Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 12:34 AM)
Having been to games at both stadiums, I'll never understand how anybody ever wins at LSU or Ohio State, and when you consider Zook has won at both stadiums against #1 teams (at eventual co-champ LSU in 2003 with Florida and yesterday of course), I give him a ton of credit. Illinois is going to be a problem for a while in the Big 10 though, Zook is building a team of all speed in a league that doesn't have teams with the personnel to handle it. Even Ohio State, at home, had problems with a Illinois roster that is still not nearly a finished product talentwise.

They should continue their resurgence, but dont make the mistake of thinking that most of the Big Ten will stand put. OSU was rebuilding this year and still almost went unbeaten. Not to mention they are bringing in one of the top recruiting classes in the country next year, clearly their best since 2002.

#1 ILB – Etienne Sabino

#2 OT – Michael Brewster

#3 OT – J.B. Shugarts

#2 ILB – Andrew Sweat

#6 OT – Mike Adams

#8 TE – Jake Stoneburner

#15 ATH – DeVoe Torrence

#10 CB – Travis Howard

#20 ATH – LaMaar Thomas

#22 WR – DeVier Posey

#11 DT – Garrett Goebel

#24 OLB – Nathan Williams

#14 TE – Nic DiLillo

#8 K – Ben Buchanan

And this is before the expected commitments of super quarterback Terrelle Pryor and perhaps No. 3 cornerback Brandon Harris. Ohio State currently has eight ESPN 150 players in the class, out of just 14 commitments. Only Miami (11) and Notre Dame (9) have more top players and they need 21 athletes in their classes to make those levels. In fact, if you look at sheer percentages, no team in the nation can match Ohio State’s recruiting efficiency numbers: 57 percent of the Buckeyes recruits are ESPN 150 players.

That’s right. College football power brokers such as LSU (one ESPN 150 out of 19 commits), Nick Saban’s Alabama (3 for 21) and Oklahoma (6 for 16) don’t come close. Only one other program is above 50 percent – the aforementioned Miami. Southern Cal has seven of 14 making the list.

Put on top of that the 20 (without early jumps) returning starters for next years team, a QB entering his second season at the helm, and the insertion of several key players like Mr Ohio Brandon Saine who played a very small role this year due to injury.

All over the Big Ten teams will be improving, and dont overlook one of the best young QB's in the country in Ann Arbor. The Big Ten is going to resurge as a whole, and frankly its going to make things VERY interesting the next several years, and its going to be very good to watch, but also may hurt the national championship hopes of many extremely talented teams because the Big Ten will beat up on each other frequently. This is also one of the reasons that I wish there was a Big Ten Conf Championship game. Its going to be a very interesting 2008 especially with OSU facing off vs USC the next two seasons.

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 10:47 AM)
They should continue their resurgence, but dont make the mistake of thinking that most of the Big Ten will stand put. OSU was rebuilding this year and still almost went unbeaten. Not to mention they are bringing in one of the top recruiting classes in the country next year, clearly their best since 2002.

Illinois was coming off a 2 win season and in all honesty are a couple of mistakes away from being 11-0 right now.. They already beat Ohio State in the Horseshoe with a team full of youngsters.. I don't think it really matters if the other teams improve or what not, Illinois will most certainly be better next season with more good recruits coming in.. Im not taking OSU as a joke, but Illinois is quickly rising to the top of the Big 10 and the way things have looked next season should be even better than this one.. and this season has been amazing to see, as long as we don't have a mental lapse against Northwestern

I dont really think Illinois will improve that drastically next year.

First, as Rock pointed out, OSU is going to be devastatingly better. They started this year only ranked 11 and next year most likely will start off in the top 5. They return almost every important player (maybe lose a Laurinatis), and many of the young guys like Saine, etc will be better.

Second, Illinois had a very favorable Big 10 schedule this year. They played Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, all at home. They only had OSU on the road. Now I dont know the schedule for next year (tried to find it), but conceivably Illinois will have to play @ Michigan, @ Wisconsin, @ PSU. Wisconsin lost 0 at home this year (hasnt lost at home in 2 seasons I believe now) and PSU only lost 1 game at home to OSU.

Take a look:

09/27/08 at Penn State * University Park, Pa. TBA

10/04/08 at Michigan * Ann Arbor, Mich. TBA

10/11/08 vs. MINNESOTA * MEMORIAL STADIUM TBA

10/18/08 vs. INDIANA * MEMORIAL STADIUM TBA

10/25/08 at Wisconsin * Madison, Wis. TBA

11/01/08 vs. Iowa * MEMORIAL STADIUM TBA

11/15/08 vs. OHIO STATE * MEMORIAL STADIUM TBA

My prediction right now is:

1. OSU - very hard to pick against with the amount of returning players combined with the success this year.

2. Wisconsin- will return almost every important starter, and gain Lance Smith on away games.

3. Illinois- Could do better, but the schedule is very difficult. Also note its a NU skip year.

4. Michigan- yeah i know its crazy that UM is 4th, but the loss of Hart/Henne makes it hard to pick them over the above teams.

And Im hearing if OSU beats UM, Illinois will go to the Cap 1 bowl, if they do not get a BCS bid. So there is still an outside chance if some teams lose and Illinois wins, that Illinois could get a BCS bowl. Or atleast thats what the people in charge of the bowls are saying.

ttp://blogs.jsonline.com/badgers/archive/2007/11/12/uw-remains-in-running-for-outback-bowl.aspx

If Illinois loses though it could drop all the way to Alamo bowl.

(Quick Edit)

The reason why if Illinois and Wisconsin finish with similar records a bowl may pick Wisconsin is because of tickets. Wisconsin always sells out, they have gone to the Cap 1 bowl 2 times in a row and both times bought out the entire ticket allotment. Also Wisconsin is responsible for the biggest revenue/attendance games in UNLV history, and some other teams that they travel too, so the bowl games often select Wisconsin for their fans.

I know Illinois would sell out, but some times those bowl people do stupid things.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 08:06 AM)
With a win, Illinois ties for 2nd in the Big Ten. They're going to the Outback/CO.

With the exception of the Rose bowl. you're position in the Big ten matters not as much as how much of a TV and, more importantly, ticket draw you can be.

A bowl can pick any bowl eligible team within one win of the top remaining team. For instance: If Michigan wins on Saturday, ILL will fall quickly... No matter what they do against NW. A 9-win Mich gets the rose bowl. a 10 win OSU will be chosen for the Cap One bowl. Leaving the other 3 8-3 teams (potentially 9-3 teams) to fight it out for the lone remaining Jan 1 bowl.

Rose: Mich

Cap One: OSU

Outback: PSU/Wisky/ILL

Alamo: PSU/Wisky/ILL

Champs: ILL

It comes down to $$$. PSU and Wisconsin can guarantee fannies in the seats and eyeballs on the tube. ILL can't, or can't to the same degree that PSU and Wisconsin can.

Michigan "doesn't travel as well" after a loss to OSU, or at least that was the reasoning a couple of years ago when Iowa got an outback bowl bid over Mich, so an OSU win could really help the ILL. But I would still think that an 8 win Mich (with a hopefully healthy Henne and Hart) would be more attractive to Bowl Organizers than ILL.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
Rock,

I love Mallet, and probably he will be the #1 pick over all some day.

I just dont love a Soph starting at QB against teams like OSU, Wisconsin, Illinois. Not to mention Arrington will be gone, and judging from the Wisconsin game Manningham will be gone as well.

Very true, I just love that kids size, arm and attitude. UM has a bit of rebuilding to go into, and we'll see what kind of a coach Lloyd is when teams like OSU, ILL, PSU and Wisco are stepping up their games.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)
With the exception of the Rose bowl. you're position in the Big ten matters not as much as how much of a TV and, more importantly, ticket draw you can be.

A bowl can pick any bowl eligible team within one win of the top remaining team. For instance: If Michigan wins on Saturday, ILL will fall quickly... No matter what they do against NW. A 9-win Mich gets the rose bowl. a 10 win OSU will be chosen for the Cap One bowl. Leaving the other 3 8-3 teams (potentially 9-3 teams) to fight it out for the lone remaining Jan 1 bowl.

Rose: Mich

Cap One: OSU

Outback: PSU/Wisky/ILL

Alamo: PSU/Wisky/ILL

Champs: ILL

It comes down to $$. PSU and Wisconsin can guarantee fannies in the seats and eyeballs on the tube. ILL can't, or can't to the same degree that PSU and Wisconsin can.

Michigan "doesn't travel as well" after a loss to OSU, or at least that was the reasoning a couple of years ago when Iowa got an outback bowl bid over Mich, so an OSU win could really help the ILL. But I would still think that an 8 win Mich (with a hopefully healthy Henne and Hart) would be more attractive to Bowl Organizers than ILL.

If it does indeed come down to money(Though there was a CO BOWL rep on TV this week talking about how they would choose the best team for their bowl and money would come second. Yes I realize that he paid to say that, but I would like to see some examples that contradict his statement.), Illinois, having by the best resume of the teams involved, could very easily be placed in the Capitol One Bowl, if their opponent is Florida at least.

Speaking of UM, we might have some fun coaching changes this offseason. If Carr is let go, you could see Les Miles at UM. You could see Tommy Tuberville at Texas A&M. It would also seem to make sense that you could see Steve Spurrier at LSU, that would be scary. You might also see Bobby Petrino come back from the pro game to coach Auburn. Then again you might see none of this. :drink

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
Speaking of UM, we might have some fun coaching changes this offseason. If Carr is let go, you could see Les Miles at UM. You could see Tommy Tuberville at Texas A&M. It would also seem to make sense that you could see Steve Spurrier at LSU, that would be scary. You might also see Bobby Petrino come back from the pro game to coach Auburn. Then again you might see none of this. :drink

I dont see Carr being gone as usual, but I would be surprised to see Les Miles leave LSU at this point.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 03:20 PM)
If Michigan wins, OSU could still get into the BCS.

Which would mean:

Rose: UM

BCS at Large: OSU

Cap 1: Illinois

Most dont see OSU not being in the BCS, regardless of a loss just because they bring in huge revenue.

They dropped to 7th with one loss, They'll drop to outside the top 12 with 2 losses.

Yes but if they are in the top 14 they may be selected.

If other teams in the top 14 lose (which they have to because some of them play eachother) it is hard to believe OSU wont be top 14.

And even harder to believe that they wont be in a BCS game if the BCS game can choose them.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
Second, Illinois had a very favorable Big 10 schedule this year. They played Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, all at home. They only had OSU on the road. Now I dont know the schedule for next year (tried to find it), but conceivably Illinois will have to play @ Michigan, @ Wisconsin, @ PSU. Wisconsin lost 0 at home this year (hasnt lost at home in 2 seasons I believe now) and PSU only lost 1 game at home to OSU.

Take a look:

09/27/08 at Penn State * University Park, Pa. TBA

10/04/08 at Michigan * Ann Arbor, Mich. TBA

10/11/08 vs. MINNESOTA * MEMORIAL STADIUM TBA

10/18/08 vs. INDIANA * MEMORIAL STADIUM TBA

10/25/08 at Wisconsin * Madison, Wis. TBA

11/01/08 vs. Iowa * MEMORIAL STADIUM TBA

11/15/08 vs. OHIO STATE * MEMORIAL STADIUM TBA

My prediction right now is:

1. OSU - very hard to pick against with the amount of returning players combined with the success this year.

2. Wisconsin- will return almost every important starter, and gain Lance Smith on away games.

3. Illinois- Could do better, but the schedule is very difficult. Also note its a NU skip year.

4. Michigan- yeah i know its crazy that UM is 4th, but the loss of Hart/Henne makes it hard to pick them over the above teams.

You only listed 7 Big Ten games. Northwestern plays Illinois every year. They will play in Evanston on the 22nd next season. Also, Northwestern will be tough to beat in Evanston next year. Senior QB/RB combo returning. The Cats are 6-5 with 4 4th quarter leads blown and Sutton, their best player, being out for a solid chunk of the season. Not that anyone believes me anyway lol.

As to the bowl selection -

I understand the money aspect, but money and viewership can only take you so far. The bowl process has to have SOME legitimacy to it, otherwise why play the season if it always comes down to the amount of people that watch the game? Might as well pencil PSU, OSU and UM in the top bowls because 100k people watch their games live in person. And Soxbadger, no offense, cuz I know you think Wisky is the best team ever, but their following is just as big as Illinois, probably less. Wisky has had a good run for the last 3-4 years, so they've gotten more pub, but I would be willing to bet that more people would watch a good up and coming Illini team over a pre-season top 5 team that tanked. Ditto with Michigan (though obviously the initial size of the fan base is pretty large in comparison). On a national scene what looks more enticing: overrated teams or an unkown who just knocked off the "best defense ever (stupid ESPN analyst)" on their own turf? I guarantee you the bowl reps are praying that they can align a Florida/Illinois game. That'd get just as much pub as the NC game (as an aside, did you know that Zooks record at Florida is only one game worse than Meyer in the same amount of time? It's like 16-8 to 17-7 - obviously the NC helped, but so did getting a ridiculously talenting roster handed to you....but anyway).

As to Illinois next year -

say all you want about the schedule, but I'm pretty sure the Illini went into the toughest place in the world to play and simply out played and out coached a superior football team. You know what I've been most happy about following that game: not a single "expert" called it a fluke or said that it was OSU looking ahead to Michigan. Of course OSU will reload nest year and be favored again, but how could you not have Illinois on the short list of conference contenders? Their big three will most likely return (not sure about Mendenhall) and highly ranked recruits are also flooding into Champaign. The difference being that those highly ranked recruits will most likely play whereas at OSU they'll be #2 or #3 on the depth chart. I'd be dumb to say that Illinois is the sure bet when Michigan and OSU are always full of talent, but come on, give Illinois a LITTLE credit.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
As to the bowl selection -

I understand the money aspect, but money and viewership can only take you so far. The bowl process has to have SOME legitimacy to it, otherwise why play the season if it always comes down to the amount of people that watch the game? Might as well pencil PSU, OSU and UM in the top bowls because 100k people watch their games live in person. And Soxbadger, no offense, cuz I know you think Wisky is the best team ever, but their following is just as big as Illinois, probably less. Wisky has had a good run for the last 3-4 years, so they've gotten more pub, but I would be willing to bet that more people would watch a good up and coming Illini team over a pre-season top 5 team that tanked. Ditto with Michigan (though obviously the initial size of the fan base is pretty large in comparison). On a national scene what looks more enticing: overrated teams or an unkown who just knocked off the "best defense ever (stupid ESPN analyst)" on their own turf? I guarantee you the bowl reps are praying that they can align a Florida/Illinois game. That'd get just as much pub as the NC game (as an aside, did you know that Zooks record at Florida is only one game worse than Meyer in the same amount of time? It's like 16-8 to 17-7 - obviously the NC helped, but so did getting a ridiculously talenting roster handed to you....but anyway).

Well said..

I would think that with Illinois/OSU on ESPN the other day it probably opened some eyes that maybe weren't aware of whats going on in Illinois. I would think that the turn around from last year and the success that has been this season, a 9-3 Illinois team that just knocked off Ohio State in their own backyard would prolly be a nice draw.. Especially if they get paird with Florida..

9-3 Florida VS 9-3 Illinois would be an awesome match up.. the score of that game could possibly be in the 40's for both teams.. they both run the spread and both have a mobile quarterback.. That would be a great game to watch

However, this is based on us beating Northwestern

And Soxbadger, no offense, cuz I know you think Wisky is the best team ever, but their following is just as big as Illinois, probably less.

I dont think they are the best team ever.

What I do know is that Wisconsin has a national reputation for bringing fans to the game that Illinois does not have.

You can ask multiple people from Iowa, Indiana, etc. Wisconsin is very well known for traveling, they sell out Hawaii games, UNLV games, etc.

Illinois just does not do that, and it has nothing to do with the team. It has to do with your fans.

How many games did Illinois sell out this year?

http://www.lasvegas.net/Sam-Boyd-Stadium-info.htm

The stadium celebrated its 25 th anniversary in the fall of 1996 by hosting the UNLV vs. Wisconsin football game with 41,091 fans attending the event, setting the record for the state's largest attendance at an outdoor sporting event.

Thats over 11 years ago.

Wisconsin travels really well, it has nothing to do with the players on the field, and everything to do with the fans of the team.

(Edit)

And why are you even arguing against me, I posted an article that stated Illinois would be picked ahead of Wisconsin by Cap 1, and may even get a BCS at large.

But it doesnt change the fact if I was a bowl and had to sell out that I would bet on Wisconsin fans over Illinois fans.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 04:22 PM)
Well said..

I would think that with Illinois/OSU on ESPN the other day it probably opened some eyes that maybe weren't aware of whats going on in Illinois. I would think that the turn around from last year and the success that has been this season, a 9-3 Illinois team that just knocked off Ohio State in their own backyard would prolly be a nice draw.. Especially if they get paird with Florida..

9-3 Florida VS 9-3 Illinois would be an awesome match up.. the score of that game could possibly be in the 40's for both teams.. they both run the spread and both have a mobile quarterback.. That would be a great game to watch

However, this is based on us beating Northwestern

Or it could be low scoring since both defenses know how to play the spread.

Nah, prolly not. Tebow vs. Juice. Harvin vs. Benn. Mendenhall vs.....uh...Tebow, i guess. Me likey.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)
But it doesnt change the fact if I was a bowl and had to sell out that I would bet on Wisconsin fans over Illinois fans.

That's why I'm arguing against you. I just don't think thats the case this year. And yeah, Illinois didn't sell out their stadium every game - kind of tough to do when you've one like 5 games the last 4 years. But that was 2 months ago. Ever since they've gotten sellouts and big draws (two national TV primetime games no less). And Illinois doesn't travel well? You don't think 50k fans would travel to Florida to watch a team that hasn't been good in years? Come on...

This year I think it has less to do with tradition or past years success - its all about this year. And I think national viewers are going to want to watch an unknown underdog versus an underachieving (or overrated) team.