Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 12:42 PM)
RB Coach Fred Jackson has been re-hired by Rodriguez. He may or may not coach RB's, however (although it looks like he will). Two other assistants may be re-hired as well. Current rumors have them as Steve Stripling (D-line) and either Scott Loeffler (QB's) or Erik Campbell (WR's). Then again the rumors seem to be changing daily.

Seems awfully meaningless for the press it's getting. It's the assistant coaches at Michigan.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 10:05 AM)
Oh and on a random note, Florida Atlantic beat Memphis 44-27 in the New Orleans Bowl last night. It's really amazing, I think ANYBODY could build a really good program down in Florida. In 2000 they didn't even have a fooball team, they were 1-AA from 2001-2004, and now in their third year in 1-A, they have won a conference and bowl championship to cap a great season. "The program builder", Howard Schnellenberger, has done a great job there though now in his early 70's agewise.

In regards to FAU, it disappointed me to hear that the team was "a bunch of thugs. They were awful." One of my good friends plays for Memphis and just was taken aback by how bad the FAU's players sportsmanship was. He basically thought they were a bunch of assholes.

I thought it was a nice story seeing FAU do so well after only being a program for 7 years. But hearing what I heard sounds like there's not much discipline on that team. I don't know...

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
Seems awfully meaningless for the press it's getting. It's the assistant coaches at Michigan.

For those interested in Michigan and how it will affect it is meaningful. Not sure how much press it is getting outside of that realm.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 08:49 PM)
In regards to FAU, it disappointed me to hear that the team was "a bunch of thugs. They were awful." One of my good friends plays for Memphis and just was taken aback by how bad the FAU's players sportsmanship was. He basically thought they were a bunch of assholes.

I thought it was a nice story seeing FAU do so well after only being a program for 7 years. But hearing what I heard sounds like there's not much discipline on that team. I don't know...

I can't speak for the team, I only know 1 player on FAU although he's cool, but that's a shame to hear. I could believe they have no discipline though, how much control can a coach that old really keep? (SEE: State, Florida)

Ahh yes, tonight is a classic example of the payback that comes. Teams like Arizona State, Kansas, and Hawaii have gone a long way by playing nobody. Arizona State has gotten theirs lately, getting their ass kicked at home by USC and then being plowed tonight by Texas. Kansas got theirs against Mizzou, and will get theirs again against Viginia Tech, and Hawaii will get theirs against Georgia. It's all fun and games when you can get to double digit wins and a nice bowl by playing Poop State in your OOC, but when you face a real team in the bowl, payback is a b****.

Oh, and also, the great Pac 10 sees their co champ get spanked tonight and is off to an 0-2 start. That league is an overrated pile of rubbish too, even USC has their losses at home to STANFORD and at Oregon, a place so tough to win that 6-6 Cal won there when Dixon was healthy.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I was at the Holiday Bowl and it was a total blast (first time where my job paid off, cause Pac Life is my main client so I got hooked up with free tickets, free food, massive tailgate parties galore). I don't go to many football games but I was glad to see Texas give a old fashion beatdown to an overrated Pac 10 team.

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls07/bracket

Fun with bowl games.

Try and see if you can get a sim where Oklahoma doesn't win.

I simmed 6 different scenarios and OK came up every time.

First and only simulation, using the BCS rankings.

1st round, Illinois beats Oklahoma.

Florida wins it all.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 07:16 PM)
MSU giving BC all it can handle...

With one of the worst QB performances you'll see. MSU has dominated both lines and is losing this game, courtesy of 4 picks and 5 turnovers. Still a solid showing for a heavy underdog. Decent game.

Michigan State played a great game I thought today, but it was sabotaged by the embarassing play of Hoyer. They still could be pretty good next year though. Oregon State got their senior RB back just in time to beat Maryland 21-14 and save the Pac-10 total embarassment, and TCU beat Houston 20-13 in the Texas Bowl. That game was an example of how amazingly deep HS football talent in Texas is, those two teams are basically the leftover players that the Big 12 teams in state didn't want, and there was still speed and talent all over the field.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Was kind of surprised to hear that Michigan DC Ron English was very interested in the SIU job to the point of having Lloyd Carr and a couple of other people make calls for him and he got zero interest.

I'm not sure what kind of coach SIU got, but I have no doubt Ron English will make a good head coach someday soon. He's young, charismatic, recruits well and did a good job for Michigan. The spread caused Michigan defenses problems for sure, but it pretty much does for everybody. Injuries and inexperience really hurt his defense this year, but none of that will keep him from becoming a HC.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 30, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
Was kind of surprised to hear that Michigan DC Ron English was very interested in the SIU job to the point of having Lloyd Carr and a couple of other people make calls for him and he got zero interest.

I'm not sure what kind of coach SIU got, but I have no doubt Ron English will make a good head coach someday soon. He's young, charismatic, recruits well and did a good job for Michigan. The spread caused Michigan defenses problems for sure, but it pretty much does for everybody. Injuries and inexperience really hurt his defense this year, but none of that will keep him from becoming a HC.

Interesting. Coach Dale Lennon was hired from North Dakota State where he was very successful at 1-A level. If English got no interest from SIU, I find that worth of a head scratch. I think it is a good hire for SIU football, either way.

QUOTE(SnB @ Dec 30, 2007 -> 09:09 PM)
last year's NC game.

no one saw that coming.

Touche -- although in complete hindsight, Florida was much more of an athletic team than Ohio State was (or it sure seemed that way). Perhaps a close observer of both conferences (Rex?) can comment about the relative athleticism of both teams.

QUOTE(SnB @ Dec 30, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)
last year's NC game.

no one saw that coming.

Right event, wrong reason.

'No one saw it coming last year' is irrelevant to this game, or any other game in years coming.

But what last year's game does in my mind is assure that OSU will come out ready to play and give a pretty good effort. LSU wins if they up to capability, but OSU can pull it off (or cover) without it being labeled a miracle or a huge upset.