Official College Football Thread

The Michigan-Ohio area is as good as it gets outside of Cali, Florida, and Texas recruiting. Michigan and Ohio State's base comes out of the area which has 22 4-5 star talents in the area alone.

Before Saban returned LSU to the spotlight, Michigan was recruiting above LSU and had several top 5 classes in a row in the late 90's/early 2000's. Since then both schools are about even. Michigan's class average is 8.8th in the nation, and LSU's is 8.3th in the nation. This is coming with LSU being as high of a program as they have ever been and Michigan was relatively down with Carr winding down his coaching career.

Michigan has as much tradition as just about anyone, a huge stadium, great fanbase, great natural rivalry, great natural recruiting base, and as much or more money than LSU.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Coaches words mean absolutely nothing. Plenty of coaches have flat denied they are leaving, promised they are staying, and then were gone the next year. Nick Saban, Butch Davis, etc are just a few to name. I fully expect Miles at Michigan next year. I don't understand why Herbstreit, an OSU guy, would put this information out there right now :lolhitting

Im not saying Michigan cant recruit, Im saying that Les Miles has a much easier time recruiting from LSU, than he would from Michigan.

And yes I know before Saban LSU wasnt that great, but does that really matter? LSU is now a preeminent SEC team.

Miles barely has to leave his backyard to recruit at LSU, at Michigan he would be forced to recruit nationally and beat out teams like USC, OSU, Florida etc for almost every single recruit. In Louisiana he has homefield advantage, and then he can select a few recruits from outside of the state to compliment his class. Also the draw of NO should not be devalued, Ann Arbor is a nice college town, but not really the Big Easy.

Im just saying Carr had to work much harder to get those 8th rated recruiting classes than Miles did.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...1/1056/SPORTS08

Almost every media outlet is reporting Miles has agreed to a new contract with LSU, id say its a 10% chance hes at Michigan if even that.

Of importance:

The LSU official sports Web site stated in a release: “Terms and conditions of the contract have been agreed upon and will be presented at the next meeting of the LSU Board of Supervisors on Dec. 6. Miles will not entertain any offer from the University of Michigan to become the Wolverines head coach or from any other institution.”

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
Hes not going to Michigan.

The point was to see who would pay the most, Michigan or LSU. Now its being reported that LSU and Miles will agree to a new contract.

My guess is that he leveraged the UM job for a huge pay day at LSU and gets to keep the much easier job.

I don't think it was about money at all. I think it was more about the process.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
The Michigan-Ohio area is as good as it gets outside of Cali, Florida, and Texas recruiting. Michigan and Ohio State's base comes out of the area which has 22 4-5 star talents in the area alone.

Much of Michigans best players throughout their history have come from Ohio.

I am in East Tennesee this weekend for a road trip of installs at some of our locations in the south. Its pretty amazing how into it the Knoxville area is. Everyone was wearing Orange and the local TV was covering the SEC championship game like the Bears playoff games. In Chicago we get some college pride, however nothing like this. It was pretty amazing to see.

Well time to find something to eat. Maybe something with a bar so I can see the rest of the Mizzou game.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)
I really do not like Oklahoma at all, but they are getting screwed on these PI calls; they have been good plays all the way.

Daniels run should of been a TD, but Mizz should have been able to punch it in anyway. Only got a FG.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 08:06 PM)
I am in East Tennesee this weekend for a road trip of installs at some of our locations in the south. Its pretty amazing how into it the Knoxville area is. Everyone was wearing Orange and the local TV was covering the SEC championship game like the Bears playoff games. In Chicago we get some college pride, however nothing like this. It was pretty amazing to see.

Well time to find something to eat. Maybe something with a bar so I can see the rest of the Mizzou game.

Welcome to the South, ssi71

The PIs were good calls and Daniel wasn't in. They call the arm around the back before the ball every time. Mizzou isn't playing poorly, so the tie score seems somewhat fair. They are moving the ball, but their goalline offense continues to be a bit of a problem.

For people who care, you probably already know, but Pitt is leading 10-7 late 3rd. They just had a TD run called back on a questionable hold and then missed a short FG.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 09:27 PM)
I do think you would see LSU jump back into the NC game in that scenario.

It would have to be. No way you could justify KU, Va. Tech, or Georgia getting in over them (all teams ahead of them in the last BCS standings). Quite frankly I don't think KU is very good, did not beat a decent team all year and didn't even make their conference title game. LSU freaking throttled Va Tech, and LSU should obviously be in over Georgia since they won the SEC and Georgia didn't even win their division.