Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 07:38 PM)
On the Michigan coaching front, rumors today were flying out of Louisiana that Miles is all but a done deal at Michigan and to expect some kind of announcement early next week after LSU plays in the SEC Championship this weekend.

Just saw this article.

LSU allows Miles to talk to Michigan

There aren't any candidates that blow me away. Miles maybe the best option. I saw something about Jon Gruden being talked about. That would rule but doubt he would leave the NFL now.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah Wisconsin Capital One was kind of not going to happen from the get go. I think both sides did not want 3 years in a row of the same bowl game. Cap one is slightly more prestigious than Outback, but im pretty sure Wisconsin did not want Alamo.

Still get Florida, still get New Years day.

It actually makes a lot of sense, the only way Wisconsin can do better is if Illinois goes to the BCS and Cap One Selected them over UM and PSU. If Illinois did not make the BCS, Illinois goes to Cap One, and Wisconsin could potentially have dropped lower than Alamo. As it stands Wisconsin gets a guaranteed New Years day game against a SEC opponent.

Mizzou-OU rerun on FSN (I believe nationally). I'm watching because I want to know what it looked like on tv since I was at the game and I want to see what matchups might be different and such. For those of you who haven't seen Mizzou other than the Kansas game it might be worth watching. It's the most Mizzou's offense has struggled all year and they still outgained OU and scored 31.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 07:38 PM)
Mizzou-OU rerun on FSN (I believe nationally). I'm watching because I want to know what it looked like on tv since I was at the game and I want to see what matchups might be different and such. For those of you who haven't seen Mizzou other than the Kansas game it might be worth watching. It's the most Mizzou's offense has struggled all year and they still outgained OU and scored 31.

Its not on Nationally.. Womens basketball here in Texas

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)

That would not only be crazy, but stupid in my opinion. I guess nothing would surprise me in the SEC.

One thing that goes on in the SEC that I think is total horsecrap is how all the coaches keep moving around and keep getting contract extensions because their name always pops up. Think it has anything to do with the fact that Jimmy Sexton is the agent for 6 of the 12 SEC coaches?? He continually plants his coaches names out there so they get more money. I wouldn't have such a problem with it, but he negotiates a contract, then another client gets a huge deal raising the bar. So he floats out the first client's name with potential job openings to allow that client to get more money in essence generated by what he got for his other client. It just seems borderline unethical to me.

Let the "soandso coach is off to LSU for sure!!!" rumors begin....

I don't see Miles as such a 'great' grab myself. LSU had amazing talent this year, and never looked like a dominating team as the year went on. But hey, I guess Michigan is happy with Miles. Tenuta, OTOH, is a great grab.

I was a little unsure about Miles at first, but the more I think about it, I think Miles is exactly what Michigan needs. He knows and understand what Michigan football means and their tradition, yet he is an agressive coach and is not afraid to take chances, which will separate him from his predecessors.

I truly think the SEC somewhat forces coaches into somewhat of a gambler's mentality and Miles has taken that to new levels this year. I really think at Michigan, while he will take chances, he won't coach in a such a risky way. Apparently, money will not be an issue in terms of his salary and it appears Michigan will give him the budget he wants for recruiting and assistants/staff.

While Miles resume isn't as strong as some may want, I think he brings exactly what Michigan needs. He took over at OSU and in his first season (4-7) beat #4 rival Oklahoma, knocking them out of the NC picture. The next year they went 8-5 again beating Oklahoma, ranked #2 at the time and winning their bowl game. They followed that up with a 9-4 season which included a Cotton Bowl berth, OSU's first New Year's Day bowl in 55 years. His last season they went 7-5 losing the Alamo Bowl in what was a transition time as he was leaving for LSU.

At LSU he has simply had the best record in the SEC during his tenure. Some argue he won with Nick Saban's players. There was an interesting comparison on one of Michigan's boards this week and it showed, based on the final Rivals rankings of each player, that Michigan actually had more "talent" than LSU did, yet LSU is considered the most talented team in the country. The LSU players that are starting weren't as highly regarded coming in as people seem to believe (some were very highly regarded) so that tells me the current LSU coaches have had something to do with their current talent level.

I think he will bring a much more agressive style in recruiting, getting top quality assistants and game play into the Big Ten, which will help Michigan, but also the conference in general over the next five years or so. One could say that Zook did the same at Illinois.

interesting. frankly i think this is better for michigan. as the fan of a big ten foe, i was welcoming the idea of miles to mich. to me, the guy is just not a good coach. he was just OK at okie state then walked into an embarrassment of riches at lsu. time will tell, but it wouldn't surprise me if he never wins an nc at lsu or wherever.

so, who does michigan turn to? what do people think of rich rodriguez?

Does anyone that saw that press conference think the door is still open? He certainly didn't slam any doors closed. If you didn't see it, his words were (I'm paraphrashing):

There was an erroneous report on ESPN today that I need to address

I am the coach at LSU

I will be the coach at LSU

I have no interest in talking to anyone else

I have a Championship football game to play

I am excited to coach my damned strong football team today

I am upset that I had to address my team this morning due to this report

He did not answer any questions. The LSU Chancellor and AD were there and they left the table with him and did not address the media either.

Interesting

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)
Does anyone that saw that press conference think the door is still open? He certainly didn't slam any doors closed. If you didn't see it, his words were (I'm paraphrashing):

There was an erroneous report on ESPN today that I need to address

I am the coach at LSU

I will be the coach at LSU

I have no interest in talking to anyone else

I have a Championship football game to play

I am excited to coach my damned strong football team today

I am upset that I had to address my team this morning due to this report

He did not answer any questions. The LSU Chancellor and AD were there and they left the table with him and did not address the media either.

Interesting

definitely agree. he completely left the door open.

:pray

The full text of his statement....

"There was misinformation on ESPN and i think it's imperative that I straighten it out. I am the head coach at LSU. I will be the head coach at LSU. I have no interest in talking to anybody else. I got a championship game to play, and I'm excited about the opportunity of my damn strong football team to play in it. And that's really all I'd like to say. It's unfortunate that I had to address my team with this information this morning. With that being done, I think we'll be ready to play. There will be no questions for me. I represent me in this issue. Please ask me after. I'm busy. Thank you very much. Have a great day."

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 07:27 PM)
The full text of his statement....

"There was misinformation on ESPN and i think it's imperative that I straighten it out. I am the head coach at LSU. I will be the head coach at LSU. I have no interest in talking to anybody else. I got a championship game to play, and I'm excited about the opportunity of my damn strong football team to play in it. And that's really all I'd like to say. It's unfortunate that I had to address my team with this information this morning. With that being done, I think we'll be ready to play. There will be no questions for me. I represent me in this issue. Please ask me after. I'm busy. Thank you very much. Have a great day."

translation:

"it was really crappy timing that the word of me going to michigan broke on the same day we're playing in the sec championship, particularly considering my d-coordinator is going to nebraska, too. so, i'm lsu's coach today, but sometime in the next few weeks i'll be coaching at michigan. i'll probably drum up some tears at that time, too, you know, just to take the edge off."

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
translation:

"it was really crappy timing that the word of me going to michigan broke on the same day we're playing in the sec championship, particularly considering my d-coordinator is going to nebraska, too. so, i'm lsu's coach today, but sometime in the next few weeks i'll be coaching at michigan. i'll probably drum up some tears at that time, too, you know, just to take the edge off."

LOL well done. I am not convinced he is definitely going to be in either place come the end of next week. I'll be curious how he handles his post-game press conference this afternoon.

Thats just not really true.

LSU has much more in state talent http://lsu.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?school=37

10 in state 3 star or higher players. In 2007, LSU had 11 3 star or higher in state committments

Compared to Michigan who has 3 in state committments and 3 Ohio commitments. in 2008. In 2007 5 in state commitments....

I really dont see how he could possibly have the same success because once he leaves LSU, the next LSU coach will get all his old recruiting areas and maybe Miles can pull 1-2 players a year from there but that still would leave him way short of what he was being given, let alone all the Texas, Florida players who go to LSU because of New Orleans.

I just cant see Miles doing as well when hes going to have to compete with Tressel, Zook, Weiss, for the same talent every year and not have as much in his own state to play with.

Miles just seemed to have put the nail in the coffin in a pre-game interview with CBS' Tracy Wolfson.

He said he is the coach at LSU and will be the coach at LSU. She asked him if that meant next year and he said absolutely.

Either he is completely an idiot or he is staying. Some may argue both, but I will just state I now think the door is closed.