gets a ton of business. Any other non-conference game they add is unlikely to draw as well.

I honestly can't figure out their motivation, unless they think ISU won't be competitive. It was only a few years ago, though, that ISU had beaten Iowa a number of times in a row. So I really just don't get it.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
That seems unlikely - the intrastate games like that, the rivalry, they get sellout crowds, big TV money, and the host town gets a ton of business. Any other non-conference game they add is unlikely to draw as well.

I honestly can't figure out their motivation, unless they think ISU won't be competitive. It was only a few years ago, though, that ISU had beaten Iowa a number of times in a row. So I really just don't get it.

Well I know Iowa's biggest grossing non-conference game this year was the NIU game so I'm thinking they may think they can find another game like that. Personally I want to play ISU because its an in-state rivalry.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
Well I know Iowa's biggest grossing non-conference game this year was the NIU game so I'm thinking they may think they can find another game like that. Personally I want to play ISU because its an in-state rivalry.

NIU? They were on the road for that game. And they've only played 2 games thus far - ISU game is this Saturday. Just curious, what measure was used for "grossing"?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
NIU? They were on the road for that game. And they've only played 2 games thus far - ISU game is this Saturday. Just curious, what measure was used for "grossing"?

I don't know what Jason means... But NIU could have hosted the game in Dekalb, and have less than 30K in attendance, or they could play that game in Soldier Field and sell out 61K at $50 a pop. I'm sure they split that with Iowa.

Here's the article talking about the schools....

Iowa, ISU at odds over deal

By Scott Dochterman

[email protected]

AMES - Iowa and Iowa State universities have a serious disagreement over their football contract, one that could have long-term or potentially legal ramifications.

It also could affect the state's football rivalry past 2010.

University representatives have differing contract completion dates. Iowa maintains the current contract expires following the 2010 game, while Iowa State has placed Iowa on its football schedule through 2020.

Iowa State Athletics Director Jamie Pollard said his predecessor, Bruce Van De Velde, reached an agreement with former Iowa athletics director Bob Bowlsby to continue the game through 2020.

``I have correspondence here that shows Bob agreed to extend,'' Pollard said Monday. ``As a matter of fact, they've selected the dates already. They agreed to extend it just using the current contract.''

Iowa, however, considers the contract completed in 2010.

``There was correspondence back between myself and Bruce Van De Velde in 2005, but we didn't come to any agreements,'' said Mark Abbott, assistant to Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta.

``As far as we're concerned (the contract expires after the 2010 game).''

Van De Velde left Iowa State in 2005, while Bowlsby left Iowa in 2006.

Abbott said he's unsure if Iowa officials have met to discuss renegotiating the contract. The current deal allows the visiting team to take 20 percent of the home gate after state taxes, according to the contract supplied to The Gazette by the University of Iowa.

The current contract favors Iowa State, if only because Iowa has almost 15,000 more seats at Kinnick Stadium. Following the 2004 game, Iowa State took home $583,935. After last year's game, Iowa paid Iowa State $593,103. Both of those games were played in Iowa City.

ISU paid Iowa $386,914.17 after the 2005 game in Ames.

Some Iowa officials, anonymously, have expressed concern about the benefits of playing Iowa State. Along with the gate disparity, some have complained about Iowa State charging Iowa fans $90 per ticket for this game. That's higher than nearly every other college football game.

I'm not sure why Iowa is so hesitant towards a deal extension, but I really doubt if either side backs out.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)
Here's the article talking about the schools....

I'm not sure why Iowa is so hesitant towards a deal extension, but I really doubt if either side backs out.

You can never trust a guy name Van De Velde. They're always dragging things out much longer than they need to be. ;)

To tell you the truth, I'd rather they dropped Iowa State, and picked up a revolving date with some Big 12 schools. Missouri left them in the lurch last season. (I think to get Illinois on their schedule) But I'd like to see them play a home and home with Colorado, Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, A&M, and maybe even Kansas before I'd like to see them play Iowa State again.

On another note. I'd love to see the Big Ten and Big 12 take the weekend before the NFL season starts and play a couple of "neutral site" games in the heart of Big 10 and Big 12 country. There's a bajillion issues preventing it from happening, but I'd love to see 2-3 games go off in one weekend that pitted real football teams from real football conferences against each other.

They could even do it the final week before the conference schedule opened up if they played at some of the indoor facilities like Ford, HHH, and Reliant. It'd even be good if they could do it with the SEC, add in the Georgia and Super Domes, though I'd rather see B10/B12.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)
You can never trust a guy name Van De Velde. They're always dragging things out much longer than they need to be. ;)

To tell you the truth, I'd rather they dropped Iowa State, and picked up a revolving date with some Big 12 schools. Missouri left them in the lurch last season. (I think to get Illinois on their schedule) But I'd like to see them play a home and home with Colorado, Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, A&M, and maybe even Kansas before I'd like to see them play Iowa State again.

On another note. I'd love to see the Big Ten and Big 12 take the weekend before the NFL season starts and play a couple of "neutral site" games in the heart of Big 10 and Big 12 country. There's a bajillion issues preventing it from happening, but I'd love to see 2-3 games go off in one weekend that pitted real football teams from real football conferences against each other.

They could even do it the final week before the conference schedule opened up if they played at some of the indoor facilities like Ford, HHH, and Reliant. It'd even be good if they could do it with the SEC, add in the Georgia and Super Domes, though I'd rather see B10/B12.

Yeah, it wouldn't kill me if they axed the rivalry either. ISU-Minnesota would be a series I would love to see.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 02:01 PM)
I don't know what Jason means... But NIU could have hosted the game in Dekalb, and have less than 30K in attendance, or they could play that game in Soldier Field and sell out 61K at $50 a pop. I'm sure they split that with Iowa.

I was reading an article saying the game was going to be Iowa's 2nd largest grossing non-bowl game ever (in terms of money and I think it was Northern Illinois' largest grossing game).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
I would hate for them to cancel the Iowa-ISU game, just as I would any good rivalry games like that. They are always a huge fan draw, and help both programs draw more interest. Besides, I doubt they drop it.

There's just something odd about this rivalry.

From a list I am on.

In case you didn't know, Tebow is the Quarterback for the Florida Gators.

From everything I've read about him, he is an exceptional young man.

How many speaking engagements did you have this summer?

I had a lot of different things with baccalaureates, I did two of those.

I did a few different other events with Eagle Scout ceremonies,

different football camps and (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) events.

Different times visiting hospitals and visiting people in critical

condition. Just different events like that. I try, and you get a lot of

requests for it. As much as you try, you can't do all of them. You can't

do hardly any of them because you're so busy with everything. But you

try and the ones you feel led to do, you do. Anytime there's an

opportunity and it feels like its worth it we're going to try and go out

and do it. We did some elementary schools as well. Different things like

that.