Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 09:16 AM)
i'm pretty sure they stress the option game because they've been the best running team in the league for the past two years. you play to your strengths.

But thats been because they cant throw and have stressed the run. If you have this "great" runner that everyone talks about he should be able to run off of any formation and scheme. IMO Ill is too talented to run the option. I leave that to teams like the service academies and alot of high school teams that need to run those plays because they are inferior talent-wise.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
Really? How did that work for them in the Iowa game? Or the Michigan game? Lots of rushing yards? I'm not saying that can't be a component to the offense, but it's really not hard to understand why a bottom-feeder team can lead a conference in rushing - thats all they did to move the ball. The passing game is one of the worst (if not THE worst) in the big ten, and damn near the bottom in all of d-1a.

well, i won't argue that i wish our passing game was improved. but considering our quarterbacks our sophomores, our tight ends our sophomores, and our best receivers are a freshman and a sophomore, i think it's to be expected that we'd struggle in that area. and sure you can cite that the running game bogged down in two games (against michigan only because it was abandoned for some odd reason), but it is also the primary reason we're in bowl contention.

this offense is not going to hang its hat on its passing game. it just isn't, whether eddie mcgee is the quarterback or not.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 09:46 AM)
Really? How did that work for them in the Iowa game? Or the Michigan game? Lots of rushing yards? I'm not saying that can't be a component to the offense, but it's really not hard to understand why a bottom-feeder team can lead a conference in rushing - thats all they did to move the ball. The passing game is one of the worst (if not THE worst) in the big ten, and damn near the bottom in all of d-1a.

Well even with the top rushing attack in the conference, they are dead last in total offense, and dead last in 3rd down conversions and 1st downs.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
But thats been because they cant throw and have stressed the run. If you have this "great" runner that everyone talks about he should be able to run off of any formation and scheme. IMO Ill is too talented to run the option. I leave that to teams like the service academies and alot of high school teams that need to run those plays because they are inferior talent-wise.

i think the idea that illinois is too talented for anything is false. yes, we have some skill players who were highly recruited, but at this point talent and production are not matching. as i mentioned, the great majority of our most talented players are young and it's going to take time for them to develop. outside of benn, who would be a consistent receiver on this team?

as to the option reference, i disagree. florida runs a version of the spread option that's pretty much the same as illinois. so does west virginia. i think if you look across the country you'll find plenty more than the service academies employing this kind of scheme. hell, in the big ten alone you have four or five teams going to this approach. and besides, the illini run almost as much straight i-formation as they do option, so i'm not sure your point about mendenhall running out of different sets is valid.

Juice didn't kick into high gear in High school until his Junior year. He's been serviceable the last two years in the passing game, this year is worse than last, but I think it's just a matter of confidence in his receiving core. They are all going to grow together, McGee included, and with that growth should come better results. I would LOVE 8-4. In fact, I would LOVE 7-5. Just the fact that this team won a couple of Big Ten games gets my teeth a-chatterin'.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 04:40 PM)
Juice didn't kick into high gear in High school until his Junior year. He's been serviceable the last two years in the passing game, this year is worse than last, but I think it's just a matter of confidence in his receiving core. They are all going to grow together, McGee included, and with that growth should come better results. I would LOVE 8-4. In fact, I would LOVE 7-5. Just the fact that this team won a couple of Big Ten games gets my teeth a-chatterin'.

i agree and disagree on juice's performance. on one hand, he's hit many fewer big plays than last year. on the other, his completion percentage is up about 15 points and he's been more efficient.

i do think your point about the receiving corps is well-taken. frankly, our receivers are not very good. we have some talent, but outside of benn who is a real big ten caliber receiver at this point? we have some guys with talent (gamble, morgan, cumberland, etc.) but they've all been inconsistent and struggled catching the ball, whether eddie or juice has been throwing the ball. i think it is going to take another year for our passing game to develop to a serviceable level, which to me makes perfect sense when you consider the key players in the passing game are all freshmen and sophmores.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 09:48 AM)

Like Florida? Nah, that wouldn't work in a big game.............

;-)

Edited by Rex Hudler

So everyone loves Matt Ryan, but does he get forgiven for still having 2 picks and a completion percentage below 50%? Overall a poor game, but everyone is raving about him. He was great at the end, but the 3 and 1/2 quarters of suckage needs to be mentioned.

Also, there's not much in life that I like less than prevent defenses. Cost teams loss after loss, and yet it's still employed. I would rather be aggressive and possibly give up a quick strike, at least you give your team a chance to respond.

Saw it with the Steelers on Sunday night as well, and it had my blood boiling.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 10:17 PM)
So everyone loves Matt Ryan, but does he get forgiven for still having 2 picks and a completion percentage below 50%? Overall a poor game, but everyone is raving about him. He was great at the end, but the 3 and 1/2 quarters of suckage needs to be mentioned.

He just kept his team alive in the NC race with two td drives where he made plays both with his arm and his feet. That deserves a wow.

Furthermore, the VT defense was in his face all night, it wasn't like he was missing receivers on every single play. The guy is still a pretty good QB. Whether or not he wins a Heisman is irrelevant in my mind...the significance of those two drives alone is just huge.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)

I think it's more about the fact that he was able to show that he can overcome having a bad game and still lead his team to victory. It was a very clutch performance by Ryan. He didn't let the previous INT's bother him that last drive. He put the team on his shoulders and won the game. That last TD pass was awesome: scrambling around and then throwing on the run across his body to the opposite corner of the endzone. He showed off some serious resolve on that last series. He wasn't going to give up until that clock hit 0:00.

Yeah, he had a bad 42 minutes, but that last 6 showed me a lot about his make-up/character. He's not the kind of player that is going to fold under pressure. As for his interceptions, they really don't bother me if he is always going to give his team a chance to win. i.e. Brett Favre...

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
Matt Ryan reminds me a lot of Ben Roethlisberger. Not sure Ryan is as strong as Ben, but there's a decent chance he's smarter.

IMO, from watching Ben's entire college career, he did more with less talent. Ryan didnt impress me until the last few min of the game.

You heard it here first -

Dennis Erickson will leave Arizona St. in the offseason if they make the BCS this year.

Also, Az St. will be suspended from postseason play in 2009 by the NCAA for infractions made by Erickson and his staff during the time that he was there.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 12:00 AM)
Yeah, he had a bad 42 minutes, but that last 6 showed me a lot about his make-up/character. He's not the kind of player that is going to fold under pressure. As for his interceptions, they really don't bother me if he is always going to give his team a chance to win. i.e. Brett Favre...

No offense, but that wasn't a high school game.

Let's try a bad (unproductive) 54 minutes and a good 6 minutes. And I liked his production even though it cost me money.

Edited by Mplssoxfan

Dan, this is what Heads just said when the Tigers threw a pick 6 to ISU:

aernst022: fhdaskk

aernst022: DHAK

aernst022: TOUCHDOWN

aernst022: 24 YD INT

aernst022: f*** YOU CHASE DANIEL

aernst022: f*** YOU DAN

aernst022: f*** YOU GARY PINKEL

So please....when Mizzu finishes this game with a 20+ lead, rip the crap out of Heads!!!!

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
Dan, this is what Heads just said when the Tigers threw a pick 6 to ISU:

aernst022: fhdaskk

aernst022: DHAK

aernst022: TOUCHDOWN

aernst022: 24 YD INT

aernst022: f*** YOU CHASE DANIEL

aernst022: f*** YOU DAN

aernst022: f*** YOU GARY PINKEL

So please....when Mizzu finishes this game with a 20+ lead, rip the crap out of Heads!!!!

eh