Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Shadows @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 03:12 PM)
Thats nice to see everyone thinks Mendenhall is the front runner for the Heisman thus far

I don't think anybody thinks that, it's just I think a lot of people *raises hand* think that he's the best tailback in the Big 10 RIGHT NOW. He doesn't have the credentials of a Mike Hart or P.J. Hill, but right now he's the best back in the Big 10.

And to me, Illinois is not that hard to figure out, looking at their schedule. You would think they'll for sure beat Ball State and Northwestern and home, and win at Minnesota which gets you to 8-1. At Ohio State to me is a loss so that's 8-2. And then for some reason, I am worried about the Iowa game this weekend. I am just going to say they'll split between at Iowa and vs. Michigan, but I'm not sure which they will lose. That gets you to 9-3, and to me the worst case senario for Illinois is 8-4, which would still be a great season IMO. I'd prefer the best case senario of 10-2 though. :headbang

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 08:58 AM)
I don't think anybody thinks that, it's just I think a lot of people *raises hand* think that he's the best tailback in the Big 10 RIGHT NOW. He doesn't have the credentials of a Mike Hart or P.J. Hill, but right now he's the best back in the Big 10.

And to me, Illinois is not that hard to figure out, looking at their schedule. You would think they'll for sure beat Ball State and Northwestern and home, and win at Minnesota which gets you to 8-1. At Ohio State to me is a loss so that's 8-2. And then for some reason, I am worried about the Iowa game this weekend. I am just going to say they'll split between at Iowa and vs. Michigan, but I'm not sure which they will lose. That gets you to 9-3, and to me the worst case senario for Illinois is 8-4, which would still be a great season IMO. I'd prefer the best case senario of 10-2 though. :headbang

I'm not sure you realize just how bad Iowa is.

They lost to Iowa State for God's sakes.

Pat Forde

Half-Year Heisman

1. Tim Tebow, Florida. He's putting up Vince Young numbers: third in the nation in pass efficiency and halfway to a 1,000-yard rushing season. Nobody is harder to defend, and nobody is more central to his team's success. When Tebow stopped running the ball against LSU -- by design or by physical wear and tear -- the Gators stopped scoring.

2. Chase Daniel, Missouri. Third nationally in total offense and the unquestioned leader of a dynamic Tigers attack. He's probably not his listed height of 6 feet, but he's XXL in terms of smarts and toughness. And if Mizzou beats Oklahoma Saturday in Norman, there might be a change atop the leaderboard.

3. Your Name Here. This remains a w-i-d-e open race. Plenty of time for DeSean Jackson, Glenn Dorsey, Michael Crabtree, Darren McFadden, Mike Hart, P.J. Hill, Matt Ryan, Colt Brennan, Sam Bradford, Dennis Dixon or someone else to swoop in and steal the stiff-armer.

1	LSU (60)	 25.0	 0.2	 --2	California (3)	 23.7	 0.8	 3	Ohio State	 23.0	 1.0	 4	Boston College	 21.1	 1.3	 5	South Florida	 20.2	 2.4	 6	Oklahoma	 18.0	 2.9	 7	South Carolina	 17.9	 2.4	 8	Missouri	 17.2	 3.2	 9	Oregon	         17.1	 3.0	 10	Cincinnati	 14.0	 4.1	 11	Arizona State	 13.8	 4.1	 12	West Virginia	 13.1	 3.1	 13	Southern Cal	 12.5	 4.8	 14	Florida	         12.0	 5.5	 15	Virginia Tech	 10.4	 5.1	 16	Illinois	 10.1	 3.4	 17	Kentucky	 9.5	 3.8	 18	Kansas	         7.9	 4.1	 19	Hawaii	         6.9	 5.5	 20	Wisconsin	 6.3	 3.7	 21	Florida State	 6.3	 3.3	 22	Auburn	         4.8	 3.8	 23	Texas	         2.2	 2.8	 24	Tennessee	 1.5	 2.2	 25	Purdue	         1.5	 2.3	 Also Receiving Votes: Georgia(1.3), Virginia(1.3), Connecticut(1.1), Indiana(1.0), Colorado(1.0), Texas A&M(0.8), Michigan(0.5), Boise State(0.4), 
Rutgers(0.4), Texas Tech(0.4), Kansas State(0.2), Maryland(0.2), Arkansas(0.2), Clemson(0.1), Penn State(0.1), Wyoming(0.1), Stanford(0.0),
Alabama(0.0), Troy State(0.0).

Total Ballots:63

Colt Brennan does not belong on the list anymore after the Idaho game.

"By the end of the season, Brennan will most likely lead the country in passing. He's an outstanding player, and if Hawaii finishes the season undefeated, the Warriors could be competing for a BCS bowl bid. Brennan's five interceptions against Idaho didn't help his cause, nor did his injury against Utah State on Saturday. "

There is no chance in hell Brennan can make up the nearly 900 yard lead Graham Harrell has on him in half a season.

Michael Crabtree also has to at least get a mention. He's on pace to shatter national records for catches, receiving yards, and TD's. He already holds most of the freshman national records with 70 catches and 1,074 yards receiving and 17 TD's in half a season. He's a freak of nature.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 10:56 PM)
Oh God, I accidentally watched sportscenter after the game and caught Poetry Corner with Stuart Scott.

All I can say is, are you serious?

I wasn't paying attention to the TV, saw Scott and turned it to something less annoying, 4 catty ass whores on MTV

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

Rumor has it college gameday has contacted Illinois officials about possibly coming down for college gameday next week vs Michigan. I'm not banking Iowa as a win, just thought the mention of this even possibly happening is really cool. There aren't a ton of good games next week, and it is one of the Saturday night games. We'll see what happens.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 05:44 AM)
Rumor has it college gameday has contacted Illinois officials about possibly coming down for college gameday next week vs Michigan. I'm not banking Iowa as a win, just thought the mention of this even possibly happening is really cool. There aren't a ton of good games next week, and it is one of the Saturday night games. We'll see what happens.

Aren't they on ABC too? So ESPN will probably make every effort to get it there.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 11:44 PM)

No way. I was actually debating rolling down there for that game.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 09:44 PM)

Iowa will pull the upset. Our defense will do a good job against the run and Christensen is actually gonna have a good game. And yes, this is me getting all dreamy cause I always predict wins over the Illini.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
Iowa will pull the upset. Our defense will do a good job against the run and Christensen is actually gonna have a good game. And yes, this is me getting all dreamy cause I always predict wins over the Illini.

It wouldn't surprise me. Who has the Illini beat on the road? Syracuse? Besides one win over an incredibly overrated Louisville team, they aren't much to write home about. If this game were in Champaign, I would choose the Illini, but since it's in the IC, it's gonna be tough. REAL tough.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
It wouldn't surprise me. Who has the Illini beat on the road? Syracuse? Besides one win over an incredibly overrated Louisville team, they aren't much to write home about. If this game were in Champaign, I would choose the Illini, but since it's in the IC, it's gonna be tough. REAL tough.

Have you seen Iowa play this year? They are terrible.. I would be very surprised if Illinois lost this game. They just need to feed Mendenhall the ball and I don't think theyll have a problem

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)

Umm they did win at Indiana, who is 5-1 and unlike Iowa, is actually good and going to a bowl. It's always tough at the IC, but the Hawkeyes couldn't score if they were Hugh Hefner at the Playboy Mansion right now, so unless Illinois doo doo's their pants, they'll win.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)

No disrespect to any Illini fans here, but I hope Iowa does win because I have a few friends who went to Illinois who are impossible to deal with right now. If Illinois beats Michigan, I'm in for a long week after.

QUOTE(Brian @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
No disrespect to any Illini fans here, but I hope Iowa does win because I have a few friends who went to Illinois who are impossible to deal with right now. If Illinois beats Michigan, I'm in for a long week after.

Any Illini fan that would talk smack after beating Iowa simply does't get it. That Michigan game is huge though, Illinois' offense matches up very well against the Michigan defense and it's in C/U. If Illinois wins their next 2 games, a 10-2 season is a very real possibility.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 06:12 PM)

i agree with you, but i'm not sure if it's because it's true or if i still can't comprehend that illinois would be expected to beat anybody on the road, let alone a team that is consistently in bowl games.

one thing that makes me feel better is i know the team has been on a professed "revenge" tour, and iowa has put some serious ssa-kickings on us the past few years. i think at the least they'll be ready to play.

No disrespect to any Illini fans here, but I hope Iowa does win because I have a few friends who went to Illinois who are impossible to deal with right now. When Illinois beats Michigan, I'm in for a long week after.

Fixed it for ya partna :D

come on, we've been the bottom feeder of the big ten for 6 seasons. We're allowed to swim in euphoria and be annoying. I think we've earned it.