Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 01:10 AM)
Glad to know we shouldn't even try.

How does it look better for ISU if MU or KU take it? It doesn't matter either way, really.

because it shows the Big 12 north is more dangerous than nebraska for once.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oklahoma's road record this year is pretty bad. They won at Tulsa, whoopdeedoo. Lost @ Colorado, almost lost @ Iowa State, and lost @ Tech. Pathetic. I still hope they get to the Big 12 title game because I want Mizzou to get revenge. Of course, I'd be foolish to look ahead. I feel like mentioning that the best record of a team that Kansas has beaten this year is 6-5. Yeah.

Tech took a knee from shotgun, wtf.

Tech finally played up to their potential. The defense actually was aggressive and showed up for 3 1/2 quarters. Great to see. To bad they couldn't have shown up against Colorado, Missou, Texas, or Oklahoma State. Ah well, a Crabtree drop against Oklahoma State from being 9-3 and everyone returns next year. I'm excited.

In PHF only cares news, UNC is close to re-signing Butch Davis long term. He will be making about 3M a year with incentives, and John Blake is getting a 25% pay increase which he more than deserves.

Arkansas was really after him. Butch is from Arkansas and is best friends with the billionare Waltons, Tyson, and a few other millionares.

Butch has something special going on at UNC. UNC will be 4-8 this year with 6 losses coming by a combined 24 points. This all coming with a red-shirt freshmen QB, all freshmen RB's, sophomore leading receiver, 2/3 frosh LB's, both frosh CB's, freshmen safety, and several frosh DL. He also has another top 25 recruiting class building.

That and UNC is going to begin expanding Kenan stadium to over 70,000 very soon.

Just woke up from the Big Ten championship celebration. 3 titles in a row and the favorite for it next year. Nothing is better than dominating Michigan and forcing their coach into retirement. That was probably the easiest and least in doubt victory in the Tressel era. The battle of the RB's with ankle injuries was about as one-sided as it could be, and the big guys both on defense and offense pushed Michigan back all day. I think Jake Long had more sacks of Henne than most of the d line of OSU. Good bye LLLLLLoyd, this buckeye will miss you.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 12:49 PM)
Just woke up from the Big Ten championship celebration. 3 titles in a row and the favorite for it next year. Nothing is better than dominating Michigan and forcing their coach into retirement. That was probably the easiest and least in doubt victory in the Tressel era. The battle of the RB's with ankle injuries was about as one-sided as it could be, and the big guys both on defense and offense pushed Michigan back all day. I think Jake Long had more sacks of Henne than most of the d line of OSU. Good bye LLLLLLoyd, this buckeye will miss you.

You smell that??? That's Illinois and Indiana getting better with their Old Oaken Bucket and Sweet Sioux Tomahawk at the ready.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 08:51 PM)
You smell that??? That's Illinois and Indiana getting better with their Old Oaken Bucket and Sweet Sioux Tomahawk at the ready.

Indiana?! It's crazy enough they are going to a bowl game again, I don't know if I could take the craziness of them winning the Big Ten.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)
Indiana?! It's crazy enough they are going to a bowl game again, I don't know if I could take the craziness of them winning the Big Ten.

Its nice to see IU going bowling, but its going to take alot to take down the big ten title. Especially in the next few seasons.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:42 AM)
Its nice to see IU going bowling, but its going to take alot to take down the big ten title. Especially in the next few seasons.

I'm not saying they are going to win the big ten, but they are improving....

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
I'm not saying they are going to win the big ten, but they are improving....

Its great to see. Im a HUGE fan of coach Hep and had the pleasure to meet him while at Miami. Its great to see something he tried to build come about even after his passing.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
I don't think anyone is going to beat out tOSU for the title for the next 3 or 4 years. The recruiting classes Tressel has lined up are incredible.

Its going to be tough, right now we sit at about the #2 class in the country for next year, and still have several players that are targeted and have not signed including the #1 qb in the country. You never know though, recruits are recruits, they could always get the Charlie Weis syndrome.

2007 All-Big Ten Conference Football Team

As selected by CONFERENCE COACHES

(Players in ALL CAPS have 2008 eligibility)

FIRST TEAM OFFENSE

QB: Chad Henne, Michigan

RB: RASHARD MENDENHALL, Illinois

RB: CHRIS "BEANIE" WELLS, Ohio State

WR: JAMES HARDY, Indiana

WR: MARIO MANNINGHAM, Michigan Receiver

C: A.Q. SHIPLEY, Penn State

G: Martin O'Donnell, Illinois

G: Adam Kraus, Michigan

T: Jake Long, Michigan

T: Kirk Barton, Ohio State

TE: TRAVIS BECKUM, Wisconsin

K: Taylor Mehlhaff, Wisconsin

SECOND TEAM OFFENSE

QB: KELLEN LEWIS, Indiana

RB: Mike Hart, Michigan

RB: JAVON RINGER, Michigan State

WR: DEVIN THOMAS, Michigan State

WR: Dorien Bryant, Purdue

C: RYAN MCDONALD, Illinois

G: RICH OHRNBERGER, Penn State

G: KRAIG URBIK, Wisconsin

T: XAVIER FULTON, Illinois

T: ALEX BOONE, Ohio State

TE: Dustin Keller, Purdue

K: AUSTIN STARR, Indiana

FIRST TEAM DEFENSE

LINE: GREG MIDDLETON, Indiana

LINE: MITCH KING, Iowa

LINE: VERNON GHOLSTON, Ohio State

LINE: MAURICE EVANS, Penn State

LB: J Leman, Illinois

LB: JAMES LAURINAITIS, Ohio State

LB: Dan Connor, Penn State

SEC: VONTAE DAVIS, Illinois

SEC: MALCOLM JENKINS, Ohio State

SEC: JUSTIN KING, Penn State

SEC: JACK IKEGWUONU, Wisconsin

P: JEREMY BOONE, Penn State

SECOND TEAM DEFENSE

LINE: TERRANCE TAYLOR, Michigan

LINE: Jonal Saint-Dic, Michigan State

LINE: Cliff Avril, Purdue

LINE: MATT SHAUGHNESSY, Wisconsin

LB: Shawn Crable, Michigan

LB: MARCUS FREEMAN, Ohio State

LB: SEAN LEE, Penn State

DB: Tracy Porter, Indiana

DB: Charles Godfrey, Iowa

DB: Jamar Adams, Michigan

DB: Dominique Barber, Minnesota

P: Ken DeBauche, Wisconsin

HONORABLE MENTION: ILLINOIS: WILL DAVIS, Kevin Mitchell, Chris Norwell, Jason Reda, ISIAH "JUICE" WILLIAMS; INDIANA: John Sandberg; IOWA: RYAN DONAHUE, RAFAEL EUBANKS, Mike Humpal, Ken Iwebema, Bryan Mattison, SETH OLSEN, Albert Young; MICHIGAN: JUSTIN BOREN, Brandent Englemon, Morgan Trent; MICHIGAN STATE: Ervin Baldwin, Jehuu Caulcrick, Kellen Davis; MINNESOTA: JUSTIN KUCEK; NORTHWESTERN: JOHN GILL, Adam Kadela, Trevor Rees, TYRELL SUTTON; OHIO STATE: TODD BOECKMAN, KURT COLEMAN, BRIAN ROBISKIE, ANDERSON RUSSELL, A.J. TRAPASSO, DONALD WASHINGTON; PENN STATE: GERALD CADOGAN, JOSH GAINES, ANTHONY SCIRROTTO; PURDUE: ANTHONY HEYGOOD, CURTIS PAINTER, SEAN SESTER, Terrell Vinson; WISCONSIN: SHANE CARTER, JONATHAN CASILLAS, Marcus Coleman, Tyler Donovan, Nick Hayden, Paul Hubbard.

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: RASHARD MENDENHALL, Illinois

OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE YEAR: Jake Long, Michigan

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: JAMES LAURINAITIS, Ohio State

DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE YEAR: VERNON GHOLSTON, Ohio State

FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR: ARRELIOUS BENN, Illinois

Allow me to be a homer for a minute, but I think Austin Starr should have made the first team.

Starr:

Pts FGA FGM FG% LongFG XPA XPM XP%

102 21 19 90.5 49 45 45 100.0

Mehlhaff

Pts FGA FGM FG% LongFG XPA XPM XP%

100 24 20 83.3 51 41 40 97.6

I guess looking at it they're pretty darn close, but I think hitting the winning FG in a rivalry game should net you something. :P Then again, the voting was probably done before that.

Reda was better than both of them, but Illinois cleaned up in the awards so I can't complain. And would somebody like to explain to me why MIKE HART (consensus Big 10 2nd team) is a Doak Walker award finalist over consensus Big 10 offensive player of the year Rashard Mendenhall, who unlike Hart stayed healthy for his team all season and generally had a better season? Talk about pathetic.