Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
Brian, the benefit of Illinois getting into the BCS is that it will bump Michigan up a bowl or two. Chance is pretty good Michigan will end up in Orlando in the Capitol One Bowl if Illinois bumps into the BCS. Problem is, how do the Illini get in. There are only two at large bids, right? As of now, it seems Hawaii will be guaranteed a spot. Georgia should get the other. Or am I missing two bids?

There are 4 at-large bids.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
Missing two. They added a 5th BCS Bowl last year(The NC game is now its own entity), a big part of that because the Rose Bowl wanted to preserve its BT/PT match-up(Although moreso because someone will be making millions of more dollars).

Refresh my memory. A few years ago the Rose Bowl did not get their matchup. I think Iowa landed elsewhere in the BCS, but I cannot recall the details. Anyone remember the circumstances??

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 10:03 PM)
Refresh my memory. A few years ago the Rose Bowl did not get their matchup. I think Iowa landed elsewhere in the BCS, but I cannot recall the details. Anyone remember the circumstances??

The Rose Bowl hosted the national title game one year, didn't it?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)
Well, here is the biggest Oklahoma fan next saturday. OU beats Mizzou and the bucks vs WVU in the national title game.

I'm #2 biggest then, since tOSu in the title game means Illinois in the Rose Bowl. The Illini are already #15 in the BCS, and are a lock to move up at least to the necessary #14 spot to be eligible with them not playing and so many high ranked teams in the title games next week (OU would fall behind Illinois with their loss, plus Tennessee and BC are just ahead of Illinois, and at least one of them will lose).

BOOMER SOONER!!

Oh, and KU is in trouble in their bowl game. Their defense is slow and can't tackle, and if you pressure Reesing inside, he's nothing. The only reason that game ever even got interesting was Mizzou layed off the blitz in the 4th quarter for some reason. KU is a product of a pathetic schedule if I've ever seen it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

we didn't layoff the blitz we just have a pretty weak secondary. Ziggy hood was the only dlineman getting pressure in the 4th. Zo williams didn't play great. Our offense should've scored more, f'n penalties. Here's what kU is: an incredibly disciplined, well rounded team with a pretty good QB. And a team that consistent can make teams beat themselves.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 11:43 PM)
we didn't layoff the blitz we just have a pretty weak secondary. Ziggy hood was the only dlineman getting pressure in the 4th. Zo williams didn't play great. Our offense should've scored more, f'n penalties. Here's what kU is: an incredibly disciplined, well rounded team with a pretty good QB. And a team that consistent can make teams beat themselves.

Exactly...KU made hardly any mistakes, Mizzou was penalized up the arse, and still beat KU. I think that game showed more of how good Mizzou is than how bad KU is.

That being said, against an SEC team, KU will probably get it's arse handed to 'em.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 12:41 AM)
Local news here saying Ferentz has been offered the Michigan job. Better yet, conjecture on MGoBlog that he may have accepted.

Yep, people close to the program in Chambana are saying the reason Ellington and Ford jumped ship is Ferentz is doing the same.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 04:13 AM)
Yeah, Illinois fans should be LSU fans for the same reason. Probably Va Tech fans as well.

This is one Illinois fan that will most certainly not be rooting for LSU. If both my teams make it to BCS bowls, I'm not sure what I'll do, but it's gonna be a fun early January!

Go Vols!!! :headbang

tennessee-vols-football.gif

NIU football coach Joe Novak is retiring today, there is a press conference at 3 pm to make it official and he's told the team. It's a damn shame he's leaving after his only losing season this entire decade (and 6 of the 10 losses were by a touchdown or less, despite the team having over 2 dozen players from the 2 deep get injured and only 9 seniors, so that's even deceptive), but he left the program in about 1,000 times better shape than he found it. Hopefully, his 2 wishes are honored in 2008, as a team that should be very healthy and definitely talented has a shot at that elusive MAC Title, and subsequently hopefully we finally get the football team their indoor practice faciility in DeKalb. I am VERY interested to see where the coaching search leads, I'd be lying if I said I had any clue in terms of names right now. I know one thing though, there are only 10 open scholarships in this recruiting class so it's a small class either way, thus I hope our really good athletic director, Jim Phillips, takes his time and finds the right guy.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

miZZou...

some people are worried that if we lose that we wouldn't even get a BCS bowl...but I'm pretty sure that would cause too much of an uproar, plus we are a pretty fun team to watch. If we don't win, I hope we play an SEC team and beat the hell out of them because I really hate that conference.

Here is a pretty interesting look at how recruiting rankings matter. This is the average ranking over the past 5 years of teams recruiting classes in the top 25.

1. Missouri - 46th

2. West Virginia - 44th

3. Ohio State - 11th

4. Georgia - 5th

5. Kansas - 62nd

6. Virginia Tech - 20th

7. LSU - 4th

8. USC - 1st

9. Oklahoma - 9th

10. Florida - 2nd

11. Boston College - 49th

12. Hawaii - 85th

13. Arizona State - 38th

14. Tennessee - 7th

15. Illinois - 37th

16. Clemson - 28th

17. Oregon - 30th

18. Wisconsin - 40th

19. BYU - 51st

20. Texas - 6th

21. USF - 61st

22. Virginia - 24th

23. Cincinnati - 67th

24. Auburn - 13th

25. Boise - 69th

UNC is 17th overall :-(.

24th in the nation this year with blaine gabbert and a four star TE. Nicely enough we have most of our star players being juniors, we are just losing T-Rucker, Pig Brown, and Zo Williams and will franklin, 4 great players, no doubt, but so many have stepped up. Maclin is a RS-frosh, TTemple might get a med. redshirt and be able to play, Chase Coffman/Daniel-both juniors.