Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 02:27 AM)
The orange chose kansas first out of the open spots, i know they had first pick followed by Fiesta. I think we were in more demand than I thought.

miami-area restaurants were clamoring for kansas.

:ph34r:

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 03:27 AM)
The orange chose kansas first out of the open spots, i know they had first pick followed by Fiesta. I think we were in more demand than I thought.

If what I heard is right, Rose had first pick and took Illinois. Sugar had second followed by the Orange then Fiesta.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 07:42 PM)
LOL, that's a terrible argument. Of all the problems you could come up with, this is the one you name and use Michigan as an example. Well done.

What? I was just saying that should be a good game, not an example.

Missouri not in is BS. VT not facing WVU, are you kidding me? Georgia vs. USC would be a great rose bowl... just plain idiotic.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 07:32 AM)
The first coaches poll is out today, and we're less than a month away from the first kickoff.

Top 25 Coaches' Poll

1. Southern California (45) 11-2 1,481

2. LSU (4) 11-2 1,372

3. Florida (9) 13-1 1,278

4. Texas 10-3 1,231

5. Michigan (2) 11-2 1,218

6. West Virginia 11-2 1,205

7. Wisconsin 12-1 1,114

8. Oklahoma 11-3 1,026

9. Virginia Tech 10-3 1,005

10. Ohio State 12-1 919

11. Louisville 12-1 836

12. California 10-3 763

13. Georgia 9-4 604

14. Auburn 11-2 595

15. Tennessee 9-4 583

16. Rutgers 11-2 466

17. UCLA 7-6 454

18. Penn State 9-4 440

19. Nebraska 9-5 388

20. Arkansas 10-4 360

21. Florida State 7-6 301

22. TCU 11-2 233

23. Boise State 13-0 222

24. Hawaii 11-3 214

25. Texas A&M 9-4 209

Others receiving votes (with 2006) records:

Boston College (10-3) 150; Georgia Tech (9-5) 150; Miami (Fla.) (7-6) 91; Notre Dame (10-3) 90;

South Carolina (8-5) 90; Wake Forest (11-3) 71; Missouri (8-5) 58; Oregon State (10-4) 52;

Brigham Young (11-2) 47; Clemson (8-5) 30; Oregon (7-6) 30; South Florida (9-4) 26;

Texas Tech (8-5) 20; Alabama (6-7) 16; Oklahoma State (7-6) 15; Southern Mississippi (9-5) 14;

Iowa (6-7) 12; Kansas State (7-6) 8; Memphis (2-10) 5; Houston (10-4) 4; Arizona (6-6) 1;

Duke (0-12) 1; Kentucky (8-5) 1; Washington State (6-6) 1.

just a review of the year.

Everyone complaining about Georgia not being in the Rose Bowl needs to refresh themselves on the rules. The Rose would have to ask permission from the Sugar for Georgia, being that the SEC Champ LSU got to the Nat'l Championship and Georgia was the next highest ranked SEC team. I doubt that the Sugar, being stuck with Hawaii already with the last pick, would be willing to give up one of the hottest teams in the country in Georgia just so the Rose Bowl can have a better matchup.

The selection for the second Rose Bowl spot was basically between Missouri, Kansas, West Virginia, Arizona State, and Illinois. The Rose Bowl does not have any reason to pick any of the other four teams available when they could keep the Big Ten/Pac 10 matchup that traditionally draws better than non Big Ten/Pac 10 Rose Bowls.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 09:06 PM)
I am in East Tennesee this weekend for a road trip of installs at some of our locations in the south. Its pretty amazing how into it the Knoxville area is. Everyone was wearing Orange and the local TV was covering the SEC championship game like the Bears playoff games. In Chicago we get some college pride, however nothing like this. It was pretty amazing to see.

Well time to find something to eat. Maybe something with a bar so I can see the rest of the Mizzou game.

Glad to hear you got a chance to see Knoxville. It's my home for 9 months out of the year. I'd say we sorta like our football around here, haha... How'd ya like it? You get a chance to eat out or go to any bars while there? Where'd ya stay?

On a side note, I was in Atlanta for the SEC championship game, and that game is Reason #1 why the Bears should not draft Erik Ainge. He sucks. Never plays well against good teams. I've tried to defend him before, while being critical... But now? He just sucks, and is the reason LSU is going to the National Championship rather that the Capitol One Bowl. F U Ainge!!!!!!! :angry: :fight

Oh, and I got to touch Tim Tebow's Heisman Trophy (lol). Took one of those posed picture in front of a green screen with like 7 of my buddies.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 08:57 PM)
Glad to hear you got a chance to see Knoxville. It's my home for 9 months out of the year. I'd say we sorta like our football around here, haha... How'd ya like it? You get a chance to eat out or go to any bars while there? Where'd ya stay?

On a side note, I was in Atlanta for the SEC championship game, and that game is Reason #1 why the Bears should not draft Erik Ainge. He sucks. Never plays well against good teams. I've tried to defend him before, while being critical... But now? He just sucks, and is the reason LSU is going to the National Championship rather that the Capitol One Bowl. F U Ainge!!!!!!! :angry: :fight

I am just outside of Knoxville in Morristown Tn. We have a plant there. I have been here since Friday. My trip so far has had me in Atlanta on Wednesday, I drove from Atlanta to just north of Bristol, VA on Thursday, and now back into Morristown. This is my second time in the area, the last time I also stopped down in Gatlinburg and got my picture at Cooter's garage next to the General Lee. Skipped the Dollyworld experience thought, lol. I have to say, some of the nicest people are in the area and my trip has been filled with some very nice hospitality.

On Monday afternoon, I return home. Its been a lot of driving, a lot of hard work. I cant wait to go home.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 09:02 PM)
June Jones just called Tim Tebow a "system quarterback" on ESPN. Basically was trashing Tebow left and right, said he wasn't an accurate passer, etc.

Seriously? That kid not only can run like crazy but he has a ridiculous arm.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 09:02 PM)
June Jones just called Tim Tebow a "system quarterback" on ESPN. Basically was trashing Tebow left and right, said he wasn't an accurate passer, etc.

That was great - good for him. Tebow has been great this year, but I think guys like Brennan will be playing on Sunday whereas Tebow will be coaching em up on Saturdays. When you put the ball in Tebow's hands down a touchdown or two in the 4th quarter, he doesn't perform. Hence their three losses.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
I am just outside of Knoxville in Morristown Tn. We have a plant there. I have been here since Friday. My trip so far has had me in Atlanta on Wednesday, I drove from Atlanta to just north of Bristol, VA on Thursday, and now back into Morristown. This is my second time in the area, the last time I also stopped down in Gatlinburg and got my picture at Cooter's garage next to the General Lee. Skipped the Dollyworld experience thought, lol. I have to say, some of the nicest people are in the area and my trip has been filled with some very nice hospitality.

On Monday afternoon, I return home. Its been a lot of driving, a lot of hard work. I cant wait to go home.

Ah, nice. I've got a couple friends from Morristown. Glad to hear the people are treating you well. I'd wouldn't really want to live in East TN when I'm older, but I love it right now as a college student.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 09:12 PM)
That was great - good for him. Tebow has been great this year, but I think guys like Brennan will be playing on Sunday whereas Tebow will be coaching em up on Saturdays. When you put the ball in Tebow's hands down a touchdown or two in the 4th quarter, he doesn't perform. Hence their three losses.

I don't care how they portray into the NFL, and your accuracy on that statement is questionable. The Heisman, or who is a better player than whom, has NOTHING to do with the nfl or draft status.

And Tebow is easily the best player in the nation and is having one of the best qb seasons in the history of college football.

And three losses? Brennan played me and 10 friends on defense week to week and barely won many of them. They play Florida's schedule and they have more than 3 losses.

If the Heisman vote is even close the voters should be ashamed of themselves.

Jones sounded like a complete moron.

Edited by IlliniKrush

This was such an awful weekend. Missouri traveled very well for knowing they were going just a week in advance to a place that is a 14 hour drive away. It may have been 55-45 oklahoma fans. What a stupid f***ing bowl system.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 09:19 PM)
I don't care how they portray into the NFL, and your accuracy on that statement is questionable. The Heisman, or who is a better player than whom, has NOTHING to do with the nfl or draft status.

And Tebow is easily the best player in the nation and is having one of the best qb seasons in the history of college football.

And three losses? Brennan played me and 10 friends on defense week to week and barely won many of them. They play Florida's schedule and they have more than 3 losses.

If the Heisman vote is even close the voters should be ashamed of themselves.

Jones sounded like a complete moron.

Lol, the Heismann has nothing to do with who is better than who. You don't think there's politicking involved? Hell Mike Hart continued to get pub for it even when he was sitting out games and two or three other big ten running backs had better numbers.

And you play the schedule you're given. I don't doubt that if Hawaii played in the SEC or other major conference they wouldn't have gone 12-0. But so what? The fact is he lead his team to a great season. But more importantly, he holds tons and tons of PASSING records for qb's in all of college football. What I heard from Jones was: Brennan is a QB, Tebow is an option QB. Brennan can make all the throws, Tebow is an option QB.

Tebow will probably win the Heismann, he had a great year. But how many Heismann winners succeed on sundays? More importantly, how many option qb's succeed on sunday? For some reason the NFL keeps trying, *cough "#10 best player of all time" cough*, yet they never do well. Go ask Eric Couch how the NFL treated him. Lets see, QB, WR, kick returner, towel boy. I see the same thing for Tebow.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
Lol, the Heismann has nothing to do with who is better than who. You don't think there's politicking involved? Hell Mike Hart continued to get pub for it even when he was sitting out games and two or three other big ten running backs had better numbers.

And you play the schedule you're given. I don't doubt that if Hawaii played in the SEC or other major conference they wouldn't have gone 12-0. But so what? The fact is he lead his team to a great season. But more importantly, he holds tons and tons of PASSING records for qb's in all of college football. What I heard from Jones was: Brennan is a QB, Tebow is an option QB. Brennan can make all the throws, Tebow is an option QB.

Tebow will probably win the Heismann, he had a great year. But how many Heismann winners succeed on sundays? More importantly, how many option qb's succeed on sunday? For some reason the NFL keeps trying, *cough "#10 best player of all time" cough*, yet they never do well. Go ask Eric Couch how the NFL treated him. Lets see, QB, WR, kick returner, towel boy. I see the same thing for Tebow.

Tebow's as a pro should be fun to watch...