Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)
The best part of Illinois in the Rose Bowl is they avoid Georgia, Oklahoma, and Florida, who are all better teams than USC is by far, and certainly worse matchups for Illinois. It's a very good matchup for Illinois, as their weakness (defense) will be offset by the bewilderingly poor offense of USC, and the USC strength of defense will be put to the test against the Illini offense. Should be a great game, and WOW Missouri got screwed, poor guys. It's a shame Hawaii and Kansas made the BCS by avoiding playing anybody, but hey this system does suck, so it happens.

As for the best teams....I have thought all year Oklahoma was the best team I've seen and I stand by it. Georgia is getting close though since they started playing Moreno, I still think Florida is better than LSU, and Ohio State would struggle to make my top 10 of best teams I've seen. Ohio State has a shot against LSU though, this year is the worst to not have a playoff since the 2 teams playing for the title are nowhere near the best 2 teams IMO. The problem for Ohio State is Dorsey is going to be healthy for the game, and he can by himself ruin the inside running game, and Beanie won't be able to get outside on their defense.

Missouri is ok, they will always have their love of meth labs, and their historic belief that slavery was a good thing.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
so lets look at the whole schedule for bowl games...what are the best matchups?

This is what I am interested in..

Illinois VS. USC

I think Illinois can win.. USC only beat two teams with winning records and lost to an Oregon team who runs the spread and has a mobile QB. I said I THINK they can win, im not calling it.

OU VS. West Virginia

If Pat White is healthy, should be a good game.

Georgia VS. Hawaii

Looking to see how Hawaii does against a legit team. I think they could beat Georgia, the spread is just tough to stop.

Michigan VS. Florida

Only wanna see Michigan get crushed.

Kentucky VS. Florida State

I like Andre Woodson, plus my friend is an FSU fan and would like to see them lose.

Penn State VS Texas A&M

This just looks like a good game.

Thats about it for me, nothing else really interests me

QUOTE(Shadows @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 11:30 PM)
This is what I am interested in..

Illinois VS. USC

I think Illinois can win.. USC only beat two teams with winning records and lost to an Oregon team who runs the spread and has a mobile QB. I said I THINK they can win, im not calling it.

OU VS. West Virginia

If Pat White is healthy, should be a good game.

Georgia VS. Hawaii

Looking to see how Hawaii does against a legit team. I think they could beat Georgia, the spread is just tough to stop.

Michigan VS. Florida

Only wanna see Michigan get crushed.

Illinois vs. USC will be like a 24-20 type game I believe, but I'm not sure who will have what score, I hope Juice already has a tape of the Oregon/USC game though. OU is going to do bad things to WVU with the letdown effect West Virginia will have from blowing the backyard brawl, plus OU has the speed to stop the WVU spread. Michigan is going to get killed, and Hawaii will too. They haven't played anybody, and their one dimensional spread will have major issues with the SEC speed. Plus, Moreno and Thomas Brown will have a field day on the ground.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 11:32 PM)
Illinois vs. USC will be like a 24-20 type game I believe, but I'm not sure who will have what score, I hope Juice already has a tape of the Oregon/USC game though. OU is going to do bad things to WVU with the letdown effect West Virginia will have from blowing the backyard brawl, plus OU has the speed to stop the WVU spread. Michigan is going to get killed, and Hawaii will too. They haven't played anybody, and their one dimensional spread will have major issues with the SEC speed. Plus, Moreno and Thomas Brown will have a field day on the ground.

Im sure a lot of people thought that OU was going to destroy Boise State last year as well.. thats why I am interested in that game, because you don't really know whats gonna happen. Of course everyone thinks that Georgia is gonna tear them a new asshole but I wouldn't be shocked to see Hawaii win the game.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 12:59 PM)
Jeff, I hope the Illinis play USC so I can see the Illini get the absolute s*** kicked out of them. The Big 10 was so bad this year, its a joke that they'll have 2 BCS teams (Illinois is not deserving of a BCS bid).

Illinois doesn't deserve a BCS bid, as much as I love them and hope they win, but USC is not very good, and I'm not sure where you got the idea they'll beat on Illinois. Their shockingly bad offense will overshadow Illinois' mediocre defense, and the 190 rush yards they gave up to Oregon and only 2 wins against winning teams fly red flags.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 11:40 PM)
Im sure a lot of people thought that OU was going to destroy Boise State last year as well.. thats why I am interested in that game, because you don't really know whats gonna happen. Of course everyone thinks that Georgia is gonna tear them a new asshole but I wouldn't be shocked to see Hawaii win the game.

Boise State was a vastly superior team to Hawaii this year, and Georgia is a lot better than the down OU team that Boise got to face. I see your point, but last years Boise win was a fluke, not only with the way they won, but also with their once in a lifetime good team that got to face the worst OU team of this entire decade.

Hey, at least Illinois won down the stretch when it mattered, unlike pretty much every other team in the country.

Missouri, deserving or not, had their chances to 100% secure a BCS bowl, so I have absolutely no sympathy for them being left out, and if they were in, I'd be saying the same thing about the next team left out.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 11:46 PM)
Boise State was a vastly superior team to Hawaii this year, and Georgia is a lot better than the down OU team that Boise got to face. I see your point, but last years Boise win was a fluke, not only with the way they won, but also with their once in a lifetime good team that got to face the worst OU team of this entire decade.

Eh, I don't think OU was much better this year than last year.. they got jobbed in that Oregon game and also played the entire year without a legit QB. They definitely weren't the worst team on this decade, thats for sure.

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 09:23 PM)
I disagree that tebow is EASILY the best player in the nation. I think McFadden certainly is comparable. I think McFadden is the best in the nation personally.

Huh? Is that hate for Tebow personally? He is having a season that no other player has had in college football

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 11:54 PM)
Huh? Is that hate for Tebow personally? He is having a season that no other player has had in college football

Tebow is the best player in college football and deserves the Heisman, but to say he's having a season like no other in college football ever is a bit of a *Hawk* STRETCH!! */Hawk*. The only reason Tebow is having a season like this is (1) Florida has no running backs, so Tebow has to do the work inside the 5, where almost all of his TD runs have come from and (2) He's amazingly tough and thus, can take the punishment on all the TD runs and runs in general.

And btw, going back to last night, I meant that was the worst OKLAHOMA team this decade, which it was (the 2005 OU team was better, they just didn't go to a BCS game because of Vince Young).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(SnB @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 09:23 AM)
it kinda blows that after waiting 4 years for some kind of bowl that the illini finally make one and it's waaaaaaaay too expensive for me to go to it.

bah.

I'm afraid this might be the case for me too in trying to go to Tempe. I'm still trying though. Finding a cheap flight at that time is my biggest problem in all this.

re the conference championship discussion:

I think Jim Delaney was smiling big time last night for not having a championship game. No way he gets a) a shot at the national championship and B) two teams in the BCS (i.e. twice the amount of money for the conference) if the Big Ten has one. I'm not opposed to it at all - in fact I think it would make the league better (after they add a 12th team and create two divisions). The problem for the big ten is that their money-maker national game, osu-mich, would become meaningless unless you put them in different divisions and hope they make the final every year.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 08:56 AM)
I'm afraid this might be the case for me too in trying to go to Tempe. I'm still trying though. Finding a cheap flight at that time is my biggest problem in all this.

yeah that's the only problem with us too. Airfare is killer, i was hoping for a florida bowl, that would be definitely driveable.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 06:56 AM)

Just realized that I'm within one day driving distance...

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)
It's a shame Hawaii and Kansas made the BCS by avoiding playing anybody, but hey this system does suck, so it happens.

IIRC, Hawaii had Michigan State on their schedule, but Sparty bought out the contract. I think they also tried to get a game with Michigan, but UM played App. State instead. So while it's true that Hawaii didn't play anyone, it's not true that they avoided playing anybody.

Two things that should happen, but never will -- a playoff and no polls taken until the first weekend in October. Oh well. Great regular season, lousy postseason system-- NCAA Football in a nutshell.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
Illinois doesn't deserve a BCS bid, as much as I love them and hope they win, but USC is not very good, and I'm not sure where you got the idea they'll beat on Illinois. Their shockingly bad offense will overshadow Illinois' mediocre defense, and the 190 rush yards they gave up to Oregon and only 2 wins against winning teams fly red flags.

You are crazy. USC will destroy Illinois. Their offense is clicking on all levels right now, and should've been given the chance to play for the National Title.

After the Rose Bowl, people will clamor for a +1 game (if not an actual playoff), wondering what would happen if USC played Ohio St or LSU.

I think more people believe Georgia is a better team than USC, and would be complaining more if OSU destroys LSU and Georgia hammers their team.

USC lost to Stanford at home, thats like OSU losing to NU. you just have no claim when you lose to one of the worst teams at your own house.

USC should worry about its own opponent Illinois at this point. They beat the team playing for the NC on the road, might not be such a great idea to start overlooking them and worrying about arguing that you should have been in the NC.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 05:54 AM)
Eh, I don't think OU was much better this year than last year.. they got jobbed in that Oregon game and also played the entire year without a legit QB. They definitely weren't the worst team on this decade, thats for sure.

having sam bradford made them much better this year than last year.

If OSU lost to NU instead of Illinois they wouldnt be playing for the NC game either.

And that sucks about Mizzou, KU should not be anywhere near a BCS game. They should be getting a beat down by Arkansas, but unfortunately all that KU basketball power got them a little gift in football. Because if you switched the basketball programs I guarantee that MU is going to the BCS over Kansas.

Now theyll get to play VT to prove to all the Big 12 haters in the world that they belong.

Best case scenario for KU, worst case scenario for MU.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)
And btw, going back to last night, I meant that was the worst OKLAHOMA team this decade, which it was (the 2005 OU team was better, they just didn't go to a BCS game because of Vince Young).

Dude, the 2005 team went 8-4 and lost to TCU, UCLA, Texas, and Texas Tech

They were not better than the 2006 squad