Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 01:53 AM)
Despite their 2 losses, I still think Penn State is a superior team to Wisconsin, just simply haven't had the blind luck the men in red have so far.

Also, people will talk, but the fact that Illinois could beat a very good Penn State team today despite not playing their best ball AT ALL is a good sign if anything to me.

Penn State is not a very good team, stop it.

I made my own top 25 which was more of a prediction of the AP Poll than my actual rankings and I can't believe they put Kentucky ahead of Florida and Oklahoma. Does anyone in their right mind actually think Kentucky can beat those teams even 4 times out of 10? Also, South Florida should probably be #5 ahead of Wisconsin. With Kentucky, Boston College, and Wisconsin in the top 10 don't be too surprised to see another week like this down the road.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(danman31 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)
Penn State is not a very good team, stop it.

I made my own top 25 which was more of a prediction of the AP Poll than my actual rankings and I can't believe they put Kentucky ahead of Florida and Oklahoma. Does anyone in their right mind actually think Kentucky can beat those teams even 4 times out of 10? Also, South Florida should probably be #5 ahead of Wisconsin. With Kentucky, Boston College, and Wisconsin in the top 10 don't be too surprised to see another week like this down the road

They are the 3rd best team Illinois plays in the league, besides Ohio State and Michigan. The exposition of the fraud that is Wisconsin (the level of luck they've had so far is incredible) begins on Saturday. As for part 2 of that....if Colorado can beat OU and Auburn can win at Florida, I think yes an undefeated Kentucky that beat Louisville when it was #9 and won at Arkansas, plus has the Heisman leader, deserves a better ranking.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 11:34 PM)
They are the 3rd best team Illinois plays in the league, besides Ohio State and Michigan. The exposition of the fraud that is Wisconsin (the level of luck they've had so far is incredible) begins on Saturday. As for part 2 of that....if Colorado can beat OU and Auburn can win at Florida, I think yes an undefeated Kentucky that beat Louisville when it was #9 and won at Arkansas, plus has the Heisman leader, deserves a better ranking.

What's with you and always thinking close games are "luck?"'

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 12:27 AM)
What's with you and always thinking close games are "luck?"'

If you win every close game in college football, it's a matter of luck. The 2002 Ohio State Buckeyes, for instance, are the luckiest team I've ever seen. College Football is a very bizarre and momentum based game, and thusly the truly good teams have their share of easy wins. In the NFL, I think you can be more of a team that wins close games and not be lucky since that's more coaching with as close every team is talentwise. But in college football, if your truly a top 5 or 10 team like everybody thinks Wisconsin is, you shouldn't have to narrowly survive a home game against an Iowa team that has lost 7 straight league games and isn't going bowling, play tight with and give up 31 at home to The Citadel, and need a late TD to win at UNLV (plus obviously the Michigan State game Saturday). Combine that with the fact Illinois just got done running all over the #1 rush defense in the Big 10 in the form of over 200 yards, and Wisconsin is 10th in the Big 10 in rush defense per carry, as well as McGee seeing some time at QB and the game being in C/U, and Illinois will win.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 10:21 AM)
They didnt lose a game and it was all luck?

The fact that they went 14-0 despite all of the following late game senarios:

Winning 23-19 over the Bearcats in Cincinnati, despite UC having first and goal and getting 4 passes into the end zone that could have won it with less than a minute to go before an interception.

Won 19-14 at UW despite trailing 14-13 halfway through the 4th quarter at Wisconsin, and then holding on to a 5 point lead late in the 4th as Wisconsin had the ball inside the OSU 30.

Won 13-7 at home over Penn State due to a 3rd quarter pick 6 by Chris Gamble, then held on thanks in large part to no call on an obvious pass interference late in the game in OSU territory.

Won 10-6 at Purdue despite being down 6-3 with 2 minutes left in the game, and hitting a 4th and 1 at the Purdue 35 on a bomb for a touchdown that was perfectly covered.

Won 23-16 in overtime at Illinois in a game that would have gone to double overtime if not for a horrid ruling of a bobble by Walter Young on an obvious TD catch.

Beat Michigan 14-9 at Ohio Stadium after trailing 9-7 in the 4th quarter and allowing Michigan into OSU territory several times in the second half.

Winning 31-24 in double overtime over Miami, a victory that isn't possible without a late and phanton pass interference call on 4th down in the 1st overtime.

Was that team a great clutch team and well coached? There is no doubt at all they were, but the fact that they won every single one of those games (half of their overall schedule) in the same season is without question very lucky, if even one break goes against them in any of those games, they lose.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I would be really shocked if Illinois wins.

I can see them putting up 30 points, but I really dont see how Illinois can stop Wisconsin from putting up 40 in that scenario. The reason that Wisconsin plays close games is that they play ball control and run the ball. They dont go out there and just start airing it out trying to put up a huge lead.

But then again I guess its cool to be disrespectful to the team with the longest winning streak in the nation?

Because thats just luck right? Its not about being good winning 14 games in a row, its all about being lucky.

College football is about winning every game, its not about style points, its not about how it gets done, its about at the end of the day still being undefeated. In each of the games this season Wisconsin has walked onto the field as the more talented team, and in each game they have walked off the field with a victory.

Call me old fashioned, but last I checked Wisconsin was 5-0

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)
I would be really shocked if Illinois wins.

I can see them putting up 30 points, but I really dont see how Illinois can stop Wisconsin from putting up 40 in that scenario. The reason that Wisconsin plays close games is that they play ball control and run the ball. They dont go out there and just start airing it out trying to put up a huge lead.

But then again I guess its cool to be disrespectful to the team with the longest winning streak in the nation?

Because thats just luck right? Its not about being good winning 14 games in a row, its all about being lucky.

College football is about winning every game, its not about style points, its not about how it gets done, its about at the end of the day still being undefeated. In each of the games this season Wisconsin has walked onto the field as the more talented team, and in each game they have walked off the field with a victory.

Call me old fashioned, but last I checked Wisconsin was 5-0

i'd be less shocked, given this same group's strong performance in madison last year. that said, i am somewhat surprised that illinois is favored and if i had to pick i'd probably go with the badgers. they are indeed unbeaten, although i do think illinois has played better opponents up until this point.

the run game has to concern you if you are an illinois fan. there were plenty of running lanes for psu runners last weekend, and i think the badger run game is better and more consistent. however, i also expect the illini to have better success running the ball this week than last.

all-in-all, this is a hard game to call. it will be interesting to see how this illini team handles success.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:14 AM)

Winning 23-19 over the Bearcats in Cincinnati, despite UC having first and goal and getting 4 passes into the end zone that could have won it with less than a minute to go before an interception.

Won 19-14 at UW despite trailing 14-13 halfway through the 4th quarter at Wisconsin, and then holding on to a 5 point lead late in the 4th as Wisconsin had the ball inside the OSU 30.

Won 13-7 at home over Penn State due to a 3rd quarter pick 6 by Chris Gamble, then held on thanks in large part to no call on an obvious pass interference late in the game in OSU territory.

Won 10-6 at Purdue despite being down 6-3 with 2 minutes left in the game, and hitting a 4th and 1 at the Purdue 35 on a bomb for a touchdown that was perfectly covered.

Won 23-16 in overtime at Illinois in a game that would have gone to double overtime if not for a horrid ruling of a bobble by Walter Young on an obvious TD catch.

Beat Michigan 14-9 at Ohio Stadium after trailing 9-7 in the 4th quarter and allowing Michigan into OSU territory several times in the second half.

Winning 31-24 in double overtime over Miami, a victory that isn't possible without a late and phanton pass interference call on 4th down in the 1st overtime.

Was that team a great clutch team and well coached? There is no doubt at all they were, but the fact that they won every single one of those games (half of their overall schedule) in the same season is without question very lucky, if even one break goes against them in any of those games, they lose.

Every game in the history of college football is won by your definition of luck.

Last year in Madison was a 1 half aberration.

As for better opponents I think that needs to be played out, PSU and MSU are going to be about equal when it all plays out, and teams like Iowa, etc play up for Wisconsin, beating a top 10 team is a make or break game, so generally Wisconsin is seeing teams play at their peak.

Its not that I dont think Illinois is talented, I just dont see them being as talented as Wisconsin. Penn State was ranked high, but why?

It was nothing more than the belief that Morelli would take the next step with the defense and that they would therefore be a potential Big 10 contender.

Morelli could have won that game, he made costly mistakes at in opportune times.

I think Wisconsin is a bad match up for Illinois because Wisconsin has one of the the most high powered offense's in the nation and Illinois really has given up a good amount of points in almost every game.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
Sucks to be a Big 12 South team

The North might actually be on its way back, but there's still some glaring issues.

Missouri - Gary Pinkel.

Kansas - Haven't played anyone tougher than my high school this year, will get a nice test against K-State.

Kansas State - When Prince isn't busy making his assistant coaches run or scaring off players, he's done a nice job to dig out of the hole Snyder dug the team into.

Nebraska - Played worse each game this year.

Colorado - They've bought into Hawkins and could be North champs at the end of the year if the Oklahoma game is a true indicator

ISU - lacking seriously in talent, but ahead of where'd they'd be with McCarney

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 05:28 PM)
Last year in Madison was a 1 half aberration.

As for better opponents I think that needs to be played out, PSU and MSU are going to be about equal when it all plays out, and teams like Iowa, etc play up for Wisconsin, beating a top 10 team is a make or break game, so generally Wisconsin is seeing teams play at their peak.

Its not that I dont think Illinois is talented, I just dont see them being as talented as Wisconsin. Penn State was ranked high, but why?

It was nothing more than the belief that Morelli would take the next step with the defense and that they would therefore be a potential Big 10 contender.

Morelli could have won that game, he made costly mistakes at in opportune times.

I think Wisconsin is a bad match up for Illinois because Wisconsin has one of the the most high powered offense's in the nation and Illinois really has given up a good amount of points in almost every game.

well, i disagree with a lot of that, but we'll just have to see saturday. should be a good game between two pretty solid big ten teams.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:14 AM)

So, they pulled out wins so they must be lucky? Your reasoning makes no sense. I guess EVERY close game is decided by luck. The 2002 OSU team defense kept opposing teams to 25 yards per point. Thats an incredible statistic and shows when these late games are decided. Their defense made an opposing team go almost 2 lengths of the football field per touchdown. They played championship caliber defense which showed in the late min of their wins. Football goes both ways like that, if it wasnt for a horrible drop vs Texas in 2004-2005 and a "lucky" break that Troy Smith sat out the game before and half of that game, Texas doesnt win that game, nor a national title. Thats college football, just like in life, has its ups, downs and breaks.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 06:07 PM)
Wisconsin has the longest streak at 14 games.

I think you are not considering OSU losing to Florida, which was like 5 games ago lol

Maybe longest regular season streak is OSU?

if you talk to buckeye fans, the florida game did not happen. :D

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)
if you talk to buckeye fans, the florida game did not happen. :D

I was thinking of the regular season record, I wasnt aware he was taking the bowl games into consideration.

And that game actually took place on paper, and OSU was victorious.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)
I'm not sure I agree. McCarney did a lot more with much the same talent. Let's wait and see what Chizek can do for a year or two.

We don't have a quarterback anywhere near the talents of Rosenfels or Wallace. When you've got a four year starter increasing in interception numbers every year, now with 8 thru 5 games, you're in trouble.

BTW, There was a stat after the Nebraska game saying Meyer had passed for over 1,000 yards in his career against Nebby, with one passing TD to show for it.

McCarney did wonderful things, but the staff had started to grow complacent, and if he wasn't willing to clean house, something needed to happen.

I don't know if you've followed each game so far, but they've shown consistent improvement, especially with an offensive line completely devoid of talent. Our right tackle was playing QB in high school two years ago. Our center was our last scholarship offer. Our right guard walked on because he went to high school with Meyer and Bret wanted a familiar roommate. Our LT is a JUCO guy, and I think our LG *might* have been a two-star recruit.

Iowa State will come down with another win this year, I just don't know where.

In the first 1/3 of the Nebraska game, we saw what could happen when they execute the gameplan. Once again, turnovers f***ed us over.

That, and the inability to defend a halfback pass.