Man mauled by dogs at Ving Rhames Brentwood home

Steff

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=...&id=5537568

Brentwood Caretaker Dead, Was Mauled by DogsProperty Owned by Actor Ving Rhames

BRENTWOOD, Aug. 3, 2007 (KABC-TV) - The body of a caretaker has been discovered at a Brentwood property owned by actor Ving Rhames. Authorities say the man is a victim of a dog mauling.

Police say the victim is the 40-year-old caretaker of the property. There were apparently large dog bites on the body.

Police say they are not sure whether it was the dog mauling that proved fatal, or if the man suffered some other type of health problem.

A pair of 200-pound mastiffs have been quarantined by Animal Control, along with two other dogs found on the property.

A police spokesman says the death appears to be a "tragic accident." The victim, who hasn't been identified, had worked at the actor's home for about two years and was responsible for caring for the dogs, said Los Angeles Police officer Sandra Gonzalez.

Police got a call at 7:15 a.m. from someone reporting a dead body at the home. Gonzalez didn't know who made the call.

The victim was found on the front lawn, she said.

Rhames, 46, who appeared in the "Mission Impossible" series of films, wasn't at home when the attack occurred, she said.

I'm not familiar with Mastiffs. Are they an aggressive breed?

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)
I'm not familiar with Mastiffs. Are they an aggressive breed?

I've never heard of mastiffs ever attacking. They are really sweet tempered usually, and very calm. Like couch potato dogs. Very weird.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
I've never heard of mastiffs ever attacking. They are really sweet tempered usually, and very calm. Like couch potato dogs. Very weird.

Kind of like bulldog lazy?

They can be used as a guard dog, just like any dog, depends on the training. But they are known to be very good tempered dogs. From the video on TMZ, they didnt look aggresive at all. The police were walking them out and they were just wagging their tails(except for one, which they had a muzzle on). CNN wrote something indicating they didnt know if the guy was dead before the dogs found him or not.

It would be a shame if all 4 dogs were put down because of what one dog did.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 02:40 PM)
CNN wrote something indicating they didnt know if the guy was dead before the dogs found him or not.

From the article above..

"Police say they are not sure whether it was the dog mauling that proved fatal, or if the man suffered some other type of health problem."

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
Lets wait and see if the guy was already dead.

And yeah, if just one crazy dog killed him, let's hope they don't have to put all of them down.

I hope the person died of an illness or something and just collapsed on the ground and the dogs found and chewed on him like they would do with any dead animal they would find. Never like to hear of dog attacks.