Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 01:54 AM)
Would love to see a new rule requiring at least 7 wins for bowl eligibility now. With so many teams playing at least 7 games, you should at least be required to have a winning record, and not have a chance of having a losing record after a bowl game. Then we might be able to cut out some of these MeinekeDarleneTheCrackSmokerButShesInRehab.com bowls.

The bitter Northwestern fan in me agrees. If NU shouldn't go at 6-6 (and I agree), other 6-6 teams shouldn't. 6 wins worked when teams played 11 games, meaning one less cupcake. Heck 6-6 didn't get you in before the 12th game was officially added. I think they will actually change that rule too.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next week is gonna be a hard fought game between OU and Mizzou. The key for Mizzou is getting pressure on Bradford, last time he had all day in the pocket; change that and mizzou will win. Also, no turnovers, but Chase is in the zone right now, so I am not real worried about him, just the D against OU's explosive O.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 07:54 AM)
Would love to see a new rule requiring at least 7 wins for bowl eligibility now. With so many teams playing at least 7 games, you should at least be required to have a winning record, and not have a chance of having a losing record after a bowl game. Then we might be able to cut out some of these MeinekeDarleneTheCrackSmokerButShesInRehab.com bowls.

totally agree. to me, you shouldn't be rewarded for mediocrity, and 6-6 is the definition of medicrity.

Okay here is the scenario....

Oklahoma beats Missouri

Pitt beats West Virginia (not gonna happen, but play along)

LSU beats Tennessee

USC beats UCLA

Va Tech beats BC

Arizona State beats Arizona

Georgia, Florida and Ohio State do not play

Who is # 1 and # 2?? Ohio State is in. Does LSU get back in with an impressive win over Tennessee? Could Georgia, also sitting in the clubhouse with OSU, get the nod? What if USC pounds UCLA, could they make it all the way back??

Tell me that's not a big ole mess!

Virginia Tech at #8 currently and winning over #14 BC might propel them close to the national title game hunt. That would be bad, as VT just isn't that great of a team. Nobody from the ACC is. Here's how I predict the top 10 of the BCS this week.

1. West Virginia 10-1

2. Missouri 10-1

3. Ohio State 11-1

4. Georgia 10-2

5. LSU 10-2

6. Kansas 11-1

7. Virginia Tech 10-2

8. Oklahoma 10-2

9. USC 9-2

10. Arizona State 9-2

Edited by Palehosefan

According to ESPN, if both Mizzou and WVU lose and LSU wins, then they were saying Ohio State v. LSU.

They were saying no to Georgia because they didn't win their part of the SEC. And LSU destroyed Virginia Tech earlier in the year, taking them out. Didn't say anytihng about USC, tho.

Also, if Ohio State gets in to the BCS championship game, Illinois goes to the Rose Bowl.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 06:58 PM)
The Rose Bowl will fight to the death for a BT/PT match-up. Illinois would be their only option.

So Michigan wouldn't be an option? If it comes to money, the Rose Bowl will pick Michigan.

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 07:00 PM)
So Michigan wouldn't be an option? If it comes to money, the Rose Bowl will pick Michigan.

No...it won't be Michigan. 8-4 vs. 9-3 for one. Also, I believe they still do the last one to play in the Rose Bowl scenario, which would be Michigan. Therefore...go Illini!

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 07:00 PM)

Basically, no. They would pick the best big ten team left, and that team is Illinois. Michigan is second tier.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 07:08 PM)
Basically, no. They would pick the best big ten team left, and that team is Illinois. Michigan is second tier.

If Michigan is second tier, what is Illinois? Who Michigan and IOWA beat? Both teams 6-2 in conference.

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)
If Michigan is second tier, what is Illinois? Who Michigan and IOWA beat? Both teams 6-2 in conference.

Illinois is within the BCS portion of the rankings. Michigan is not. Hence, second tier.

Heres a little webpage for your wolverine eyes.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfootball/

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)

Yes, but Illinois beat one #1 team in the country in Ohio State and lost to another #1 team in the country, Mizzou. Plus, they didn't get stomped in any of their losses, like Michigan, didn't get beat by an FCS team, like Michigan, and had only 3 losses, not 4, like Michigan.

In the immortal words of White Goodman, "Endo story."

Brian, the benefit of Illinois getting into the BCS is that it will bump Michigan up a bowl or two. Chance is pretty good Michigan will end up in Orlando in the Capitol One Bowl if Illinois bumps into the BCS. Problem is, how do the Illini get in. There are only two at large bids, right? As of now, it seems Hawaii will be guaranteed a spot. Georgia should get the other. Or am I missing two bids?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
Brian, the benefit of Illinois getting into the BCS is that it will bump Michigan up a bowl or two. Chance is pretty good Michigan will end up in Orlando in the Capitol One Bowl if Illinois bumps into the BCS. Problem is, how do the Illini get in. There are only two at large bids, right? As of now, it seems Hawaii will be guaranteed a spot. Georgia should get the other. Or am I missing two bids?

It's been such a bad season for Michigan since week 1, despite the win streak. Henne will play his last game hurt, Hart is playing for NFL scouts but doubt he will get drafted before round 4.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 04:41 AM)

Missing two. They added a 5th BCS Bowl last year(The NC game is now its own entity), a big part of that because the Rose Bowl wanted to preserve its BT/PT match-up(Although moreso because someone will be making millions of more dollars).