Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well if today taught you anything, it is this: Don't play anybody. Kansas did it and is going to be rewarded with a BCS bid, Ohio State did it and is going to be #1 tomorrow, and Hawaii did it and it is going to send a team that would go 7-5, 8-4 at best in a BCS league to a BCS game without a loss. Gotta love this system.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 03:17 AM)
Still dreaming of Roses though, cmon Rose Bowl committee preserve the tradition :)

It's virtually assured.... Their other choices are ASU (they don't want a Pac 10 conference game), Hawaii (No chance), Kansas (Hawaii of the midwest), WVU (coming off a loss to Wanny).

The only danger is if UGa is in the championship. OSU will be one, giving Rose the first replacement pick... and the most lucrative matchup would be LSU-USC, which might be better than the championship game)

I can't decide what Hawaii win impresses me most

vs. FCS Northern Colorado (who went 1-11): 63-6

at 5-7 Louisiana Tech: 45-44

at 2-10 UNLV: 49-14

vs. FCS Charleston Southern (who went 5-6): 66-10

at 1-11 Idaho: 48-10

vs. 2-10 Utah State: 52-37

at 5-7 San Jose State: 42-35 in OT

vs. 4-9 New Mexico State: 50-13

vs. 8-4 Fresno State: 37-30

at 6-6 Nevada: 28-26

vs. 10-2 Boise State: 39-27

vs. 4-9 Washington: 35-28

Joliet Catholic would have probably gone 10-2 with that schedule, although I give them credit for escaping against Boise and Fresno, only since they got to play them on the island. The fact this team is in the BCS is a classic reason why the BCS should cease to exist.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 02:24 AM)
It's virtually assured.... Their other choices are ASU (they don't want a Pac 10 conference game), Hawaii (No chance), Kansas (Hawaii of the midwest), WVU (coming off a loss to Wanny).

The only danger is if UGa is in the championship. OSU will be one, giving Rose the first replacement pick... and the most lucrative matchup would be LSU-USC, which might be better than the championship game)

Yeah, and UGa is out since they were not even in the SEC Title game. Illinois is in the Rose Bowl, it's just a shame that it has to be sweated out like this due to the joke that is Hawaii (and to a lesser extent, Kansas).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

What the BCS SHOULD look like (keeping with the rules of course)

National Championship-LSU vs. Ohio St.

Orange-Va. Tech vs. W. Virginia

Sugar-Georgia vs. Missouri

Fiesta-Oklahoma vs. Hawaii

Rose-USC vs. Illinois

It looks like KU is gonna get the nod over Mizzou, which is a joke.

I like the old system better, with one less BCS bowl. IMO it's too watered down now. No offense Illini fans, but you guys don't really deserve to be in a BCS bowl with three losses, same with Hawaii. Granted this is a weak year, but still.

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 01:58 AM)
I'm in favor of a playoff, but an 8 team playoff this year would still have Mizzou on the outside looking in.... It doesn't fix the problem you're complaining about.

Mizzou would drop from 1 to outside the top 8? Really? I would hope people have some logic and keep them ahead of Kansas in the polls since there is absolutely no way to justify Kansas. What is the BCS' attraction to Kansas ahead of Missouri anyway? There is no reason they would feel obligated to pick them. Both schools are the same size and have similar history so there is no advantage to picking Kansas financially. I don't see how you can justify Kansas, or why bowls would feel compelled to take them. On the plus side a BCS official said that after beating Kansas, Missouri would probably get in with a loss in the Big 12 game, so we'll see.

Funny thing is (and maybe I only see this because of bias) I still think Missouri has a better resume than Ohio State. Mizzou lost to one team and beat the team that Ohio State lost to. Ohio State didn't play anyone all year (Michigan isn't that good, didn't play Wisconsin). I can't argue with them going to the title game, but they still didn't prove a thing this year. Oh well, stupid BCS this year. No one should be national champs.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 04:39 AM)
Mizzou would drop from 1 to outside the top 8? Really? I would hope people have some logic and keep them ahead of Kansas in the polls since there is absolutely no way to justify Kansas. What is the BCS' attraction to Kansas ahead of Missouri anyway? There is no reason they would feel obligated to pick them. Both schools are the same size and have similar history so there is no advantage to picking Kansas financially. I don't see how you can justify Kansas, or why bowls would feel compelled to take them. On the plus side a BCS official said that after beating Kansas, Missouri would probably get in with a loss in the Big 12 game, so we'll see.

Funny thing is (and maybe I only see this because of bias) I still think Missouri has a better resume than Ohio State. Mizzou lost to one team and beat the team that Ohio State lost to. Ohio State didn't play anyone all year (Michigan isn't that good, didn't play Wisconsin). I can't argue with them going to the title game, but they still didn't prove a thing this year. Oh well, stupid BCS this year. No one should be national champs.

I am still holding out hope for the possibility that logic rules out and Mizzou drops, but not behind Kansas. I really think Kansas will drop this week, too. Let's just hope the committee realizes what a travesty it would be to pick Kansas over Mizzou when Kansas played nobody, Mizzou lost to one team who defensively is as talented as any team in the country minus USC and the biggest fact that Mizzou BEAT Kansas. Let's just pray.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 02:24 AM)

What's preventing the Rose Bowl from picking Georgia instead of Illinois??

Guys let's remember one thing about the BCS. It's sole purpose when it was created was to put the two best teams in the Championship game, that's it. It was never designed to make sure the #6 team gets rewarded with a BCS bowl appearance.

They have tweaked the system in the past years to help make it more balanced and to give the non-BCS schools a chance to be involved (and keep the government out of it), but the bottom line is those matchups are not the main purpose of the BCS.

While some may argue, I think after everything that has happened, that OSU and LSU are the two most deserving teams. There are no great teams this year. None. So you take the best two of the survivors of a really strange season. The season was nuts, but I think the BCS worked again. There are no real strong arguments out there for any teams other than LSU and OSU to be in the title game.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 10:51 AM)
What's preventing the Rose Bowl from picking Georgia instead of Illinois??

Tradition, power and money. I would be SHOCKED if the Rose picked an equally qualified Georgia team over Illinois. Yeah, Georgia lost 2, Illinois lost three. Illinois has the best win of anyone in the country, a win AT the home of the for sure lock team for the NC.

Personally though, I don't see why Oklahoma can't jump to the NC game. They won their conference championship, have played well, just pounded the #1 team. They have two bad losses, just like LSU has two bad losses to Kentucky and Arkansas. Don't give me this crap about them beating 6 ranked teams - we all know the SEC was overrated and ranked based on reputation, not what was on the field. Moreover, they needed last second trick plays and overtime to win some of those.

Georgia in the NC game would be a joke - a team that not only didn't win their conference championship but also a team that didn't win their own division.

Honestly I'd like to see Virginia Tech against OSU too. Something different. I'm so tired of OSU and LSU. We just saw that what, two years ago?

This is why the system is so messed up. Too many teams to choose from, and someone is going to get screwed. If we had an 8 team playoff, we could rank the top 8 teams that deserve to be there and have them play it out.