Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)
I just know that Tech being favored by 24.5 over ISU is a ridiculous number. Especially with Chizik having stopped Tech in the past.

We're gonna try to do the same thing we did to Nebraska. For the majority of the game, we held a 3:1 T.O.P. advantage.

Of course, Gene had some better defenders. How is Tech at creating turnovers?

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
so, what's up with niu this year? i haven't had a chance to follow them closely and just noticed they'd fallen to 1-4. i know they graduated some talented players, so was this expected?

Ya, they just suck.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 12:28 PM)
Last year in Madison was a 1 half aberration.

As for better opponents I think that needs to be played out, PSU and MSU are going to be about equal when it all plays out, and teams like Iowa, etc play up for Wisconsin, beating a top 10 team is a make or break game, so generally Wisconsin is seeing teams play at their peak.

Its not that I dont think Illinois is talented, I just dont see them being as talented as Wisconsin. Penn State was ranked high, but why?

It was nothing more than the belief that Morelli would take the next step with the defense and that they would therefore be a potential Big 10 contender.

Morelli could have won that game, he made costly mistakes at in opportune times.

I think Wisconsin is a bad match up for Illinois because Wisconsin has one of the the most high powered offense's in the nation and Illinois really has given up a good amount of points in almost every game.

Yeah...no

WTF?

Put down the koolaid. If you win that's fine, but try to learn a thing or two about college football before posting.

Edited by IlliniKrush

What are you talking about?

Unlike you Ive actually watched every Illini game:

MO: 40 points (Second highest scoring output for MO, scored less against 2 non BCS schools)

Syracuse: 20 points (Second highest scoring output for Syracuse, scored 0 against Iowa)

Penn State: 20 points (Only scored 14 against Michigan, other games have been against very poor teams)

So in your 1 other division 1 game you gave up 14, so I count: 1 good defensive performance and 3 performances where you let the other team score more than their average.

But I forgot, you probably count 20 against PSU, 20 against Syracuse, and 40 against MO as good defensive performances?

(EDIT)

Where have I said anything about Illinois not scoring?

I merely said that Illinois defense isnt anything to write home about.

Nice straw man.

Edited by Soxbadger

And so if I add in plays that Wisconsin should have made because of poor reads by the QB, can we change the score?

When you score points, you dont need to score more points. Thats what people dont seem to understand about programs like OSU. If they have a lead, they dont play the same way that they might have before because they want to shorten the game because at the end all that matters is the W.

Wisconsin gave up 34 to MSU, plenty of that were on a few plays with horrible tackles. If those plays dont count, then yesterday is a blow out.

But everything does count, and Wisconsin's special teams is going to be playing against the Illini, as well as their defense. So I dont see how that is irrelevant to a discussion about how many points Illinois has given up.

If anything special teams is one of the most important aspects of giving up points, because of field position. And you cant just discount bad turn overs by the offense either, that put the defense in a poor place.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 07:44 PM)
And so if I add in plays that Wisconsin should have made because of poor reads by the QB, can we change the score?

When you score points, you dont need to score more points. Thats what people dont seem to understand about programs like OSU. If they have a lead, they dont play the same way that they might have before because they want to shorten the game because at the end all that matters is the W.

Wisconsin gave up 34 to MSU, plenty of that were on a few plays with horrible tackles. If those plays dont count, then yesterday is a blow out.

But everything does count, and Wisconsin's special teams is going to be playing against the Illini, as well as their defense. So I dont see how that is irrelevant to a discussion about how many points Illinois has given up.

You are honestly comparing missed reads and missed tackles to counting fumble and punt returns TDs against a teams defense?

It is not irrelevant to a discussion on Wisconsin vs. Illinois, but it is certainly irrelevant when discussing the DEFENSE.

Do you realize you are counting a 100 yard fumble return in your argument against the Illinois DEFENSE?

Edited by WHarris1

Okay you got me, the fumble recovery is not really the defense's fault, the punt return is. I consider special teams coverage part of your defense. So just to make my argument fairer towards the Illini (not that I really think I need to my statement originally was "Illinois really has given up a good amount of points in almost every game."

20 points imo is a good amount of points to a team like Syracuse or PSU.

30 points imo is a good amount of points to MO.

If you want to argue thats not a good amount of points and that its far fetched to believe that Wisconsin could put up 30+ if Illinios scores 30, then feel free.

I never even said defense, it was one of your fellow Illini.

Hmm reading is fundamental.

(Got a little confusing in the middle, I deleted a bunch of junk)

Edited by Soxbadger

well, i can't say i've been hugely impressed with our defense this year, particularly the pass 'd' (outside of vontae). that said, donovan's passing ability hasn't really set the world on fire, either, so i guess those concerns kind of negate each other.

Yeah 20 points is a lot in a football game...get a grip.

And I'd love to know how Donovan and the Wisky offense is one of the best in the nation. They SUCKED against Iowa and lit up the Citadel, oh my I'm shaking in my boots, they may put up 60 on us. They are one of the best in the nation. And Illinois' defense sucks, they gave up a whopping 20 to a ranked Penn St team.

You clearly haven't watched every Illinois game, as the defense has been pretty solid this year. Leman, Vontae and co. are doing a nice job.

The two wisky games I've seen, they looked like horse s*** against Iowa on offense and against MSU they couldn't play any defense. Might want to stick to your own team's problems, if you even think they have any.

Illinois shouldn't be favored, the fact that an unranked team is favored over #5 in the nation is pretty silly. However, the idea that Wisconsin is some big bad team is pretty silly. Their offense was shut down by mighty Iowa, who gave up 38 points to Indiana at home this weekend. They gave up 31 points to the Citadel, Michigan State put up nearly 600 yards on their defense, and they haven't even seen a running game remotely close to as good as Illinois'. And this game is on the road in front of what will be a charged atmosphere. If Wisconsin plays Saturday like they have been all season, they'll lose by 10 points or 2 touchdowns. With that said, I think Wisky will step their game up and it will be a very close game, with home field being a big part in Illinois winning by a field goal.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 11:34 PM)
They are the 3rd best team Illinois plays in the league, besides Ohio State and Michigan. The exposition of the fraud that is Wisconsin (the level of luck they've had so far is incredible) begins on Saturday. As for part 2 of that....if Colorado can beat OU and Auburn can win at Florida, I think yes an undefeated Kentucky that beat Louisville when it was #9 and won at Arkansas, plus has the Heisman leader, deserves a better ranking.

Does it matter what Louisville was ranked when they lost to Kentucky? Louisville barely beat Middle Tenn. St. and lost to Syracuse. They aren't the #9 team in the country, nor close so stating their rank at that time is useless.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
The North might actually be on its way back, but there's still some glaring issues.

Missouri - Gary Pinkel.

Kansas - Haven't played anyone tougher than my high school this year, will get a nice test against K-State.

Kansas State - When Prince isn't busy making his assistant coaches run or scaring off players, he's done a nice job to dig out of the hole Snyder dug the team into.

Nebraska - Played worse each game this year.

Colorado - They've bought into Hawkins and could be North champs at the end of the year if the Oklahoma game is a true indicator

ISU - lacking seriously in talent, but ahead of where'd they'd be with McCarney

I'm not sold on Colorado. Their 2 losses are starting to look better, but I don't see them as much more than a 7 win team. I'd even be a little surprised if they got to 7 wins.

As for the Illinois-Wisconsin argument...

U of I is talented, but doesn't have a passing game with Juice is in. Wisconsin hasn't looked good, but to have them as an underdog is absurd. Illinois' d didn't look spectacular against Mizzou, but come to think of it Mizzou's offense appeared to have their worst day. Some of that credit has to go to the opposing d. They stopped the run very well, but their pass d was non existent. Wisconsin is a ballclub with a lot of returning starters that isn't going to fold in a close game, that's as much a factor as luck has claimed to be.

Also, I still don't think Penn State is the 3rd best team in the Big Ten. I don't see how you can't rate Wisconsin ahead of them because Penn State hasn't beaten a team of value and has lost to 2 unranked teams. Ohio St, Wisconsin, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, and Illinois all should be ahead of Penn State. Well, I could see putting PSU on par with MSU, but even then that's far from 3rd.