Are Tigers '07 the White Sox of '06?

BFirebird

After seeing their Post All-Star slide, problems with their offense, starting pitching struggling a bit and bullpen problems does anyone else think the Tigers look like the Sox of last year. Both teams started off hot with the bats and cooled down during the season and although I haven't compared records between the two teams they seem to have similar problems. Am I crazy or could these Tigers be like the Sox of last year and now either Minnesota or Cleveland will win the division?

The 06 Tigers had some similarities to the 05 White Sox and the trend continues this year. I've been saying this for a while. They added their big bat (Sheffield vs. Thome) and the offense is/was top in the league. The pitching has been slightly disappointing.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
I brought this up in a thread a couple weeks ago.

2006 Tigers = 2005 White Sox

2006 Twins = 2005 Indians (almost)

2007 Tigers = 2006 White Sox

2007 Indians = 2006 Tigers

dude, that's an awesome avatar. Noah is going to be a stud. I just bought a Noah Bulls Jersey.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)
I brought this up in a thread a couple weeks ago.

2006 Tigers = 2005 White Sox

2006 Twins = 2005 Indians (almost)

2007 Tigers = 2006 White Sox

2007 Indians = 2006 Tigers

So which team will be the 2007 White Sox in 2008?

QUOTE(earthshiner @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)
I had this thought today actually. The '06 Tigers mirrored the '05 Sox so why not.

I can think of a couple reasons that statement is false.

We won the Division, going wire to wire in 1st Place...they didn't.

We won the World Series...they didn't.

But other than those small items...yeah, basically just like us. :lol:

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 11:51 PM)
You should probably be suspended for that thing. I know you actually don't like the guy but still, that is one scary thing to look at.

Perhaps I should just reduce it to the 3 gap-shots? :huh

The Tigers just may have blown their one and only shot last year. Their pitching (9th in the AL in ERA) is a shell of what it was last year and the slump that they're currently in is what happens when you rely on your lineup to out-slug the opposition. I don't think that they win the division this year. They may even come up short of the WC.

QUOTE(BFirebird @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 07:26 PM)
After seeing their Post All-Star slide, problems with their offense, starting pitching struggling a bit and bullpen problems does anyone else think the Tigers look like the Sox of last year. Both teams started off hot with the bats and cooled down during the season and although I haven't compared records between the two teams they seem to have similar problems. Am I crazy or could these Tigers be like the Sox of last year and now either Minnesota or Cleveland will win the division?

Thinking the exact same thing the other day! Same with the poster that said the 06' Tigers=05' Sox.(minus World Series). 06' Tigers relied on great starting starting pitching to win games, and scored barely enough runs to wins just like the 05' team. Also they had a great bullpen similiar to the 05' Sox. Then last off-season they decide to get the big bat and acquire Sheffield to get more run support. Sound familiar? Like the Sox did when they got Thome? Now the 07 Tigers score a ton of runs, have inconsistent pitching, and a horrid bullpen that craps in their pants whenever runners are on. Sounds like a mirror image of the 06' Sox. The similiarities are endless.

Tigers are in a down period right now, no doubt about that. They have Leyland and they should get Sheffield and Rogers back for the stretch drive. I see them in it until the end, for the division. For the wild card, I see the Yankees, they are absolutely rolling and gaining more and more momentum.

Couple of similarities.

Like already mentioned, Sheffield = Thome

Dye's MVP 2006 Season = Maggs MVP 2007 Season

Pitching underperforming following post-season run

And hopefully, Twins 10.5 out of first on August 7, 2006 win the division on the last day of the regular season = Sox 10.5 out of first on August 7, 2007 win the division.

QUOTE(PorkChopExpress @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
Couple of similarities.

Like already mentioned, Sheffield = Thome

Dye's MVP 2006 Season = Maggs MVP 2007 Season

Pitching underperforming following post-season run

And hopefully, Twins 10.5 out of first on August 7, 2006 win the division on the last day of the regular season = Sox 10.5 out of first on August 7, 2007 win the division.

Well great...optimism. :stick