Official College Football Thread

Does anyone other than me hate the fact that Fox has the BCS bowl games? They do ZERO college football all year and then jump right into the BCS with their NFL talent covering.

I hate it!

This whole BCS Selection Show is stupid as well. I'm sorry, but college football and the bowls are NOT the NCAA Tournament. And that is okay.

Edited by Rex Hudler

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 08:00 PM)
Does anyone other than me hate the fact that Fox has the BCS bowl games? They do ZERO college football all year and then jump right into the BCS with their NFL talent covering.

I hate it!

This whole BCS Selection Show is stupid as well. I'm sorry, but college football and the bowls are NOT the NCAA Tournament. And that is okay.

Yeah... The only thing worse than those announcers trying to tell me about a team (in a sport they haven't covered all year) is this damn show. I turned it off. I'll find out later. Without the commercials or blue balls.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
This is what cracks me up about trying to pick the best conference. How do we know the SEC was good? How do you know the Big 12 was solid? Seems to me the big 12 is just as good as the big ten - a couple of "top" teams (even though only one team truly proved its better - OU) and the rest were crap. The SEC was the same way. Rankings mean diddly crap because at the beginning of the year the SEC had some highly ranked teams, who then played and beat up each other. So even if Team A sucks and beats Team B who also sucks, if Team B happens to be ranked then it looks like a "good loss" to a "good team." With no reference whatsoever, its hard to compare conferences and decide who is better - unless there's a top matchup, like a Texas-OSU, in the non-conference part of the schedule.

And after this season I'm officially just as good at predicting how good/bad teams are than the "experts." I think this season more than any other has proven that there are no "dominant" programs - with the reduction in scholarships more talent is going to mid-level teams, opening up more and more chances to beat "top" teams.

It much more has to do with the fact that USC, Ohio State, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, and to an extent LSU were very young teams (this list of teams makes up a vast majority of the national title contenders over the past 5-7 years). Next year those teams will be absolutely prime to dominate and we will see a number of awesome teams in college football (most of those teams have damn near everyone coming back and should be prime to have a shot at running the table).

Missouri got jewed, Kansas should definitely not be in.

I dont care what any of you think but USC is gonna destroy Illini. They basically got home field, also hottest team in country right now and JDB should be fully healthy even though yes he did play vs UCLA.

Well that was a tease. The rumor was that the Fiesta Bowl was the one that wanted Kansas so when they showed West Virginia was going to the Fiesta Bowl I thought Mizzou had a shot again. I still don't see any rationale for Kansas going in ahead of Missouri. Missouri won the division they are in, beat Kansas, and finished higher than them in the final BCS rankings. Don't say 1 loss because by using that argument you also think Hawaii should be in the national title.

About Missouri getting screwed, I thought Schlabach summed it up perfectly:

"Dallas (Boise, ID): Mizzou left out of the BCS and Kansas got in. What do you think?

Mark Schlabach: (8:19 PM ET ) Ridiculous. If I were a coach in the Big 12, ACC, SEC, I'd decline a chance to play in the league title game if my team qualified. Too much to lose. Mizzou beat Kansas during the regular season. Kansas played one of the worst non-conference schedules in the country. Didn't play Texas, Oklahoma or Texas Tech during the regular season. An absolute joke. "

As for USC destroying Illinois, if anything, this season has tought us that nothing is certain. And secondly, Standford. Nuff said. I don't care if they were injured or not in synch. USC's second string should have beaten Stanford. Here's a stat for you: USC beat a whopping.....TWO teams with winning records this year. TWO. Obviously USC has the talent to run over anyone in the country, but it makes me sick that people think they are the best team in the country when they have done nothing to prove that.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 07:00 PM)

I hate it!

It's been painful. They don't cover it all year, then they take these games. Johnson and Switzer are complete assclowns.

I'll say it again. Fox sucks!!!!!!!!

As far as Missouri and Kansas apparently it simply came down to the choice of the bowl itself. Both were eligible (I'm assuming). Unless there was some politicking by the Big 12 Conference itself, the choice was up to the Orange Bowl.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 07:26 PM)
Illinois is too athletic to get destroyed by anyone. And they are a better team than Mizzou is right now, they may not have been week 1, but I would certianly think they win on neutral turf today.

Illinois vs Usc in Pasadena? Um? Thats not exactly neutral lol. Illinois is a very young team and if your gonna beat USC and their #2 Def, your gonna have to do it in the air which Juice has been ok with this year but inconsistent.

Missouri really was never that good they never deserved to jump up that high in the BCS rankings all year its obvious the BCS favored any team who was unbeaten. If Illlinois played Mizz now its still a toss up, hell who cares its over Mizz got jewed just leave it at that.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 02:33 AM)
Illinois vs Usc in Pasadena? Um? Thats not exactly neutral lol. Illinois is a very young team and if your gonna beat USC and their #2 Def, your gonna have to do it in the air which Juice has been ok with this year but inconsistent.

I meant if Mizzou played Illinois.

We made the freakin Rose Bowl. That didn't seem possible at the start of the year - most of us were looking up the date of the Motor City bowl, and hoping we ended up there.

USC is easily a better team. They should win and most likely will win, perhaps by 20. A loss in this game is pretty irrelevant to Illinois fans at this point in time, because we're. in. the. rose. bowl. After the past 5 seasons, that's just unthinkable.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 07:33 PM)
hell who cares its over Mizz got jewed just leave it at that.

I don't know, people who go there/went there, etc? You're telling me if Illinois wasn't in the same position and didn't get in you wouldn't care?

As for the Fox position, their coverage isn't bad other than their announcers lol. Thom drives me crazy.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
what a f***ing joke and what a f***ing horrible BCS. Hopefully they learn their lessons with horrible ratings this year. Michigan vs. Florida in the capitol one bowl should be one of the better games.

That should be a good game.

I actually kind of like the Mizzou vs Arkansas matchup in the Cotton bowl. Two fun teams to watch.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
what a f***ing joke and what a f***ing horrible BCS. Hopefully they learn their lessons with horrible ratings this year. Michigan vs. Florida in the capitol one bowl should be one of the better games.

LOL, that's a terrible argument. Of all the problems you could come up with, this is the one you name and use Michigan as an example. Well done.

Mizzou loses to the number 3 team twice, Kansas plays nobody and loses to Mizzou, Hawaii plays nobody, LSU loses to two unranked teams, USC loses to Stanford, West Virginia loses to Pittsburgh, and Mizzou is the one that gets left out.

And, bitter for me because Florida/Michigan play at the same time as Texas Tech/Virginia on January 1st.

Edited by Palehosefan

Pretty pumped, students can get free tickets to the Insight Bowl. So all we're needing to worry about now is travel.

The IU Department of Athletics will provide one free ticket to current IU students that call to reserve their seat by Dec. 15. IU students must show a valid IU Student ID to pick up their ticket at Sun Devil Stadium on gameday. IU student tickets will not be mailed. IU students should call 866-IUSPORTS or 812-855-4006 to reserve their ticket. There is a limit of one free ticket per currently enrolled IU student.