Any martial arts practitioners here?

LowerCaseRepublican

This seems to be something that hasn't been talked about much here. We've talked about working out and body discipline in that fashion but I was wondering if anybody is an active martial artist and if so, what martial art?

I am thinking about beginning in learning tae kwon do or jujitsu (trying to decide which one, leaning toward TKD). Just something to add to the self-control/self-discipline/self-improvement discussions we've had previously regarding working out, nutrition, etc.

Tae Kwan Do is a sport - not an art. Just know that going in. Not much there for self-defense, or physical/mental discipline, or other things that I would say are the benefits of learning a martial art.

Hap Ki Do would be my recommendation. PM if you want further details.

I'm "retired", but have spent much time with:

Hapkido (this was my main style)

Tai Chi

Tea Kwon Do

And spent time learning PFS (Progressive Fight Systems) which was basically teaching the Jeet Kun Do theory. It was great stuff and I worked with it for over a year, but the guy teaching was a little "psycho" and you had to be REALLY dedicated to move up in that stuff. These guys did their knife sparring with real knives. The most bada** group of guys I have ever met, and by far the best fighters I have ever seen.

I finally gave up on the Arts when everybody I was working with started going to ground fighting. I agree the stuff is the best for street fighting purposes, but I finally realized I had no interest in rolling on the ground with some smelly, sweaty guy. Ugh.

Oh, and I agree with the comment of TKD. It's not REAL Martial Arts. Sorry.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
I actually was quite the Marshall artist at one time. Then my amp blew and I bought a Fender instead.

and boy did you use to rock...

rick_whiteamps_416x300.jpg

wah..wah..wah...

funny you should say that...as a painter that is something I specialized in

thurgood_marshall_portrait_cropped.1.jpg

george_c_marshall.jpg

john_marshall_portrait.jpg

marshall artist......

I have studied

JKD for a couple of years

Brazilian juijitsu for a couple of years

MMA for a couple of years..

What people above failed to ask.. What are you doing this for?

IMO, either start with KungFu or JKD, both give you a basis foundation for other forms. I did it backwards, I took Brazilian jujitsu, then stand up.

But, in the end you need to tell me/us what your goals are for this..Brazilian is amazing for cardio, I was in the best shape (cardio wise) in my life when I trained. 6 hours a week of sparing will kick your ass into shape fast.

QUOTE(SoxFan77 @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
I have studied

JKD for a couple of years

Brazilian juijitsu for a couple of years

MMA for a couple of years..

IMO, either start with KungFu or JKD, both give you a basis foundation for other forms. I did it backwards, I took Brazilian jujitsu, then stand up.

But, in the end you need to tell me/us what your goals are for this..Brazilian is amazing for cardio, I was in the best shape (cardio wise) in my life when I trained. 6 hours a week of sparing will kick your ass into shape fast.

he wants to be a non-pasty skinning white kid...

and kill zombies.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
I actually was quite the Marshall artist at one time. Then my amp blew and I bought a Fender instead.

My Marshall is on the fritz. I still love her though, and really need to get it fixed. It keeps blowing its fuse.

QUOTE(SoxFan77 @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)

Basically, just a zest to learn something new and something useful that I am interested in. And if it is practical to use, then it is all the more helpful.

One thing I have found is that TKD and Karate schools are affordable. More unique styled schools, such as those teaching a traditional Kung Fu (which is what I have always REALLY wanted to learn), you need to take out a second mortgage. One school I looked into that taught traditional Southern Preying Mantis was only $300 a month. :crying

Found an aikido dojo in downtown Urbana. They offer two month introductory adult classes basic techniques, etiquette and safety for $50. If the instructor consents after the two month session, then you can join the dojo as a member ($45 a month and $20 a year to the US Aikido Foundation).

After I complete my move, I am going to go see if I can sit in on a class to see if I'd like it and then if I do, go for the introductory classes. (And damn, I am tired. I spent all day loading and unloading boxes and then cleaning my apartment a little bit. I've got more to do tomorrow too, haha.)

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)
Found an aikido dojo in downtown Urbana. They offer two month introductory adult classes basic techniques, etiquette and safety for $50. If the instructor consents after the two month session, then you can join the dojo as a member ($45 a month and $20 a year to the US Aikido Foundation).

After I complete my move, I am going to go see if I can sit in on a class to see if I'd like it and then if I do, go for the introductory classes. (And damn, I am tired. I spent all day loading and unloading boxes and then cleaning my apartment a little bit. I've got more to do tomorrow too, haha.)

Everything Gleason said. Plus, Aikido is where many of Hapkido's forms originate from. Hapkido (Royal Korean martial art) is a hybrid of sorts.

If you are looking for the sparring aspect, Aikido might not be the best choice. But for the building of physical and mental stamina and balance, and some cool stuff, its a great choice.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 08:03 AM)
Everything Gleason said. Plus, Aikido is where many of Hapkido's forms originate from. Hapkido (Royal Korean martial art) is a hybrid of sorts.

If you are looking for the sparring aspect, Aikido might not be the best choice. But for the building of physical and mental stamina and balance, and some cool stuff, its a great choice.

It sounds pretty cool. I did a little reading on it and I loved the story about the creator of aikido being attacked by an armed assailant (had a sword) and he defeated the armed attacker simply by dodging every blow until the armed guy got too tired to continue. The philosophy of it is something that I really like.

I also heard back from the dojo. I can try out a class before going into the introductory adult program and gave me a lot of information about appropriate attire for the intro program, etc. Seems like it could be a pretty intriguing thing to work with.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 09:04 AM)
It sounds pretty cool. I did a little reading on it and I loved the story about the creator of aikido being attacked by an armed assailant (had a sword) and he defeated the armed attacker simply by dodging every blow until the armed guy got too tired to continue. The philosophy of it is something that I really like.

I also heard back from the dojo. I can try out a class before going into the introductory adult program and gave me a lot of information about appropriate attire for the intro program, etc. Seems like it could be a pretty intriguing thing to work with.

Ask if the school is attached to Jeff Clayton at all. If it is, then you have a great place there. Jeff is one of the highest up on the Aikido chain in these parts. He's a nice guy. He was also my art teacher when I was in junior high. Good artist, both Martial and with a brush.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 10:04 AM)

I think you meant it could be cool, and by cool, I mean totally sweet.