Official College Football Thread

good hire for michigan. it will be curious to see what develops with pryor. he is what rodriguez looks for in a quarterback. you take him and mcguffie and that's at least a nice starting point for a spread offense.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
good hire for michigan. it will be curious to see what develops with pryor. he is what rodriguez looks for in a quarterback. you take him and mcguffie and that's at least a nice starting point for a spread offense.

I hope that means Mallett decides to leave then. He would look great in scarlet and gray.

Personally im happy they didnt hire a better coach.

Edited by RockRaines

Personally im happy they didnt hire a better coach.

Like who? Vince Lombardi? Rich Rodriguez took a mediocre program and two 3 star recruits and turned the program into a top 10 team for the past 3 years. He's a great coach, whether it was his passing spread with Shaun King, his balanced spread with Woodrow Dantzler, or his running spread with Pat White. At 44 years old and at Michigan, I think he will go down as one of the all-time greats.

If he manages to pull Pryor to UM, coupled with Sam McGuffie, that's going to be a nasty team to try and stop. He never pulled in many 5 star players at West Virginia and has been doing what he's doing with mostly 2 and 3 star recruits with a few 4 stars each year.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
Like who? Vince Lombardi? Rich Rodriguez took a mediocre program and two 3 star recruits and turned the program into a top 10 team for the past 3 years. He's a great coach, whether it was his passing spread with Shaun King, his balanced spread with Woodrow Dantzler, or his running spread with Pat White. At 44 years old and at Michigan, I think he will go down as one of the all-time greats.

If he manages to pull Pryor to UM, coupled with Sam McGuffie, that's going to be a nasty team to try and stop. He never pulled in many 5 star players at West Virginia and has been doing what he's doing with mostly 2 and 3 star recruits with a few 4 stars each year.

Like one of their first 4 choices. All time greats huh? Mmm Hmmm.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 08:24 PM)
4th choice or not, RR arguably has a more impressive resume than any of them I would say.

He's a good coach in the Big East. He hasnt tasted the Big Ten, the biggest rivalry in football, and teams that bring in the top recruits in football. He better learn how to build a defense or he will be in trouble, if he lasts past the inevitable growing pains of not having the right kind of players for his system and teams that will have better talent than his for the next few seasons. But hey, lets see what he does when he actually takes the wheel, but hes got an uphill climb, especially if he's going to be one of the all time greats.

if he lasts past the inevitable growing pains of not having the right kind of players for his system and teams that will have better talent than his for the next few seasons.

I know it's pointless to argue this with an Ohio State fan, but I will anyways. How is he not going to have the right kind of players for his system? When he had Shaun King, he turned him into the all-time NCAA leader in passing efficiency and over 8,400 yards passing. When he had Woodrow Dantzler he turned him into the 1st player in NCAA history to throw for over 2,000 yards and rush for over 1,000 in a season when he finished with 2,578 passing yards and 1,061 rushing yards. When he had Pat White at QB and Slaton in the backfield, he turned them into the best rushing team in the nation. He takes whatever he is given and runs an effective spread.

If Mallett is their QB, he will run a passing spread in a similar fashion to Shaun King's Tulane days. If Pryor is the QB, he will either run the balanced spread ala Dantzler, or the rushing spread ala Rasheed Marshall and Pat White.

Who exactly in the Big 10 is going to have more talent in the Big 10 than Michigan? Michigan has had the best recruiting classes in the Big 10 in the past 5-10 years. Talent is not, and has not been the problem at UM.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 09:12 PM)
Lol, I think Rich Rodriguez was probably the best guy you can hire to any new job. I actually think in the longrun this will end up being a better move than even Les Miles would have been. Leave it to an OSU fan to think its a bad hire lol.

Dont think its a bad hire at all. But he was not the coach I was most worried about. And he was clearly not the first choice of UM either.

I hope Saban goes to West Virginia just for the understandable reaction it will get.

Oh, and Michigan is the favorite to get Terelle Pryor now. Him and Sam McGuffie will end all questions about an adjustment time for that offense. Yeah they will need a couple years to get a more agile offensive line to fit the team, but McGuffie and Pryor would really ease the process. Also, Mallet really needs to transfer.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Yes I'm sure um fans were wondering who tress was when we hired him, ( He DID have 4 titles in 1-aa) but at the same time were sad to see cooper go. If drod turns out to be one of the greats, ill admit I didn't see it.

Some of the reasons that I'm happier they hired him: his 8-11 record against ranked teams. I've seen his team blow more big games than win them. Also he won't be able to sneak in juco transfers and questionable players into um and its lofty standards academically. He also has shown a lack of defense on his teams. Um has always been offensively explosive, and that shouldn't change much, but their defense may suffer. I also love that he's bringing in the spread option, because as a lot of people who aren't osu or um fans don't realize, usually the third weekend in nov is the only week that matters, I'm encouraged that their qb may be a little beat up by then. Also the team will need a few years to adjust to his style of play, with osu rebuilding this year, and illinois improving, he could be in for some growing pains, and as he's shown by considering other programs before, and by leaving his alma mater, he could have one foot out the door by then. Fianlly his complete ignorance of michigan tradition and the best rivalry in sports. As an osu fan, I've seen the perils of bringing an outsider in and their lack of success against the team from up north, rr has never been a part of anything the magnitude of osu v michigan. Those are some of my reasons, and he still could be the second coming of bo, but on the surface I don't see it.

I apologize for my puntuation as well for I am typing from the road on my blackberry.

Also nowhere is it written except on mich boards that pryor is expected to go to mich, in fact he had a pretty negative comment about rr on scout and his job hopping tendencies. Not only that, but Pryor has mentioned 2 important things: He wants to go to a school with a good bball program, and he wants to play in the NFL. RR's system doesnt exactly groom NFL QB's.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
Yes I'm sure um fans were wondering who tress was when we hired him, but at the same time were sad to see cooper go. If drod turns out to be one of the greats, ill admit I didn't see it.

Some of the reasons that I'm happier they hired him: his 8-11 record against ranked teams. I've seen his team blow more big games than win them. Also he won't be able to sneak in juco transfers and questionable players into um and its lofty standards academically. He also has shown a lack of defense on his teams. Um has always been offensively explosive, and that shouldn't change much, but their defense may suffer. I also love that he's bringing in the spread option, because as a lot of people who aren't osu or um fans don't realize, usually the third weekend in nov is the only week that matters, I'm encouraged that their qb may be a little beat up by then. Also the team will need a few years to adjust to his style of play, with osu rebuilding this year, and illinois improving, he could be in for some growing pains, and as he's shown by considering other programs before, and by leaving his alma mater, he could have one foot out the door by then. Fianlly his complete ignorance of michigan tradition and the best rivalry in sports. As an osu fan, I've seen the perils of bringing an outsider in and their lack of success against the team from up north, rr has never been a part of anything the magnitude of osu v michigan. Those are some of my reasons, and he still could be the second coming of bo, but on the surface I don't see it.

I apologize for my puntuation as well for I am typing from the road on my blackberry.

Also nowhere is it written except on mich boards that pryor is expected to go to mich, in fact he had a pretty negative comment about rr on scout and his job hopping tendencies.

He will also be able to recruit much better at UM, but let's not mention that.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
Yes I'm sure um fans were wondering who tress was when we hired him, but at the same time were sad to see cooper go. If drod turns out to be one of the greats, ill admit I didn't see it.

Also nowhere is it written except on mich boards that pryor is expected to go to mich, in fact he had a pretty negative comment about rr on scout and his job hopping tendencies.

Are you sayin' the Backyard Brawl pales in comparison to OSU/UM???

And I hope Saban and Petrino get kicked back down to high school football...in Northern Alaska. Jackasses.

Edited by CanOfCorn

I'm not buying real interest from Saban here. What I do buy is that Jimmy Sexton, Saban's agent is trying to stir things up. That is what he does. He is the agent for six of the SEC's 12 coaches and a couple of NFL coaches as well, I believe. He's the Scott Boras of college football coaches and he or his "staff" floats rumors all the time.

I swear he manufacture's renegotiations and extensions by creating buzz/interest in his clients even when they have no interest in going anywhere.

So if you are into the negotiate a contract, float rumors to ruffle enough feathers to get your client an extension with a big raise on previously negotitated contract kind of guy, then Jimmy Sexton is your man.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 09:15 PM)
Who exactly in the Big 10 is going to have more talent in the Big 10 than Michigan? Michigan has had the best recruiting classes in the Big 10 in the past 5-10 years. Talent is not, and has not been the problem at UM.

I assume you are trying to compare talent levels at the big ten schools.

These are rough numbers since i had to count by hand and eye level

First round draft picks 1997-2006

OSU-15

UM-8

Overall NFL picks

OSU-74

UM-50

But I agree, UM has always recruited well, they just dont develop very well.