Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

asu-logo.jpg

Huge win tonight for ASU. HUGE game next week at Oregon. Personally...not sure ASU can pull it off. If they can stay close in the first half...maybe. But their secondary is so young...I have a feeling Dixon will have a field day.

All I know....if they get through this 4 game stretch at 3-1...they're sittin' pretty. I got my USC/ASU tix!!!!!

btw...Kenny's boy Kyle with the TD that iced it in the 4th. He's a pretty damn good returner as well.

Edited by Wanne

Some Big 12 thoughts for the few that care here:

The North is 8-8 vs. the South this year, with 8 games at home and 8 on the road.

Colorado went 3-0 vs. the South (vs. OU, @ Baylor, @ Tech), but is 0-2 against the North.

Texas is way overrated, their 3 conference wins have been over the 3 worst teams in the conference, and they barely beat Nebraska at home while everyone else has been slaughtering them. They should lose at Oklahoma State and could lose another game after that.

Other than the top 3 (OU, Mizzou, Kansas) and the bottom 3 (Nebraska, Baylor, Iowa St), the 4-9 teams are interchangable. Sort of like the SEC minus being vastly overrated.

Whoever wins the Big 12 has an extremely good shot at going to the title game. 3 teams are currently in the top 10 and if OU wins out to get to the Big 12 title game and Mizzou and Kansas don't lose until their matchup, the Big 12 champ will have a marquee win in the title game and a very good resume. I know it's asking quite a bit, but if it all sets up right it will be a mini playoff. Heck, of Ok State can go just 2-1 before meeting OU, that game could be the South title game at the end of the year.

Im lucky and have RCN so I get BTN.

But its pretty lame, I guess there is a clause that each Big 10 team has to be on BTN 1 time, and OSU had to be on this week or next (obviously UM v OSU will not be on BTN). Some think since OSU was on ABC the last few weeks they put this game on BTN so that they can have OSU the next few.

Not really sure Wisconsin has any chance (they looked good the last 2 weeks but so what), but still surprising its not on national tv.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 06:45 PM)
Im lucky and have RCN so I get BTN.

But its pretty lame, I guess there is a clause that each Big 10 team has to be on BTN 1 time, and OSU had to be on this week or next (obviously UM v OSU will not be on BTN). Some think since OSU was on ABC the last few weeks they put this game on BTN so that they can have OSU the next few.

Not really sure Wisconsin has any chance (they looked good the last 2 weeks but so what), but still surprising its not on national tv.

i think wisconsin has a chance, but they have to play their best game.

in terms of this game being on, i think abc wanted the illinois-osu game the following week so they could promo the hell out of osu-michigan. they did this last year with the osu-northwestern game.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)

in terms of this game being on, i think abc wanted the illinois-osu game the following week so they could promo the hell out of osu-michigan. they did this last year with the osu-northwestern game.

Boekman has to have a bad game for OSU to lose, which is quite possible. The wrinkle is that every week Tres puts something new in the game plan that the other team doesnt prepare for as well. This next game I expect to see more of Saine out of the backfield and also as a receiver. They will also focus on Ray Small's speed advantage over the Wisco DB's.

I dont really think it will matter much what OSU does on offense, they are going to score points. Wisconsin wont really stop them if they choose to run and do bubble screens etc, so i doubt that they do a lot of over the top passing just because it wont be necessary.

The only way Wisconsin wins is if their offense, specifically Donovan, does not make any stupid mistakes. They just can not turn the ball over, almost every drive will have to be some what productive, because I just cant see them stopping OSU to many times on defense. Hopefully they make OSU take long drives and maybe stop them for a fg a few times, but the offense is going to have to score points.

On that note, Lance Smith wont be playing, so it means PJ Hill will get 97% of the carries. I disagree with this completely as I feel that Bown/Landingham have much better bursts and after Hill wears on a defense, those guys look like they have 4.2 speed. Id like to see a 70/30 or even 60/40 distribution, because PJ just can not break the long run and Wisconsin will need a few big plays to really help themselves stay in the game.

Wisconsin generally plays OSU tough, just I have 0 faith in the defense after the first part of the season. So they are going to have to prove that they belong.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 06:49 PM)
Boekman has to have a bad game for OSU to lose, which is quite possible. The wrinkle is that every week Tres puts something new in the game plan that the other team doesnt prepare for as well. This next game I expect to see more of Saine out of the backfield and also as a receiver. They will also focus on Ray Small's speed advantage over the Wisco DB's.

yeah, there would have to be a turnover factor i think to help wisconsin. which could happen.

i don't expect it, though. osu looked really, really good against penn state. i think they had some of the best play-calling i've seen in the tressel era in that game. the touchdown to hartline was a thing of beauty. great in concept and called at the perfect time.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
Michigan up to #12 in the BCS, if only had the made the last field goal against App St., still surprising even though this year is been full of upsets.

Absolutely too high in the polls for them to be. Check out their computer rankings vs some of the people they are above. They shouldnt have cracked the top 15

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)

Do they really need to promo that game? This has been an important, end of season game for how long? It seems a bit odd.

I just want to add that the big ten network is complete ass, i mean the camera angles suck, the announcers put you to sleep, its just plain pathetic. I was watching the Illini - Ball State game this past weekend and they kept the camera on Juice even though it was a CLEAR handoff and they forgot to switch cameras to the guy running with the ball. The whole program is just sloppy and that should be Comcasts main beef with it.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 11:33 PM)
Do they really need to promo that game? This has been an important, end of season game for how long? It seems a bit odd.

i agree with you but i can't really speak to the reasoning behind it. i thought the same last year when ohio state-northwestern was picked as the 330 national game the week before osu-mich. that game was just a four-hour buckeye-wolverine commercial.

two of the last three osi-ill games were really close. Last year it was a primetime national evening game. I don't think its a primer for osu-mich, I think it has enough of a draw on its own.

And as for the Big Ten production value - can you honestly say that Comcast is better? I can't stand the ACC and PAC-10 games they produce - it looks very amateurish. I've been pretty impressed with BTN so far. considering they're working on what, their 12th week on the job? Take away Di Retardo from the expert desk and they'd be even better.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 07:28 PM)
two of the last three osi-ill games were really close. Last year it was a primetime national evening game. I don't think its a primer for osu-mich, I think it has enough of a draw on its own.

And as for the Big Ten production value - can you honestly say that Comcast is better? I can't stand the ACC and PAC-10 games they produce - it looks very amateurish. I've been pretty impressed with BTN so far. considering they're working on what, their 12th week on the job? Take away Di Retardo from the expert desk and they'd be even better.

Comcast doesnt carry BTN,. thats why we are pissed

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)
Absolutely too high in the polls for them to be. Check out their computer rankings vs some of the people they are above. They shouldnt have cracked the top 15

Why is that too high? Other teams have been losing left and right. Michigan has won seven in a row. I don't see how you can just eliminate Michigan solely because of their start. USC lost in a game where they were favored by more than 40 points, the largest such spread in college football history, yet they only fall a few places.

Michigan is far from the team that started this season. I know they have no chance at a National Championship, but a Big Ten Championship is a real possibility and they could end up in the Top 5 when all is said and done. One week at a time, but its possible when they start clicking on all cylinders and have a healthy Henne and Hart.

QUOTE(Brian @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
You and I are the only ones that realize this.

Hopefully teams will keep thinking Appy St., Appy St. as we keep on beating them.

Getting Henne and Hart back and then clicking on all cylinders will be the key. I still think they are a game away from doing so, but they are certainly peaking at the right time.