Official College Football Thread

Harrell must have nightmares about Mizzou's defense. That's 2 years in a row.

Yeah, he's also having nightmares about his receivers dropping passes all over the field. Receivers caused two of the INT's by themselves, including Crabtree just quitting on a route and dropping 3 passes. Every year Tech goes on the road in a hostile environment and just lays an absolute egg. With that said, there's not a better team in the Big 12 than Missou.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ugh, upsetting night last night. Illinois lost the game more than Michigan won it - stupid penalties (and a few questionable calls IMO) and of course the unexcusable drop by Hudson on the punt. They also failed to get the ball to Mendenhall and Benn. Overall I thought the defense played really well - essentially limiting Michigan to only one, maybe two good drives the whole game. But really the game should have been put away before that. Up 14-3 the offense stalled (suprise). I think the Juice Williams experiment is over. Not only can he not pass to wide open recievers (save the TD pass), you can tell he doesn't know WR routes or defensive coverages. He's the Sexy Rexy of college football - if his first receiver isn't open he's screwed. Whats worse is that this lack of football IQ could be excusable because he is so young, but he's shown zero improvement over the course of the season. I think Zook needs to make a choice to stick with Juice for the rest of the year, regardless of the record, and see if he can improve going into next season, or you give the ball to McGee and see how much he can progress.

For the season I'm still happy, but admittedly after the Wisky and Penn St games I thought Illinois had a chance to contend for the Big Ten title. It's pretty clear that the offense is not good enough. We'll win the next two games, lose at Ohio state, and then have a decent matchup with Northwestern. That'll put us at 8-4, or 7-5 at worst - considering we've won 4 games the last two years, I'd say that's a pretty succesfuly season. Hopefully Zook can bring in some more talent (defensive secondary and WR's for sure) and with another year of experience we can make some noise the next couple of years.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
Ugh, upsetting night last night. Illinois lost the game more than Michigan won it - stupid penalties (and a few questionable calls IMO) and of course the unexcusable drop by Hudson on the punt. They also failed to get the ball to Mendenhall and Benn. Overall I thought the defense played really well - essentially limiting Michigan to only one, maybe two good drives the whole game. But really the game should have been put away before that. Up 14-3 the offense stalled (suprise). I think the Juice Williams experiment is over. Not only can he not pass to wide open recievers (save the TD pass), you can tell he doesn't know WR routes or defensive coverages. He's the Sexy Rexy of college football - if his first receiver isn't open he's screwed. Whats worse is that this lack of football IQ could be excusable because he is so young, but he's shown zero improvement over the course of the season. I think Zook needs to make a choice to stick with Juice for the rest of the year, regardless of the record, and see if he can improve going into next season, or you give the ball to McGee and see how much he can progress.

For the season I'm still happy, but admittedly after the Wisky and Penn St games I thought Illinois had a chance to contend for the Big Ten title. It's pretty clear that the offense is not good enough. We'll win the next two games, lose at Ohio state, and then have a decent matchup with Northwestern. That'll put us at 8-4, or 7-5 at worst - considering we've won 4 games the last two years, I'd say that's a pretty succesfuly season. Hopefully Zook can bring in some more talent (defensive secondary and WR's for sure) and with another year of experience we can make some noise the next couple of years.

Just out of curiosity, which calls did you think were questionable?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 21, 2007 -> 04:37 PM)
Just out of curiosity, which calls did you think were questionable?

In terms of officiating this wasn't the Anthony Thomas two bogus fumble calls that literally gave the win to Michigan to the point it looked downright fishy type game. But there were a few I thought were questionable.

The roughing the punter should have been the 5 yard variety. And I think the pass interference penalty a few plays later was bogus. If they start calling that regularly, every coach across the country should tell their qb's to throw the ball 10 yards short of their receivers anytime you get a one on one matchup on the outside. It wasn't a catchable ball and the refs shouldn't have bailed out the qb by calling interference just because he wasn't facing the ball.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
In terms of officiating this wasn't the Anthony Thomas two bogus fumble calls that literally gave the win to Michigan to the point it looked downright fishy type game. But there were a few I thought were questionable.

The roughing the punter should have been the 5 yard variety. And I think the pass interference penalty a few plays later was bogus. If they start calling that regularly, every coach across the country should tell their qb's to throw the ball 10 yards short of their receivers anytime you get a one on one matchup on the outside. It wasn't a catchable ball and the refs shouldn't have bailed out the qb by calling interference just because he wasn't facing the ball.

He went underneath the punters leg, that will always be that call. And illinois was all over the Michigan receivers especially on that drive.

you can make a lot of excuses but illinois just made too many mistakes to win a game against a good team. man for man, the wolverines are more talented, so you have to play a pretty sound game to win. the illini didn't.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
Krush wasn't the idiot with the stupid hat, was he?

:lol:

:stick

Anyways, doctor summed it up perferctly. Illinois didn't make enough plays (or made too many dumb ones) to beat a more talented Michigan team. We're one dimensional on offense and that doesn't look to be changing. McGee should play every snap, just my opinion. We have zero passing game with Juice, none. And Locksley calls plays based on the fact that he can't throw a 15 yard pass, ever.

OSU will beat us up pretty well, but we should be able to win the other 3 games. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad football team, but if we had an average big ten qb, this team would be up another level.

This game isn't that disappointing because most of the wind was taken out of our sails with the Iowa game. That's the game you shouldn't have lost, this one I knew we could win but didn't think or expect to win.

An 8-4 year with a bowl game would look pretty nice, hopefully we can get there.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 21, 2007 -> 06:21 PM)
I swear there has never been an Illinois thread without people complaining about officiating.

Bah.

I'm pretty sure in the "How to be a Fan" manual there's a requirement that a fan of any team in whatever sport is required to question or argue about the officiating after a loss.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 21, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
Yeah, he's also having nightmares about his receivers dropping passes all over the field. Receivers caused two of the INT's by themselves, including Crabtree just quitting on a route and dropping 3 passes. Every year Tech goes on the road in a hostile environment and just lays an absolute egg. With that said, there's not a better team in the Big 12 than Missou.

well...oklahoma.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 02:01 PM)
Not really, Missou had a lead on Oklahoma in Norman in the 4th quarter and just couldn't put it away. Missou would beat OU in Missou or on a neutral field. Especially if Temple is back.

I agree, but Temple is no better than our other backs.

Didn't see anything on this earlier, so here goes.

The Big East is apologizing to Louisville for allowing a touchdown on a fair catch called by the UConn punt returner that was run back for a TD.

Two observations...

First, the officials in this game should never be allowed to officiate another FBS game. Failing that the Back Judge and Replay Official should be told to go work Class 1A games in Vermont. Seriously, WTF? How can everyone on the field miss that? That's got to be reversible, doesn't it?

Second, if that UConn returner is back to receive a kick for the rest of his career, he would be well advised not to call for a fair catch, especially in a blowout. If I'm on punt team, and I see this idiot wave his hane, I'm looking at a spot about seven yards behind the cheater and trying to separate his legs from his torso. I know I'll be ejected, but at least I'll have sent a little message.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 21, 2007 -> 11:32 PM)
:stick

Anyways, doctor summed it up perferctly. Illinois didn't make enough plays (or made too many dumb ones) to beat a more talented Michigan team. We're one dimensional on offense and that doesn't look to be changing. McGee should play every snap, just my opinion. We have zero passing game with Juice, none. And Locksley calls plays based on the fact that he can't throw a 15 yard pass, ever.

OSU will beat us up pretty well, but we should be able to win the other 3 games. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad football team, but if we had an average big ten qb, this team would be up another level.

This game isn't that disappointing because most of the wind was taken out of our sails with the Iowa game. That's the game you shouldn't have lost, this one I knew we could win but didn't think or expect to win.

An 8-4 year with a bowl game would look pretty nice, hopefully we can get there.

Krush, glad you weren't the idiot with the stupid hat. I figured you for more class than that, even if wasted.

Not sure if you watched the game on TV, but the reason they said Williams is still the QB instead of McGhee is that Williams runs the spread option much better. They said McGhee, while a better thrower and faster runner, doesn't execute the option like they want him to. I'd guess as that improves his chances of taking over full time will skyrocket.

I am never drunk at a sporting event I actually care about, so yeah, wasn't me whatsoever. I was up with SnB analyzing the game while stupid sorority girls talked bulls*** all around us. Ghey.

Anyways, Juice does run the option a bit better (as SnB always mentions), but McGee is the better thrower. He can run it well enough IMO, and should be in there because he has a much better arm. I guess you really have to play both of them, but McGee should get more PT than he has. If you have to cut back the option a bit and have straight handoffs to Mendenhall that's fine, he can still run well. But the lack of a realistic passing game kills this team. I've never seen anything in Juice, and I don't think I ever will. Can't we just have Bacher as our QB or something?

I think juice's ability w/ the option offense is a little more than "a bit better" than mcgee. The option is the heart of the offense. I think that if the other team can show that they know how/can defend the option, that's when you put mcgee in. But if the option is working (indiana game), you keep juice in there.

QUOTE(SnB @ Oct 23, 2007 -> 10:59 PM)
I think juice's ability w/ the option offense is a little more than "a bit better" than mcgee. The option is the heart of the offense. I think that if the other team can show that they know how/can defend the option, that's when you put mcgee in. But if the option is working (indiana game), you keep juice in there.

Oh I agree. I'm more talking about better opponents that can stop the option. By all means if you can run the option and it works and you don't need to throw, you do it. But we found out what happens when you can't run it down someone's throat.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 23, 2007 -> 11:05 PM)
Oh I agree. I'm more talking about better opponents that can stop the option. By all means if you can run the option and it works and you don't need to throw, you do it. But we found out what happens when you can't run it down someone's throat.

agreed, i just think that's the main component the coaches should be looking at when they're thinking about making the change. As soon as they realize the option can't work consistently, mcgee should be in.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)
They stress the option because they have no passing game. McGee gives them a passing game. I think the decision is pretty simple.

i'm pretty sure they stress the option game because they've been the best running team in the league for the past two years. you play to your strengths.

Really? How did that work for them in the Iowa game? Or the Michigan game? Lots of rushing yards? I'm not saying that can't be a component to the offense, but it's really not hard to understand why a bottom-feeder team can lead a conference in rushing - thats all they did to move the ball. The passing game is one of the worst (if not THE worst) in the big ten, and damn near the bottom in all of d-1a.